website statistics

Weightlifting 2016 Discussion Thread

PetrC.

54 minutes ago, dcro said:

Also, unofficially Kosovo and Equatorial Guinea received wild cards for men's events. If that really happens that would be really bad, a waste of quotas actually. Their athletes are much weaker than Oceania's...

These are unofficial wild cards so far (according to Indian NOC, apparently).

Men - :SRI:KOS:GEQ + 3 remaining

Women - :BAN:MAD + 2 remaining

Even if all remaining go to Oceania, some good nations will still miss out. Plus, this list is also missing America.

Don't like all of the wild cards, except :MAD 

I mean what Kosovo will do with a guy that lifts lower than ladies in Rio?

10 minutes ago, Bearas said:

Don't like all of the wild cards, except :MAD 

I mean what Kosovo will do with a guy that lifts lower than ladies in Rio?

Sri Lanka is justified...

----

I don't think those wildcards are real. All qualification documents say wildcards are decided after all qualification is ended.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Also, unofficially Kosovo and Equatorial Guinea received wild cards for men's events. If that really happens that would be really bad, a waste of quotas actually. Their athletes are much weaker than Oceania's...

These are unofficial wild cards so far (according to Indian NOC, apparently).

Men - :SRI:KOS:GEQ + 3 remaining

Women - :BAN:MAD + 2 remaining

Even if all remaining go to Oceania, some good nations will still miss out. Plus, this list is also missing America.

Men - :SRI + (:LBA:ESA:FSM:TUV+ :KIRor:NRUif one doesn't qualify)

Women - :MAD +  (:MHL:SOL:NCA)

For me this is acceptable!

While Kosovo is undeserving I feel the tripartite commission will be kind to it since this will be its first Olympics. I can see it also getting spots in archery and shooting (plus the usual athletics and swimming).

Edited by JoshMartini007

On 23/05/2016 at 15:28, JoshMartini007 said:

Looks like the turmoil in Papua New Guinea's weightlifting federation has cost them a spot at the Olympics (I'm not even sure if the tripartite commission would award them a spot because of that).

On 23/05/2016 at 17:31, dcro said:

I think priority should definitely be given to the likes of Palau, Tuvalu...

PNG will not have a lifter for the first time since 1984. And also, sadly, Dika Toua won't be able to attend her 5th Olympics.

No need to worry! Papau New Guinea will be in Rio as long as they accept the reallocated quota that they are likely to be given for Loa Dika Toua in the Women's -53kg, she is currently ranked 15th in her weight category and that means she is 99.999% likely to be reallocated a quota.

45 minutes ago, uk12points said:

No need to worry! Papau New Guinea will be in Rio as long as they accept the reallocated quota that they are likely to be given for Loa Dika Toua in the Women's -53kg, she is currently ranked 15th in her weight category and that means she is 99.999% likely to be reallocated a quota.

That's great news. Dika Toua is perhaps the only lifter that competed at every Olympics since the introduction of women's weightlifting in 2000.

She is also the first woman who lifted at the Olympics, as she opened the women's -48kg event in 2000.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Matej Kováč -105kg the reigning under 23 european champion will use the Slovakian weightlifting quota. The Slovak weighlifting federation announced today.

Congrats Matej! enjoy your olympic debut. :cheer:

source in slovak http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/218391/olympijska-sutaz-vo-vzpierani-s-jednym-slovakom/