website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

1 minute ago, dcro said:

FIS can be tricked so easily. You just need the same five skiers contesting interval races again and again, while trying to keep time differences between themselves to a minimum.

Eventually their FIS points could come as close to 0.00 as you'd like...

Which is basically 140 if they don't have the level to gain better points in other races :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Agger said:

I'm sure that in some dictator-like country there would be major potential in creating a breeding program like thing with athletes instead of horses. :p

You are thinking way too complicated. You can just genetically engineer people. In China they already used CRISPR on twin babies.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which is basically 140 if they don't have the level to gain better points in other races :p 

For a start, yes. Let's say they keep their time differences to a minimum and score something like 140, 141, 142.

Once they lower their average to such values, next race (between the same five skiers) would award 112 ((140+141+142) / 3.75) points to the winner.

Another cycle and the winner gets 91 pts. Another and it is 73, followed by 59, 48, 39 and so on before coming to 0.00, easily in a space of one Olympic cycle. The 3.75 divider makes all the magic. :p

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

When it comes to the reallocation, yes. When it comes to the top-30, I read it as in that case they'd get one ticket via D.1 (done by Jaque Mourao at the world championships) and one ticket via D.2 (which would be done by a 30th place in the ranking). Not like D.2 only says the total they'd get, but it's one ticket from D.1 and one from D.2 (if all works out, of course).

Qskoig2.png

D.3 is not about reallocation, but about remaining places: "The remaining quota places (...) will be allocated to NOCs based on the FIS Cross Country Nation Ranking 2020-2021per gender in four (4) allocation rounds (...)  During this process once an NOC has achieved the maximum total number of eight (8) places per gender it will no longer be counted and the next eligible NOC on the FIS Cross-Country Nation Ranking2020-2021 per gender will be allocated a place."

If you were wrong about D.1 and D.2, meaning 30th place of the nations ranking would NOT receive an additional place from D.2, it would not be possible for a NOC for "no longer to be counted" in round 4 of the D.3 process. That is, no NOC could reach the maximum number of 8 places before round 4 of D.3 is closed. Thus, I think you are right ;)

I really hope that Bolshunov won’t medal. Him attacking the finish guy really annoyed me. I don’t really care about the doping, but I always hate it when skinny guys try to act tough.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.