website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 6/14/2023 at 3:30 PM, OlympicsFan said:

Probably the best roster „we“ ever had. Too bad that Hartenstein, Olinde, Jallow and Reaves aren’t part of the roster. Completely understandable that Reaves decided to compete for the US instead, but I don’t really see any chance for him to make the Olympics next year (while he easily would have made the German team for Paris, should they qualify).

Personally I would cut Wohlfarth-Bottermann, Kratzer, Sengfelder, Da Silva, Hollatz and Krämer/Obst.

I listened to the lecture of Gordon Herbert at the Belgrade clinic this weekend. He was pretty good. 

22 minutes ago, nenad said:

I listened to the lecture of Gordon Herbert at the Belgrade clinic this weekend. He was pretty good. 

Yes, I think the German federation is very lucky to have him. Without him the German federation also wouldn’t have been able to hire Lisa Thomaidis for the women’s team (it was him who made her aware of the job opening), which very likely would have meant no qualification for the OQT. In general Germany should hire more foreign coaches, especially in sports where German coaches have proven again and again that they don’t know how to coach athletes to compete at world level. For example Germany used to be elite in pole vault and shot put, but nowadays German coaches have no clue how to develop world class athletes in those disciplines. Herbert did a great job at the Euros last year, hopefully he will be able to again coach the team to the same level at Worlds this year. On paper the team (so far … :fingers:) is certainly better than it was last year (addition of Kleber/Bonga/M. Wagner + F. Wagner being one year older). Germany is missing athletic wings (like pretty much all other nations except the US/Canada) and maybe one more elite ball-handler (of course having a more physical big like Hartenstein also would have helped). I think the roster justifies considering Germany at least a top 8 team (behind the US, Canada, Australia, Spain, France, Serbia and maybe Greece). The US and Canada are obviously better on paper if they play at full strength, but in my opinion all the other teams I mentioned aren’t lightyears ahead of Germany in terms of individual quality.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Yeah, I saw this power rankings stuff and people literally losing their minds over it. First of all, it's more like a game and one man opinion (I know Igor Ćurković from Croatia was doing it until now). So, it's just an informed opinion of one individual. Some teams are going to use it as a motivation of course. 

I'm thinking of doing my own power rankings here, I just need to see the rosters first. And then, maybe I could make a list. Without full rosters it's meaningless. 

Edited by nenad

6 minutes ago, nenad said:

Yeah, I saw this power rankings stuff and people literally losing their minds over it. First of all, it's more like a game and one man opinion (I know Igor Ćurković from Croatia was doing it until now). So, it's just an informed opinion of one individual. Some teams are going to use it as a motivation of course. 

I'm thinking of doing my own power rankings here, I just need to see the rosters first. And then, maybe I could make a list. Without full rosters it's meaningless. 

when will we have Serbia's preliminary squad announcement?

Just now, George_D said:

when will we have Serbia's preliminary squad announcement?

I don't have a clue. I was little bit surprised when I saw that training camp will start on July 24th. 

We'll probably know the list when Jokić stops drinking and decides. We already know there won't be Kalinić and Lučić. Only question mark really is Jokić. Bogdanović will play for sure, Micić, Marinković, Gudurić, Milutinov should be there also. Jović will probably play from the NBA and Pokuševski was supposed to play but now he's injured, so not sure about him. 

The full 12-man squad is as follows: Evan Fournier, Rudy Gobert, Nicolas Batum, Nando De Colo, Guerschon Yabusele, Elie Okobo, Frank Ntilikina, Yakuba Ouattara, Mathias Lessort, Terry Tarpey, Moustapha Fall, Sylvain Francisco.