website statistics

Wrestling Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

Just now, heywoodu said:

I just think of it now, but who has the final authority to accept the quota? The NZL wrestling federation or their NOC? 

I checked the Facebook page of NZ wrestling and there are no updates. You'd think they would go crazy if Miller was in. :p

#banbestmen

35 minutes ago, dcro said:

Lol. Well, some people already said that NZ standards are hypocritical. This confirms that.

Well New Zealand's standard, in general is that the athlete needs to show that they are capable of finishing in the top 16. For wrestling it's easy enough, just like how he qualified he can literally do nothing and reach the round of 16, should he get lucky enough with the draw.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/wrestling-awards-final-allocations-for-2016-olympic-games  

United World Wrestling, working with Tripartite Commission of the International Olympic Committee, has released the final four Olympic allocations for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Well New Zealand's standard, in general is that the athlete needs to show that they are capable of finishing in the top 16. For wrestling it's easy enough, just like how he qualified he can literally do nothing and reach the round of 16, should he get lucky enough with the draw.

wrestling ranking system is a bit different, you can lose in 2nd round but stll finish lower than someone who lost in 1st round. this guy will not finish in top 16 for sure. he is the weakest wrestler in this weight by a big margin.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

wrestling ranking system is a bit different, you can lose in 2nd round but stll finish lower than someone who lost in 1st round. this guy will not finish in top 16 for sure. he is the weakest wrestler in this weight by a big margin.

True, but I wouldn't be surprised if New Zealand's Olympic Committee doesn't know that. Wrestling is almost non-existent in that country so I doubt there are many experts outside of the wrestling federation, which would prefer to have him compete in order to increase exposure for the country.

Apparently they've accepted the quota. I can't believe why the NZOC accepted it, very hypocritical. Yet they've declined two sailors, a swimmer and a fencer. Epic fail, and he won't last long. In saying that, pretty disappointed in the Australian wrestler for failing a drugs test. Just shows that cheats don't prosper. 

9 hours ago, Joshi said:

Apparently they've accepted the quota. I can't believe why the NZOC accepted it, very hypocritical. Yet they've declined two sailors, a swimmer and a fencer. Epic fail, and he won't last long. In saying that, pretty disappointed in the Australian wrestler for failing a drugs test. Just shows that cheats don't prosper. 

Seems hypocritical indeed. Why even have qualification criterias if yuo are going to accept a wrestler who didn't score a single win in QT...

But when I think about it, I think they accepted him because he lost to doped athlete.

#banbestmen