website statistics

Basketball 2016 Discussion Thread

hukbrazil

Just now, dareza said:

Euroleague is not the problem,problem is Eurocup.

How come? 

I thought that was organized by the same federation/company as the Euroleague.

Still, after some reading about it, I still hope Champions League-system like in football will replace Euroleague :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

How come? 

I thought that was organized by the same federation/company as the Euroleague.

Still, after some reading about it, I still hope Champions League-system like in football will replace Euroleague :p 

As I know FIBA have problem with competiton with name Eurocup.  Euroleague will be for sure next year without any dobut with all the best European clubs and they agree,but every federation must suspend clubs who want to play Eurocup. If they refuse that NOC will be suspended.

http://www.eurohoops.net/national-teams/226011/fiba-bans-slovenia-and-spain-from-eurobasket-2017

In this "battle" :wall: the problem for :ITA  are the 3 clubs that have or want subscribe (isn't clear if they already signed or have only an agreement) with ULEB for next Eurocup they are: Dinamo Banco di Sardegna Sassari, Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia and Dolomiti Energia Trento.

The Italian Basket Federation and 7 clubs ( Avellino, Virtus Bologna, Cremona, Pesaro, Pistoia, Varese e Venezia) have an agreement with FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann after a meeting at bureau of CONI (Olympic Italian Co.) on April 4th.

In this "chaos" is necessary remember that Italian Championship of basket is managed by LegaBaket (not by Federation) :p

What will do now Federation? Will put pressure on LegaBasket for exclude the 3 clubs from next year Italian championship? or will force 3 clubs to renounce 3 at Eurocup? :mumble::mumble:

FIBA created a useless and damaging chaos :wacko:

15 hours ago, crovitlaci said:

I can't decide on which side to support, I always hated FIBA, but on the other way this model of ULEB Euroleague is really awful.

But they don't have a problem with Eurloeague they have problem with Eurcocup. This is what makes it funny, if FIBA's principle is to make competition fair and the smaller countries and clubs to have a chance to qualify for Euroleague, then it doesn't make any sense to allow Euroleague which is essentialy a closed competition. And one more thing, it's not Uleb vs FIBA, it's ECA vs FIBA, ECA is separated from ULEB like ULEB somedays separated from FIBA. ECA is basicaly a club association of the richest clubs, not some sort of organisation of leagues like ULEB was.

I think FIBAs initial idea was to weaken ECA with the loss of the Eurocup and strengthen the Champions league with the teams that came from the Eurocup. And then when the Champions league became much stronger and the conditions better they would take a swing against the Euroleague with much better offering than it is now. But many of those second tier teams from the Eurocup didn't want to switch for some reason and FIBA has to make another attack to split things up. 

I'm all for FIBA controling basketball and don't have this private corporation catering only for itself, but they are swinging a bit chaotic. Instead of banning the national teams, they should have banned the players from the teams that stay with ECA from national teams. That way those players lose their chance of competing in Olympics and Worlds. Plus bann those players from transfering to clubs associated with FIBA. And finally and most important FIBA should give all they have to their relationship with the NBA, because if they reach an agreement that the NBA teams don't transfer players from the ECA teams, now that is a real gamechanger. Let's see with those factors if the rich european clubs can take FIBA so lightly.

By the way those countries aren't banned as of now, but could be in the future. April 20 is the date when things could be more clear, because that is the date FIBA has given all federations to state their position, based on this letter that i passed by. It is to Turkey and i'm sure the other countries received more or less the same letter.

Untitled+1.jpg

Untitled+3.jpg

There was a meeting today in our federation and decision is that they will suspend any clubs participating in Eurocup next season. Only club is going to be Partizan. Partizan stayed at it's decision as well, so if FIBA goes through we will not play Serbian league next year.

4 minutes ago, nenad said:

There was a meeting today in our federation and decision is that they will suspend any clubs participating in Eurocup next season. Only club is going to be Partizan. Partizan stayed at it's decision as well, so if FIBA goes through we will not play Serbian league next year.

why Partizan simply doesn't play FIBA Euroleague?

3 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

why Partizan simply doesn't play FIBA Euroleague?

Because Eurocup is better and more attractive competition and ABA league gives you a chance to compete in Euroleague. So you can't play Euroleague if you know decide you are going to play FIBA competition and Euroleague is a main goal.