website statistics

Swimming Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

British Olympic Trials start tomorrow, live on YouTube i believe. 

Qualification is as follows:

• Only 30 athletes are allowed to compete for GB In Rio  
  • The winner of each event, who swam the FINA Olympic Qualification Time in the final, will qualify for Rio
  • If the second place finisher meets the olympic consideration time then they can be added to the squad, the Head Coach can also select an athlete if they are 'very close, to the consideration time. But this is up to the selectors to decide
  • https://www.britishswimming.org/documents/34/2016_Olympic_Games_Selection_Policy_FINAL_8-10-15.pdf
  •    
Edited by uk12points

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

And thats CLEARLY only your opinion and not a fact. Cochrane wont win a medal unless the following happens:

400 free: Yang, Guy or Horton drown/get caught before Rio

1500 free: Yang, Horton, Paltrinieri, Detti, Jaeger drown/get caught before Rio

It would be an amazing result for Cochrane to reach the final in both events. I believe in the old man, he can do it!

You're being a bit harsh on him, he should easily reach the final in the 1500m and is currently the favourite to make the final in the 400m. Winning a medal on the other hand is unlikely, he'll probably get at least 1 top 5 result (ignoring any possible doping/drowning).

1 hour ago, uk12points said:

British Olympic Trials start tomorrow, live on YouTube i believe. 

Qualification is as follows:

• Only 30 athletes are allowed to compete for GB In Rio  
  • The winner of each event, who swam the FINA Olympic Qualification Time in the final, will qualify for Rio
  • If the second place finisher meets the olympic consideration time then they can be added to the squad, the Head Coach can also select an athlete if they are 'very close, to the consideration time. But this is up to the selectors to decide
  • https://www.britishswimming.org/documents/34/2016_Olympic_Games_Selection_Policy_FINAL_8-10-15.pdf
  •    

I think it's a bit ridiculous to have an athlete cap. If there's 31 athletes that reach the British standard (which is higher than the FINA A standard) then all of them should go to the Olympics.

9 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

You're being a bit harsh on him, he should easily reach the final in the 1500m and is currently the favourite to make the final in the 400m. Winning a medal on the other hand is unlikely, he'll probably get at least 1 top 5 result (ignoring any possible doping/drowning).

In his usual major meet shape of the past 8-9 years or so he should indeed definitely reach at least one, but probably two finals. I think the chance of him winning no medal is bigger than the chance of him winning a medal (mostly since the events have 2 and 3 clear favorites and he isn't among them), but it's really not like it would be a major surprise if he does medal :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:RSA South Africa Swimming Trials - Day 2

Men's 200m Freestyle - Chad le Clos

Men's 100m Backstroke - Christopher Reid

Both times were reached during the semi-finals with the finals expected to race tomorrow. Van der Burgh broke the standard again in the 100m breaststroke finals.

Does someone know where I can find full results of the different trials around the world?

I mean, the Australians aren't hard to find, but I'm especially interested in the Chinese trials. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Does someone know where I can find full results of the different trials around the world?

I mean, the Australians aren't hard to find, but I'm especially interested in the Chinese trials.

yes here

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/international-elite

Japan has officially announced its team of 34 athletes. (In Japanese, An English Version). They still have too many relay-only swimmers (15 when they can only have 12). Assuming FINA says something that would likely mean at least three athletes will compete in the individual events.

41 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

:AUS Australian Swimming Trials - Day 6

Men's 200m Backstroke - Mitch Larkin, Joshua Beaver

Women's 100m Freestyle - Cate Campbell, Bronte Campbell

Women's 200m Breaststroke - Taylor McKeown

Nobody qualified in the men's 200m IM

52.80 in the 100 free final was not even enough to make the team :lol: