website statistics

[POLL] Do you think the AIN status for Russia and Belarus at Paris Olympics is justified? Road to Paris 2024

[POLL] Do you think the AIN status for Russia and Belarus at Paris Olympics is justified?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the AIN status for Russia and Belarus at Paris Olympics is Justified?

2. 2. Should there have been similar sanctions on Israel?

3. 3. Does the restriction of Russia and Belarus feel unfair ?

• Yes, I feel for the athletes who have been denied a fair opportunity to qualify
    • No
    • I don't care

8 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

For repeat offences, the bans can go up to 8 years andeven  life, and bans can be extended for egregious and deliberate wrongdoing.

So I admire your calculation, it's very fair, but it may imho be even a little bit too leniant.

But I'll take it for starters.

And for the record, I absiolutely would have wanted this done to the soviet Union and especially GDR back in the day, and quite possibly USA too. Even with all the crap we;ve seen from other countries over the years - and we've all been badly behaved whether its BALCO in the US, British Cycling, Italian EPO, Dutch cyclists going EPO hardcore,  or Irish swimmers growing chemically induced fins, what Russia has done is one step beyond - indeed, rather a lot of steps beyond - even Kenya today, which is obviously an utter disaster, is not in that league yet.

of course we could find skeletons in every Nation's wardrobe

and obviously I know the rules for repeated doping offences

but since we can't rewrite history going back in time for all those faults (but I think a reset of all world records in the sports where some of the old USSR and GDR and Balco/NOP's are still there should be done), I'd like to see at least the most recent and biggest scandal officially discovered to be punished with some exemplary ban

I believe Russia should have been banned for its doping program. Particulary after Sochi. Because it's a sporting matter.

I don't believe Russia should have been banned after the invasion of Ukraine, because it's a non-sporting matter and it opens a pandora box that no one can close (see the question about Israel)

AIN status is unfair because, for me, it's gotta be either complete ban or full participation.

No ridiculous "neutrality", no social media police, IOC either goes fully political or ignores everything keeping politics out of sport. 

They're currently trying to please both sides but end up displeasing everyone.

Same applies to Israel case.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'd commend if I believed it would be possible to have a calm discussion on this on Totallympics, but...yeah :lol:

I'll just go for a Yes, Yes and Yes on the three questions (with the small caveat that on question 3 I feel for some athletes, while for others I certainly don't).

Well yes it's a very controversial topic. I thought all polls look very similar so thought for a change. 

I personally felt Israel went a tad too far against Gaza which was more than just a retaliation. Russia obviously had no right of it's own. But there would be athletes who might not be in favour of this, far away from the hustle wanting to compete, not sure if they are getting opportunities.

Not to forget individuals in team sport they are also humans but can't get an opportunity to participate. For those DSQ due to social media post no one knows if it was willingly put or forced to put, who's gonna check.

Posted (edited)

The question is should a country banned for the invasion of another country ....if the answer is yes 

Then yes israel should be banned , not just for 2023 but for 2014 , 2004 etc invasions of gaza  

Usa should have been banned for 1989 invasion of panama 

The 2001 invasion of Afghanistan ( for not giving up Osama bin laden ) 

The 2003 invasion of Iraq ( for hypothetical weapons of mass destruction ) also great britain , Australia and Poland 

Saudi arabia for the invasion of yemen 

Etc etc ....

My answer is no do not ban any country ... Keep sport away from the wars .... This is unjustified to ban any country ..... 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes and No

Not gonna elaborate too much, because I know this is a topic where there’s lots of varying opinions, but here’s my thought process. Even with everything that’s going on in Russia, I think that banning athletes just because of where they’re from is unfair (you’re from where you’re from, you can’t control it). Athletes compete for themselves first. On the other hand, if you’re an athlete who supports the war, then yeah nope…

27 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

The question is should a country banned for the invasion of another country ....if the answer is yes 

Then yes israel should be banned , not just for 2023 but for 2014 , 2004 etc invasions of gaza  

Usa should have been banned for 1989 invasion of panama 

The 2001 invasion of Afghanistan ( for not giving up Osama bin laden ) 

The 2003 invasion of Iraq ( for hypothetical weapons of mass destruction ) also great britain , Australia and Poland 

Saudi arabia for the invasion of yemen 

Etc etc ....

My answer is no do not ban any country ... Keep sport away from the wars .... This is unjustified to ban any country ..... 

I agree...

just ban Russia for all the State doping issues and stop

I feel very comfortable with Russia being banned because to me they were already “on probation” as far as sporting participation was concerned.

I also think that a war of conquest is fundamentally different from, say, any recent American invasion.

I don’t have a strong opinion on banning or not banning Israel, though if the UN determines Israel is committing a genocide then I don’t think there will he a choice but to ban them from International sports.

I feel bad for certain Russian / Belorussian athletes for missing out but not others.

To be honest I don't care that much. When I see a :RUS, :BLR, or :ISR athlete competing, I might frown for a few seconds and then get over it.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold