website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Ceremonies Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think Rio 2016 did that the best, while capturing contemporary social/poltical divides very well too.

It's a ceremony often overlooked, but it remains my other favorite with Athens 2004. I do think London 2012 and Paris 2024 did a fantastic job of producing uniquely English/French ceremonies though, even if they took different angles. 

Athens and Rio are also my favourite. Athens was the first one I watched live and I was mesmerized by the artistry (+ Björk performing "Oceania" still gives me chills). Rio, for obvious reasons, holds a special place in my heart. I arrived in Rio only in the next day and those two weeks are probably the most unforgettable of my life.

So… I haven't read any of your comments guys. This is the recap of a non lefty french personn who had a short and very agitated night. Like the ceremony, it will be a chaotic mess of confusing feelings

* I don't enjoy opening cermony. I usually got bored very soon and wish the thing to end up as quickly as possible. Yesterday, I may have wished for the ceremony to end quicky but not because I got bored !

* I - really - load the organisation to have tried something unique and new. But, it was a mess. The filming was bad and the realisation was so many time completly lost. Probably, because they couldn't have full routines previewed in a closed environment like a stadium, they had to improvise along the way.

* We have missed so many things on television ! Like the guys during their sport trick on the platforms. In a stadium, the spectacle spectators and telespectators get is roughly the same, here it was not. Unfortunately, I Don't think it was a success for neither.

* The Energy in display was fantastic

* Gojira !

* People who have done it have zero sense of historicity, history for them is simply a serie of historical anecdotes with no real value.

* The quasi absence of Coubertin was expected, but still unforgivable. That's my biggest Fuck Them take

* I thought I would felt a bit ashamed by the presence of local artist whose artistic quality seem to me less than obvious. Thanks to the crazy high energy of the show I wasn't

* The « Europe » segment was about 20 secondes too long (and yes it was 20 seconds)

* The woke stuff was so much in your face and with zero suitability that it was almost comical.

* These people don't know how enraged some people will be after seeing their show. Maybe, they know, but they don't care or even they wish to harm them. But I think they don't know, their ideology bubble is so strong.

* The Marseillaise singing setup was fantastic but as so many other things it was ruined by a god awful filming)

* Love the horse thing and the build up of olympic history

* It was all better when the ceremony reached the Trocadéro. I hope other will try their luck with an in the city ceremony, but I think you need some anchor place (a stadium or otherwise)

*No one knew the Eiffel Tower could lighten up like that !

*The last segment that lead to the mongolfiere was great. I didn't spoil myself, so as far as I was concerned it was a big surprise and I really enjoyed the scenery of the various athletes carying the torch.

I think that's it, sport can't start soon enough.

5 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Athens and Rio are also my favourite. Athens was the first one I watched live and I was mesmerized by the artistry (+ Björk performing "Oceania" still gives me chills). Rio, for obvious reasons, holds a special place in my heart. I arrived in Rio only in the next day and those two weeks are probably the most unforgettable of my life.

Still gets near daily plays during the summer months from me.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

58 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

The Drag queen's artistic representation of the 'Last Supper' at the Opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics 2024 hurt many religious sentiments 

We're lucky they only decided to mock christianism and not any other major religion because oh boy. :lol:

I don't have time to read everyone's comments here but one day (obviously after the Games because I won't have much time the next two weeks :p) I will come back and look at them because I'm very interested in them.

I have mixed feelings about the ceremony. I liked some segments but some dragged too long. The boat parade sounded like a cool idea (and at first I was thinking how did Greece not think to do that in 2004 :lol:), but in the end I didn't like it. It was kind of all over the place and I prefer the old format.

The cameras also barely showed the flag bearers and it seemed very rushed, the angles were too far away too. I always love watching the parade of athletes so I can see all the athletes I know from different countries and this year it was very hard to do :cry:

Alright everyone, for those wondering, I was the masked individual in the Ceremony. :d

Jokes aside, I don’t know how much I will get to interact with you all (or how much of the Games I will get to see for that matter) as I have been on the baseball commentator grind for the last couple of months.

My thoughts on the Ceremony:

Brave and unique, but nothing that should be replicated. It was sure special and breathtaking at times, but not something I want to see in an Opening Ceremony again

Parade of Athletes: NBC’s coverage was going to let me down from the start. Agree with many that the flag bearers seemed not important

Show: Quite French I guess?? A lot of culture to take in. The inter-twining of the parade and show was a little crazy and hard to keep track of.

Cauldron: A balloon?? But Celine Dion did save it in the end.

Overall: Satisfied but not thrilled. But that’s alright, the sports will do that.

THE GAMES ARE OPEN!!