website statistics

Rowing WR Final World Olympic Qualification Regatta 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I guess we need a topic for :ITA:CAN:POL rowing fans to argue about who is in deeper crisis :cry:

Not that we are better off, but at least the two quotas for us at this regatta kind of saved us from having an embarrassingly tiny team like we did in Tokyo.

You can only be in crisis if you have red and white on your flag. Since you have only white, almost there!

Edited by intoronto

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, intoronto said:

You can only be in crisis if you have red and white on your flag. Since you have only white, almost there!

:DEN:USA:SUI didn't get that memo apparently :p

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I guess we need a topic for :ITA:CAN:POL rowing fans to argue about who is in deeper crisis :cry:

Looking at sports as a whole (not just rowing in this case): isn't it basically the default for people from every country to think their country is being bad and will be disappointing? :lol: 

If all the negative comments I've seen people write about their own country came true, half of the Olympic medals wouldn't go to any country at all :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Looking at sports as a whole (not just rowing in this case): isn't it basically the default for people from every country to think their country is being bad and will be disappointing? :lol: 

If all the negative comments I've seen people write about their own country came true, half of the Olympic medals wouldn't go to any country at all :p 

What's funny is :CAN is legitimately on track for it's best summer Olympics since 1984, and it's best non-boycotted summer Olympics ever.

But this is also the worst the rowing team has ever been. This is the first time Canada has failed to qualify a male rower since 1900(!), when we simply didn't enter.

Posted (edited)

Well, I do not know about the others, but in Poland :POL it is the matter of the ROI in rowing, which is a fairly measurable and comparable quote.

So if you compare the cost of quotas for Poland: (only 2024, there are statistics for other years, but I do not have time now to dig deeper)

2,45M PLN for a quota in rowing

0,68M PLN for a quota in fencing (which was not a focus in Poland in the past years)

1,2M in sailing (which is MUCH more expensive when it comes to the equipment, training areas and so on)

0,95M kayak sports (both sprint and slalom - and we skip the fact that you could use the same athletes in multiple events) 

one sees it has become much more expensive to send a rowing athlete to the Olympics. I cannot find the respective data for i.e. 2019, but it was around 12-13M PLN for 20 athletes in Tokyo, which is around 0,6-0,7M PLN for a quota. The cost has then roughly quadrupled between Tokyo olympics and Paris.

This is also a POV on a "disastrous" results - surely not the only angle, but one that widens tne perspective.

Edited by stratocumulus

5 hours ago, NearPup said:

What's funny is :CAN is legitimately on track for it's best summer Olympics since 1984, and it's best non-boycotted summer Olympics ever.

But this is also the worst the rowing team has ever been. This is the first time Canada has failed to qualify a male rower since 1900(!), when we simply didn't enter.

Best in terms of medals, not so much in terms of the number of athletes…

I'm seeing the comments from fans :CAN:ITA:POL  complaining sad about their rowing delegations!

Since I'm Brazilian and I need to settle for one or at most two boats per Olympic Games! Could you think of a sport that is not developing at all here?  

13 minutes ago, gucardn said:

I'm seeing the comments from fans :CAN:ITA:POL  complaining sad about their rowing delegations!

Since I'm Brazilian and I need to settle for one or at most two boats per Olympic Games! Could you think of a sport that is not developing at all here?  

Speedskating?

15 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Not that we are better off, but at least the two quotas for us at this regatta kind of saved us from having an embarrassingly tiny team like we did in Tokyo.

I’d have traded you our team size for your medal total.