website statistics

Sailing WS Semaine Olympique Française 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

How does the "emerging nations program" work? It seems weird :CYP would be eligible given their depth/history in the sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

How does the "emerging nations program" work? It seems weird :CYP would be eligible given their depth/history in the sport.

https://d7qh6ksdplczd.cloudfront.net/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/11183135/Emerging-Nations-Defintion-September-2023.pdf

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

according to that list, :CYP is in the top class (Resourced and Developed Nations) :mumble:

I'm really surprised someone put them in the Emerging Nations Program

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Men’s Formula Kite Olympic Quota Standings After 8/10 Races

:GBR 13 pts

:POL 19 pts

:GRE 20 pts

:MON 33 pts

:USA 35 pts

———————

:ISR 38 pts

:SUI 51 pts

Women’s Kite Olympic Quota Standings After 8/10 Races

:SUI 6 pts

:POL 12 pts

:AUT 22 pts

:TUR 31 pts

:FIN 39 pts

———————

:POR 40 pts

:SLO 41 pts

Worth noting that the set up of the Kite is different from some of the other races. There's 20 preliminary races I think, then an 8 series for the SF and a final 6 race series for the final, I think. Not exactly sure of the numbers, but it is more than in the other events I know that.

33 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Worth noting that the set up of the Kite is different from some of the other races. There's 20 preliminary races I think, then an 8 series for the SF and a final 6 race series for the final, I think. Not exactly sure of the numbers, but it is more than in the other events I know that.

Assuming it's the same structure as last year's worlds, then the top 2 sailors at the end of the opening series of 20 races will go directly through to the final.

Sailors ranked 3-10 progress to the semi-finals with the top ranked sailor in each semi-final starting with 2 wins, the 2nd ranked sailor starting with 1 win. The other 2 sailors start from 0. The first sailor to get to 3 wins advances to the final so it is unlikely that they would need all 8 races. 

In the final, the same structure applies - the sailor who topped the opening series starts the final with 2 wins, the sailor who finished 2nd has 1 win and the qualifiers from the semi-final start with 0. The first to 3 takes gold.  

12 hours ago, Jur said:

There's no Emerging Nations Programe outside of IQFoil and ILCA, so I asume it's 5 up for grabs.

I do found it, from World Sailing website

Competition for those final spots across the 10 Olympic disciplines is bound to be fierce at the Semaine Olympique Française where there will be – in effect – two separate regattas across the same week, with the Qualified Nations sailing out of Hyères harbour, with two participants for each nation and class.  

However, for once it’s not the front of the world fleet who are the focus of attention, as the biggest drama will be taking place in the battle for those final spots in the Last Chance Regatta. 

Seven in the Men’s and eight in the Women’s Windsurfing are available in the iQFOiL, and five for Men’s and Women’s Kite, with four in the 470 for the Mixed Dinghy, and four in each of the Men’s Dinghy in the ILCA 7 and Women’s Dinghy in the ILCA 6, four 49ers in the Men’s Skiff and five 49erFXs in the Women’s Skiff and the four Nacra 17 Mixed Multihull.