website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Cup 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

so, this result leaves the door open for the :CHN girls @ 59kg and @ 71kg, should they win gold here in :THA 

however, I don't understand why they take :PRK as a comparison, when they already know the Koreans won't be in Paris...I mean, without :PRK, the Gold medal is pretty safe in this class, more than in the -59kg and the -71kg, it doesn't matter if they win or not Gold here @Vic Liu

For two reasons: 1, For internal fairness. Imagine you are the champion of 59kg left unselected, but your teammate 49kg is merely a silver medalist but selected. You will definitely feel unfair and it’s not good for the team atmosphere. Real champions should always prioritize the selection regardless of rivals’ attendance.

2, You just never know if North Korea will successfully lobby IOC or IWF for a wild card, maybe only one category per gender. I personally think it possible. No one can guarantee anything until the OG begins.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

:CHN:THA:IND:USA:ROU:JPN:BEL:VEN:TPE:DOM

First two weightlifters outside of Olympic quota spots are from :PHI:MEX (mentioned in case of reallocation)

and the continental quota goes to :MAD Randafiarison , she beat the girl from PNG by just 1 kilo. 

Toua (PNG) lifted 171 yesterday in Group C (which was 1kg better than Randafiarison's previous record) but Randafiarison beat her once again by 172kg today in Group B

:PNG Morea Baru lifted 281kg today in Group C of men's 61kg. there is nobody from Oceania or Africa competing in Group B or A tomorrow. which means he will 100% finish as the best athlete from these 2 continents.

Asia and Europe have multiple athletes in top 10, America has just one, Morris from USA is currently #7  and I'm sure he will stay in top 10. 

so PNG lost a quota today by 1kg but they will qualify their first athlete for Paris tomorrow

6 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

This compulsory world cup will be served as Chinese internal trials. There is no clear quantitive method for trials but I personally sum up as follows. For men's side, whichever 3 categories winning the golds will go to OG, if winning 4 golds or less than 3 golds then comparing the winning/losing margin. For women's side, 81kg and 81kg+ will be (most probably) selected if winning the golds. For 49kg, 59kg and 71kg whichever winning over North Korea will be selected. If no categories or more than 2 categories winning over North Korea, then comparing the winning/losing margin.

Is this the documented policy of chinese weightlifting federation? Or just your personal view? 

8 minutes ago, silentAssassin said:

Is this the documented policy of chinese weightlifting federation? Or just your personal view? 

My personal view. Document just said it's the most important trials for OG without mentioning any quantitive criteria.

2 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

My personal view. Document just said it's the most important trials for OG without mentioning any quantitive criteria.

Any idea when the final selection will be done? Any date?

6 minutes ago, silentAssassin said:

Any idea when the final selection will be done? Any date?

China likes announcing at the last moment in order to allow for unforeseen circumstances like sudden injury.