website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

:SVK

Today only Nicole Ďuríková lost to :JPN Rinka Kinoshita in W -50kg

Tomorrow Bibiana Lovášová will face Gomaez Landaeta of :VEN in W -54kg and "Bandi" Csemez will enter the ring against Andrei Chiriacov from :MDA in the M -80kg

Edited by hckošice

Predictions part 3

W50,W57,M51,M71,M92+ on page 5

W54,W60 on page 9

Top 30 rankings per weightclass on the boxing Olympic rankings thread.

M57kg

Bracket 1

My pick- Makhmud Sabyrkhan (1) :KAZ, Other contenders- Artur Bazeyan (5) :ARM, Umid Rustamov (9) :AZE, Asror Vokhidov (16) :TJK.

Really tough bracket to call. At the top Makhmud Sabyrkhan has a deceptively tough opening fight against African finalist Fikremariyam Leta (25) :ETH before meeting Sarawet Sukthet (17) :THA who he beat in the 2023 Asian under 22 championship final. I don't understand why Sukthet got picked here ahead of Rujakron Juntrong :THA. Artur Bazeyan should navigate his first couple of fights to set up a blockbuster of a "semi final" with Sabyrkhan. Umid Rustamov has struggled of late and will be sternly tested against Asror Vokhidov. I think Vokhidov might win that one. Either should pose a significant threat to the somewhat undersized Sabyrkhan but talent wise their should only be one winner. 

Bracket 2

My pick- Yilmar Gonzalez (4) :COL , Other contenders- Mohamed Abu Jajeh (8) :JOR, Jaroslaw Iwanow (13) :POL, Batuhan Ciftci (20) :TUR, Jean Caicedo (21) :ECU.

The bottom half of this draw is where the action all is with a standout opening fight between Yilmar Gonzalez and Mohamed Abu Jajeh which could decide the quota. Jaroslaw Iwanow and the winner of the very evenly matched Batuhan Ciftci and Jean Caicedo would still stand between Gonzalez or Abu Jajeh and a qualifying fight. That fight though would be very easy though with Ping Lyu (23) :CHN inexplicably on his way to another qualifying fight after he lucked his way into a semi final at Asian games.

Bracket 3

My pick- Carlo Paalam (3) :PHI, Other contenders- Jude Gallagher (6) :IRL, Mohamed Hussamuddin (7) :IND.

This bracket is fascinatingly poised with Carlo Paalam starting as the slight favourite. His path to a qualifying fight sees him needing to beat the winner of Andrey Bonilla (22) :MEX vs Murat Yildirim (19) :GER followed by probably Daniyal Shabaksh (10):IRI or Yoel Finol (18) :VEN although both are well capable of a surprise loss. Jude Gallagher has an annoying habbit of losing very tough opening round fights. He avoids that here by drawing Hichem Maouche (NR) :ALG only to run into Mohamed Hussamuddin in the second round. I had a very tough time ranking Gallagher and Hussamuddin relative to eachother. They should have met at the commonwealth games but Hussamuddin suffered a shock semi final loss to Joseph Commey :GHA who then withdrew to hand Gallagher the gold. Maybe I am biased but I think Gallagher wins this one. The winner will very likely go on to face Carlo Paalam and I'd be surprised if that fight had a unaminous winner.

Bracket 4

My pick- Luiz Oliveira (2) :BRA, Other contenders- Owain Harris-Allan (11) :GBR, Artyush Gomstyan (12) :GEO, Munarbek Seitbek Uulu (14) :KGZ, Jose Luis de los Santos (15) :DOM.

Luiz Oliveira is the standout boxer here and should get Brazil's 10th quota for Paris. He does have an awkward first fight against Munarbek Seitbek Uulu. A second potential banana skin comes in his "semi final" against Artyush Gomstyan. The other half of the draw sees Owain Harris-Allan face Jose de los Santos. The Brits lucked into selecting their best boxer with Jack Dryden getting injured but the tenacious de los Santos who impressed at Panam games is a tricky opening fight. The winner should face Lucas Verthein Ferreira (24) :URU for a shot at beating Oliveira. Ferreira does have to be Oleh Chuliacheiev (30) :UKR first and notably has beaten de los Santos before. Regardless I would expect Luiz Oliveira to qualify here without too much difficulty.

M80kg

Bracket 1

My pick- Aleksei Alfiorau (2) :AIN, Other contenders- Nurbek Oralbay (3) :KAZ, Kelyn Cassidy (4) :IRL.

This bracket is absolutely stacked. 2021 world silver (Deserved to win gold) medallist Aleksei Alfiorau returns to the fray and will surely be one of the authorized neutral athletes from Belarus best shots at a medal at the Olympics. He has got a very tricky draw though meeting Shabbos Negmatulloev (31) :TJK and Kevin Schumann (16) :GER before one of the fights of the tournament 2023 world champion Nurbek Oralbay who himself has to beat experienced pro Carlos Gongora (28) :ECU. My money is very tentatively on Alfiorau. Kelyn Cassidy does have to probably beat Rafayel Hovhannisyan (12) :ARM or Keven Bausejour (20) :CANand despite being the best boxer on his side of the draw I have concerns about his ability to put performances on top of eachother. Alfiorau and Cassidy met in the quarter final of the aforementioned 2021 worlds and I kind of hope Oralbay comes through as I think he may prove more vulnerable to Cassidy's counterpunching style. Whatever happens we should get 2 tremendous high quality fights here.

Bracket 2

My pick- Robby Gonzalez (6) :USA, Other contenders- Weerapon Jongjoho (8) :THA, Andrei Arodoaie (15) :ROU, Omurbek Bekzhigit Uulu (17) :KGZ.

Robby Gonzalez has largely struggled since winning the world championships in 2021 but the draw has broken in his favour here. He is unlikely to be troubled at all until his qualification fight. On the other side of the bracket Weerapon Jongjoho has a tricky enough path facing either Omurbek Bekzhigit Uulu or Georgi Gutsaev (20) :GEO (who comes in for Georgi Kushitashvili who has moved up to 92kg) and likely Andrei Arodoaie. All three could beat Jongjoho. Regardless Gonzalez will be the favourite for the quota especially given his easy path up to that point.

Bracket 3

My pick- Turabek Khabibullaev (1) :UZB, Other contenders- Hussein Iashaish (7) :JOR, Yojerlin Cesar (9) :FRA.

Turabek Khabibullaev has avoided any of the major potential challengers and should book his spot at the games here. He does have a difficult opener against the experienced Hussein Iashash although he did beat him at Asian games. Yojerlin Cesar is the other major hurdle on the path to a quota although he himself has a tricky opener against Gebhard Ipinge (24) :NAM. Gazi Jalidov (13) :ESP meets Juan Ortiz (18) :COL in the opening round on the other side of the bracket which may decide who faces Khabibullaev for the quota although Nikita Nystedt (26) :FIN may cause a surprise assuming he beats Nuryagdy Nuryagdyev (NR) :TKM. Nuryagdyev isn't a threat or anything I just wanted to mention him because I think he has a cool name.

Bracket 4

My pick- Taylor Bevan (5) :GBR, Other contenders- Mindaugas Gediminas (10) :NOR, Pylyp Akilov (11) :HUN, Hector Aguirre (14) :MEX.

The draw has been kind to Taylor Bevan after he got the nod in a tough domestic selection battle ahead of Ramtin Musah :GBR and George Crotty :GBR. He does have a tough opening fight against Pylyp Akilov before meeting likely either Mindaugas Gediminas or Abraham Buonnarigo (19) :ARG. Hector Aguirre has limited international experience but may well prove capable of beating either Meysam Gheshlaghi (30) :IRI or Chahar Lakshya (25) :IND and either Gradus Kraus (22) :NED (Don't be fooled by his IBA champions night results.) or Kristyan Nikolov (27) :BUL. Bevan is the standout boxer here though and should win the quota.