website statistics

GB Rowing

21 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

I was impressed with the GB showing at the europeans, and yes we did it before tokyo as well, but this performance just felt stronger. I'd hang my hat on at least 2 golds in Paris, and hopefully with a strong camp that results in the development of above mentioned sprint finishes maybe get a couple more. It's certainly a good spot to be under rating everyone. 

Just very hard to tell at the moment with nations peaking for the final chance qualifier, and majority of GB boats (hopefully) not at thier peak yet

Main concern of a boat i guess would be the women's 8, unsure if they can move people out of this to make the other boats stronger because i dont follow the rowers that well, but losing to a romanian team by a length who had double the amount of racers over the weekend doesn't look strong

I definitely think we are in a much better position going into Paris compared to where we were ahead of Tokyo. That's more based on the results from last season rather than what we saw this week. We always do well at the Euros and this week's racing didn't have the top Dutch crews and the conditions and lane reordering can distort the results to an extent. 

I probably won't make medal predictions until after Lucerne when we will hopefully see the rest of the global crews in action, but at the moment, I am feeling bullish on our prospects and could easily see the team taking 6 medals and possible stretch target of 8 with half of those being gold. 

On the women's eight, there is probably a limit to what they can do and personally I don't see them changing the line-up dramatically. Given the early season form of the women's four, they're unlikely to want to mess with them. That would just leave them with the pair of Edwards and Brew to potentially switch in. I think they will ultimately leave the crews as they are and will keep faith that they will be able to build their results as they go through the rest of the year. Keep saying it, but the World Cup in Lucerne is going to be key. 

:GBR are only entering two events in the final qualifying regatta:

George Bourne will go in the men's single sculls whilst Becky Wilde and Mathilda Hodgkins Byrne will be going in the women's double sculls.

Have to admit I am a bit surprised that they aren't going for the men's double sculls although that may mean that they are looking at making adjustments within the quadruple sculls crew.

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

So that means definitely no :GBR in Paris in the women's single sculls, men's double sculls or the lightweight men's double, right?

Yup - The men's lightweight double was never really on the cards. GB have basically been winding down the lightweights on the men's side as it's no longer Olympic class. 

I am surprised that we're not at least trying for the W1x and M2x - I would have thought that the M2x wouldn't have been that far off a quota at the last chance regatta but it looks like they are prioritising the M4x. 

On 5/7/2024 at 8:03 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

Yup - The men's lightweight double was never really on the cards. GB have basically been winding down the lightweights on the men's side as it's no longer Olympic class. 

I am surprised that we're not at least trying for the W1x and M2x - I would have thought that the M2x wouldn't have been that far off a quota at the last chance regatta but it looks like they are prioritising the M4x. 

Budget cuts.