website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

If this whole (yet again) circus isn't enough for Bjorkman, Osterdahl and all of the current figureheads running Eurovision being booted once and forever. Maybe 15 countries boycotting next year would be the needed catharsis.

San Marino already planning theit withdrawal, but due recent poor results.

What people don't realise is the EBU only banned Russia because multiple broadcasters threatened to pull out and not because of their war crimes. Obviously the Israel/Palestine conflict is completely different to the Ukraine/Russia one but the only way Israel gets banned in the future is if multiple broadcasters threaten to withdraw. 

5 hours ago, bestmen said:

and if you add politic , you can dream that  sweden will not vote for norway , or cyprus for greece :roflmao:

I'm going to address this because I already know people will complain tomorrow if we exchange 12 points (there are rumours that the Greek jury won't give 12 to Cyprus because the song was originally submitted to represent Greece in 2023 and there is some drama, but obviously the tele vote will be 12 points each way).

Unlike Norway-Sweden for example, Greece-Cyprus have the same ethnicity (most people who live in Cyprus are ethnic Greeks aka Greek-Cypriots), language, culture, and music industry. Also, many Greeks from Greece have represented Cyprus in Eurovision, and many Greek-Cypriots have represented Greece. Let's look at Cyprus' recent history in Eurovision:

2024-Silia Kapsis, Australian born to a Greek-Cypriot father and Greek mother from Thessaloniki

2023-Andrew Lambrou, Australian born to a Greek-Cypriot father and Greek mother from Limnos

2022-Andromache, a singer from Greece

2021-Elena Tsagrinou, a singer from Greece who is very famous in Greece (and Cyprus)

2020-Sandro Nicolas, German born to a German-American father and Greek mother from Zakynthos

2019-Tamta, originally from Georgia but lived in Greece most of her life and is a huge star in Greece (and Cyprus)

2018-Eleni Foureira, originally from Albania but lived in Greece most of her life and is a huge star in Greece (and Cyprus)

And Greece had Greek-Cypriots representing us in 2015, 2012, 2011, 2007, 2006...

So it's very different than Sweden and Norway voting for each other. Most Cypriots are Greek and will vote for "mother Greece" naturally, especially with someone like Marina Satti who is very famous in the Greek-speaking world, and most Greeks will vote for our "little sister Cyprus" especially with a singer like Silia Kapsis who maybe isn't very famous in Greece but speaks Greek fluently and her mother is from Thessaloniki.

I could be wrong but I don't think Sweden and Norway have the same music industry as they are completely separate countries with a unique language and ethnic conscience. If you go to Cyprus (not including the illegally occupied northern part) you will see more Greek flags around than Cypriot flags. There is clearly a reason for that which I won't get into here.

I'm sure if for example Belgium sent a singer with a Polish parent who spoke fluent Polish that they would get high points from Poland, and I'm sure if Kosovo had more international recognition and participated in Eurovision then them and Albania would always swap 12 points.

And many countries who normally would give a song like Greece 2024 very high points are not competing this year, like Bulgaria and Romania.

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Is Israel really gonna win with that boring ass song? :p

Objectively the funniest result is Israel winning the televote in a rout but narrowly finishing second due to the jury vote.

I really want this to happen just to I can cross reference people’s take on the jury this year and last year.