website statistics

Pan American Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

In the men's tournament the loser of :BRA vs :CHI will get :ARG in semifinals which already will be a deciding match since the bronze medalist won't even have the chance to participate in the Olympic qualification tournaments.

For me :ARG is slightly ahead for men's quota and :BRA is stronger on the women's side.

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@intoronto do you have a link to the canoe slalom quotas?

Nothing yet. I do know the quotas are finalized and 11 countries got quotas. panamsports needs to finalize before a list can be provided.

18 minutes ago, dcro said:

Equestrian quotas are available here... For some reason jumping has not been fully updated yet.

https://inside.fei.org/system/files/Equestrian- Qualification Criteria including list of qualified Nations 13 July 2023.pdf

Panamsports is to blame. They are super slow in confirming quotas. This has effected golf, canoeing among other sports

43 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Panamsports is to blame. They are super slow in confirming quotas. This has effected golf, canoeing among other sports

In fairness, the qualification process was quite chaotic with all postponements, cancellations, and events program changes. PanamSports probably has a smaller staff than the IOC for this kind of stuff. Still, you’d expect them to be a bit more on top of quota confirmations.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, intoronto said:

3,000m Steeple, 5,000m, 10,000m lost one quota each. Marathon and race walk were hit harder, losing three quotas each. The quotas seem to have gone solely to the mixed 4x400m, so I bet that will be a popular change :zip:

Honestly, we’re going a point where field sizes are comically small in some sports at the Pan American Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

All these changes to the qualification systems seem really unfair to events. Qualification events being cancelled, quota distributions being changed in the middle of the qualification process, etc. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth looking ahead the Games, especially since many events will act as Olympic qualifiers (or have a sizable impact on qualification prospects).

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

3,000m Steeple, 5,000m, 10,000m lost one quota each. Marathon and race walk were hit harder, losing three quotas each. The quotas seem to have gone solely to the mixed 4x400m, so I bet that will be a popular change :zip:

Honestly, we’re going a point where field sizes are comically small in some sports at the Pan American Games.

This will be the off season for many so I don't anticipate huge interest.