website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Well, technically they aren't "few months before the games" now, because we can probably expect the games to be postponed to September/October or to next year, depending on which is better for the organizers. 

I don’t think so. I still feel like the games will go ahead. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is why we probably should stop stacking Olympic qualifiers just a few months before the games...

No, it's not. This is like a freak accident, you can't prepare for literally everything. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, if Euro gets postponed, then all bets regarding Tokyo are off...

Not really. Euro takes place a bit before the games, and it’s happening in Europe, not Japan. Everything I’ve seen from the IOC, Tokyo2020, and the Japanese government suggests they plan to go ahead with the games. People canceling/postponing events that are more than two months away are overreacting. If we get to May, and the virus isn’t stopping, then it will be time for the cancellation/postponement of the games.

On the bright side, Sanya is officially Covid-19 free, and will probably remain so. So the 2020 Asian Beach Games should be good to go for November :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No, it's not. This is like a freak accident, you can't prepare for literally everything. 

Fair, but it wouldn’t hurt to bring some of the qualification events forward a bit. I think it’s always good to plan for cancelation too. A lot of cities aren’t going to want to host events now because of this. IFs, IOC, and other invested groups will need to work to restore confidence in hosting sporting events. 

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not really. Euro takes place a bit before the games, and it’s happening in Europe, not Japan. Everything I’ve seen from the IOC, Tokyo2020, and the Japanese government suggests they plan to go ahead with the games. People canceling/postponing events that are more than two months away are overreacting. If we get to May, and the virus isn’t stopping, then it will be time for the cancellation/postponement of the games.

On the bright side, Sanya is officially Covid-19 free, and will probably remain so. So the 2020 Asian Beach Games should be good to go for November :d

Like it was said before, even if Coronavirus is past its peak by that point (for which there are no guarantees), Tokyo Olympics would be held in immediate aftermath. That just brings a whole lot of new questions (prevailing risks, fear factor), what could eventually cause very sparse attendance, at best...

#banbestmen

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Even if the pandemic will reach its peak in the next 2 months, my guess is that it will be too dangerous to go ahead with the Olympics for the next 4-5 months. It's time for everyone to accept what's happening because based on the last few days this outbreak will only get worse in a lot of countries. 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Also, you can probably expect NBC to push hard for a 2021 Summer Olympics instead of having the Olympics during the NFL season in September/October. My money is on a 2021 games if they have to postpone it. 

Well they are only 2 weeks, it's not that long. Plus if they can have it during the regular TV season it would be great for them against the other networks. They could promote the heck out of their shows.