website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

23 minutes ago, Vektor said:

That World Championships in Doha will be a joke, no one will take it seriously when it's so close to the Olympics.

I guess this is good news for the 2022 Aquatics ECh, which will now be the main event this year. 

Commonwealth Games also.:d

• 1 year later...

For April schedulled Women´s IIHF Division I Group A World Championship tournament is postponed once again :facepalm: IIHF wants to keep the contract with China and organize the tournament in China at any cost... the replacement date is unknown...

Our Girls have to change their preparation plan once again :) nevermind...it´s fine, it´s fine... our goal will remain the same :promotion to the top division...even if the tournament will be played in 2377 anno domini

fine-this-is-fine.gif

The 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey Women's World Championship Division I Group A, due to take place in Shenzhen, China, has been postponed. The IIHF's decision to postpone this Championship was primarily based on the international travel restrictions and testing requirements the participating teams would face as a result of ongoing complications related to COVID-19.

The event was originally scheduled to take place from 11 to 17 April 2023. New dates are already being worked on and the announcement will follow at a later time. 

“The International Ice Hockey Federation firmly stands behind the contract with the Chinese Ice Hockey Association and is only postponing the tournament to make sure it starts in a positive way,” stated IIHF President Luc Tardif.

The Women's Division IA tournament in Shenzhen will feature six teams. Denmark, Norway, Slovakia, Austria, host country China, and the Netherlands will battle for promotion to the top division.

The hosts progressed to the Division I Group A last year in Katowice, Poland, after securing all five victories at the 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group B. This year's tournament will be China's first Division I Group A appearance since 2011.

The postponement of the tournament in Shenzhen will give all stakeholders more time to prepare and therefore ensure the safety and health of all participants.

Experience has shown with the postponement of both the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship and the 2021 IIHF Women's World Championship that travel organisation and playing conditions for the athletes could be optimized. In both cases, tournaments were postponed due to concerns over safety risks associated with COVID-19 and held successfully at a later date.

Initially, the 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship was moved to Calgary, Canada and played at a later date after confirmation from the provincial government of Nova Scotia that the event in Halifax and Truro will be cancelled.

Last year, the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship in Edmonton, Canada, was cancelled during the tournament due to the spread of COVID-19 and the Omicron variant, but was held at the same venue from 9 to 20 August 2022.

Travel restrictions and testing requirements, did I dream that we had New Year's Eve and entered 2022 and 2023 somewhere in the past 15 months, so secretly we're still in 2021?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!