website statistics

Boxing at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

17 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Interesting that with the exception of Ireland, all of the big winners of quotas participated in the IBA world championships earlier this year. All the training in the world is no substitute for actual competition experience and I wonder if having that extra tournament helped nations like France, Turkey and Italy get their boxers "battle ready"

Whatever the :GBR tactic was in terms of preparing for these champs, it hasn't worked out as they expected winning just 3 quotas is probably less than half of what they expected. It will be interesting to see if they make any changes in the run up to the world qualifiers next year but looking at how the national federations are trying to spin the performances across the last few days, I doubt they will. 

Ireland will be pleased, and will be confident a couple of their near misses might collar a place in the World Qualifier. Agree re GB, but I would imagine that's fixible - this cycles talent doesn't however look as strong as last cycle's.

Like much else in these games, it's been a bit of a curate's egg for GB - good in places.

Italy seem to be battle ready in every sport recently...

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Ireland will be pleased, and will be confident a couple of their near misses might collar a place in the World Qualifier. Agree re GB, but I would imagine that's fixible - this cycles talent doesn't however look as strong as last cycle's.

Like much else in these games, it's been a bit of a curate's egg for GB - good in places.

Italy seem to be battle ready in every sport recently...

most of them being non-olympic events of olympic sports or just non-olympic sports (sometimes they're olympic events, but only if we can benefit from many absent stars -see diving/shooting/fencing/gymnastics with no Russians, for instance).

next year, our Olympic total won't be as good as i Tokyo, I fear

29 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Ahhh. Thanks, it's bugged me for years - so the o is only there as a "leathen le leathen "thing.

Leathan le leathan.... that brings me back :d . I'm not sure of the linguistic side of things but that's how I make sense of it :d

Out of curiosity, is it still possible for a nation who qualified here to try to qualify another boxer at the same weight at the World qualifying tournaments and then have a choice of who to select? Or is there a hierarchy in place preventing that or how does it work?

11 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Out of curiosity, is it still possible for a nation who qualified here to try to qualify another boxer at the same weight at the World qualifying tournaments and then have a choice of who to select? Or is there a hierarchy in place preventing that or how does it work?

no, it seems to me that the quotas are nominative, we cannot change

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

No. It’s explicit that once qualified you cannot send anyone to the rest of the qualification tournaments at that weight class.

12 hours ago, phelps said:

most of them being non-olympic events of olympic sports or just non-olympic sports (sometimes they're olympic events, but only if we can benefit from many absent stars -see diving/shooting/fencing/gymnastics with no Russians, for instance).

next year, our Olympic total won't be as good as i Tokyo, I fear

Italy easely won the European Championships last year, is heavely dominating this European Games, more than doubling CONI medals target. At that point, the country is seating on an very healthy 44 medals and 17 golds on the world championships medals table 

Italian sport is on an amazing upward trajectory. Anything but an historic record of medals and golds in Paris would be a major dissapointment.

I'm sorry mate, but you won't be abble to counter-jinx your country out of it :teacher:

Kelly Harrington completes her set. She’s now won gold at Olympic Games, World Championships, European Championships and now European Games

Who knows what she might have won if she wasn’t ranked behind Katie Taylor for many years with Ireland

A great champion for :IRL