website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Dann, I really wanted Poor Things to win score. I’ve been listening to it pretty regularly for the last  two months. 

Oppenheimer did have a good score too though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Oppenheimer takes the big prize. It was expected, and a good choice in my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Oppenheimer takes the big prize. It was expected, and a good choice in my opinion.

Yeah, since they don't have the guts to award something like 'Anatomy of a Fall' or 'Past Lives', it was a good choice.

Something noticeable is that they awarded the same winners of BAFTA in ALL categories except Visual Effects ('Godzilla' wasn't nominated there). Predicted 17/23 but I wish I had paide more attention to them.

3 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Yeah, since they don't have the guts to award something like 'Anatomy of a Fall' or 'Past Lives', it was a good choice.

Oppenheimer is one of those films where I can’t really find a fault with it (at least any substantial one). It’s just a well-made film through and through, in my opinion. 

I didn’t captivate me as much or touch my soul to the same degree as Past Lives, but I can respect it‘s win.

There really aren’t any winners I totally disagree with outside of War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko in animated short.

I did complie a list of films I watched in 2023. You can find my thoughts and ratings for most of them here: https://boxd.it/ti5Xg$WfClDvILULgq0r9T

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There really aren’t any winners I totally disagree with outside of War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko in animated short.

Yeah, it was nice that except for this one they voted for watchable shorts in the other categories.

Although it was totally expected, I despise the screenplay win for 'American Fiction'. For me it was the worst of the category.

55 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Although it was totally expected, I despise the screenplay win for 'American Fiction'. For me it was the worst of the category.

It definitely wasn't my favorite, but there wasn't really a standout in the category either, in my opinion. The Zone of Interest would probably be my personal pick.

I believe the Academy has finally thrown in the towel and started handing out awards to the commerically successful films the last few years? Times do change, I still remember some of the old days when extremely random movies floated around the palmares because "critics loved them" :lol:

This of course means some of these awards are extremely predictable but we're talking about an industry where everyone has a giant ego one way or another. If Tom Cruise was born 25 years later maybe even he would have won it! :p