website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

When you have more 4ths than medals, there's a conversation to be had about finishing as a nation.  

This isn't the first time.  I think from 200-2012 Canada by far, by very far, led the way in 4ths in every Olympics (SOG + WOG).  

This is not an attack on any individual athlete.  

Also, this doesn't count non-4ths but losing bronzes in combat sports, which would put it much higher.  And we're not even done yet.  

Anyway, good job to everyone.  I'm nowhere near the Olympics so screw me.  

38 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

This stems from Canada being good, but not great in many sports so while for other countries they pick up their medals from their strength, Canada's top performance distribution more resembles a bell curve with a peak at around fourth.

This is very true, and it's the same reason why we rarely, if ever, see multiple Canadians on a podium in the SOG, and have never swept a podium in either SOG or WOG.  The closest would be freestyle skiing, with a near sweep in 2014 in mens moguls, although some might argue without the East Germans doping Canadian swimmers might have seen it in the 70s.  

Can we name an individual event at the SOG that Canadians are historically good at?  The Koreans have archery, the Chinese diving and table tennis, the Romanians gymnastics and rowing, hell even Fiji has rugby now.  I'd say the closest is trampoline, but that's coming to an end now that the Chinese will take over (and make the sport boring).  

Having said that, one of the great things about Canadian sport is that there are always a diverse field at the Olympics.  At the WOG I believe Canada holds the record for winning in the most events at a single Games.  And for the SOG we always get lots at different kinds of sports. Still, that indicates that it's more about pure talent winning through more than a comprehensive system developing talent. 

Anyway, I'll leave it up to the experts.  I'm not complaining, I'm just thinking.  I'm on vacation and few drinks in, haha.  

Yeah, a lot is going on for Canada on Day 9 with medal chances in artistic gymnastics (women's vault), athletics (men's high jump, men's 100m), diving (women's 3m springboard), sailing (women's laser) and swimming (women's 4x100m medley relay). Hoping for a multi-medal day.

This will be the best chance for the men to get on the medal board.

31 minutes ago, orangeman said:

This is very true, and it's the same reason why we rarely, if ever, see multiple Canadians on a podium in the SOG, and have never swept a podium in either SOG or WOG.  The closest would be freestyle skiing, with a near sweep in 2014 in mens moguls, although some might argue without the East Germans doping Canadian swimmers might have seen it in the 70s.  

Can we name an individual event at the SOG that Canadians are historically good at?  The Koreans have archery, the Chinese diving and table tennis, the Romanians gymnastics and rowing, hell even Fiji has rugby now.  I'd say the closest is trampoline, but that's coming to an end now that the Chinese will take over (and make the sport boring).  

Having said that, one of the great things about Canadian sport is that there are always a diverse field at the Olympics.  At the WOG I believe Canada holds the record for winning in the most events at a single Games.  And for the SOG we always get lots at different kinds of sports. Still, that indicates that it's more about pure talent winning through more than a comprehensive system developing talent. 

Anyway, I'll leave it up to the experts.  I'm not complaining, I'm just thinking.  I'm on vacation and few drinks in, haha.  

TBH I much prefer Canada being good at most sport without being dominant in any than I would having Canada dominate one or two sport but not being very good at any other one.

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

TBH I much prefer Canada being good at most sport without being dominant in any than I would having Canada dominate one or two sport but not being very good at any other one.

I completely agree.  My only gripe is that Canada should always be at their current level in swimming and athletics (~4-6 medals each).  And the men should be stronger at swimming.  We went through a terrible drought in both for 20+ years, and for a country like us, that's not acceptable.  Surely we have the talent.  It comes down to development and training.  

And after the success of the 90s, it was sad to see such a decline in Canadian rowing since.  A gold this year was amazing.