website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Mirjana Lucic-Baroni played her second career final in Strasbourg 19 years ago, in 1997. And that is the only final she lost. Now she is in Strasbourg final again! She was very convincing against French girls - Parmentier beaten 6-0, 6-1; Mladenovic beaten 6-1, 6-1 and she plays Garcia in final! Go Mirjana for that hat trick and Strasbourg title! :cheer:

And she is in Halep's part of the draw, possible 3rd round match. Please Mikica, you must reach 3 rd round at least :hearts:

58 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Mirjana Lucic-Baroni played her second career final in Strasbourg 19 years ago, in 1997. And that is the only final she lost. Now she is in Strasbourg final again! She was very convincing against French girls - Parmentier beaten 6-0, 6-1; Mladenovic beaten 6-1, 6-1 and she plays Garcia in final! Go Mirjana for that hat trick and Strasbourg title! :cheer:

And she is in Halep's part of the draw, possible 3rd round match. Please Mikica, you must reach 3 rd round at least :hearts:

:fingers:

Bertens wins her 2nd WTA title :clap:

She'll move up to around 58th on the world rankings....at RG she'll need a 4th round to possibly qualify for the Olympics, which I guess will be kinda hard with her playing against Kerber already in round 1. Obviously nothing is certain, Kerber isn't a 100% winner against Bertens (logically), but she (Bertens) definitely isn't the favorite of course :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Bertens wins her 2nd WTA title :clap:

She'll move up to around 58th on the world rankings....at RG she'll need a 4th round to possibly qualify for the Olympics, which I guess will be kinda hard with her playing against Kerber already in round 1. Obviously nothing is certain, Kerber isn't a 100% winner against Bertens (logically), but she (Bertens) definitely isn't the favorite of course :p 

Bertens definitely has chances in that match 

A lot of interesting matches in the first round, especially on the womens side:

Coric-Fritz, Chung-Halys, Pospisil-Berdych, Granollers-Fognini, Dimitrov-Troicki, Rosol-Wawrinka, Verdasco-Johnson, Svitolina-Cirstea, Kerber-Bertens, Friedsam-Kasatkina, Görges-Konta, Siegemund-Bouchard (my personal highlight), Osaka-Ostapenko, Stosur-Doi.

I think Chirico, Cibulkova, Cirstea and maybe even Babos might surprise a lot of people here. On the mens side the same is true for Kyrgios, Pouille and Cuevas. On the womens side the part of the draw between Kerber and Kvitova looks pretty open, although Bacsinszky, Keys and Kvitova are pretty safe to make the quarterfinal in my opinion.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 5/22/2016 at 19:42, OlympicsFan said:

A lot of interesting matches in the first round, especially on the womens side:

Coric-Fritz, Chung-Halys, Pospisil-Berdych, Granollers-Fognini, Dimitrov-Troicki, Rosol-Wawrinka, Verdasco-Johnson, Svitolina-Cirstea, Kerber-Bertens, Friedsam-Kasatkina, Görges-Konta, Siegemund-Bouchard (my personal highlight), Osaka-Ostapenko, Stosur-Doi.

I think Chirico, Cibulkova, Cirstea and maybe even Babos might surprise a lot of people here. On the mens side the same is true for Kyrgios, Pouille and Cuevas. On the womens side the part of the draw between Kerber and Kvitova looks pretty open, although Bacsinszky, Keys and Kvitova are pretty safe to make the quarterfinal in my opinion.

Yeah, Siegemund-Bouchard is definitely the highlight :d Couldn't pick better women's matches as potential upsets as well :yes 

I'd add Begu on your list instead of Babos. And Kvitova making quarters is bold prediction after her match with Kovinic.

Would like to see the battle of youngsters, Coric-Fritz and Chung-Halys. Though, Coric looks like safe bet in his match. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Wanderer:

Yeah, Siegemund-Bouchard is definitely the highlight :d Couldn't pick better women's matches as potential upsets as well :yes 

I'd add Begu on your list instead of Babos. And Kvitova making quarters is bold prediction after her match with Kovinic.

Would like to see the battle of youngsters, Coric-Fritz and Chung-Halys. Though, Coric looks like safe bet in his match. 

I think Babos can at least reach the match against Serena, but probably she will have no chance to beat her. Begu has a better draw and seems to be in a pretty good shape (like all romanian girls), so i wouldnt call her a possible upset, especially because she is seeded. I just noticed that the same is true for Cibulkova, so you probably cant call her a possible upset either ...

The most interesting players for me will be Chirico and Cirstea. Before australian open i expected Crawford to go pretty deep but she really let me down, i think the same might happen with Chirico. I will also have a look at Stephens and Keys (who have a lot of potential but finally need to take the next step) and of course my favorite players (Ostapenko, Beck, Safarova, Gavrilova, Zverev and Kyrgios).

Kvitova has often a very slow start, i wouldnt see it as a bad sign. Kerber had a match point against her in the first round of the australian open and then went on to win everything. I think Kvitova might need faster conditions, so she has to hope that the rain will stop soon, the same might be true for Kerber, so i wouldnt bet anything on Kerber winning against Bertens, especially because Kerber still isnt 100% fit after her shoulder injury and Bertens just won Nürnberg.

I am not so sure about Coric winning easily against Fritz, both players didnt look so good recently, but Coric should be more experienced. Fritz on the other hand did pretty good at the australian open, so i can see him beating Coric here. The biggest advantage for Coric might be that Fritz doesnt seem to have a lot endurance, so Coric probably "only" needs to take the match to a 5th set and then Fritz would probably fall apart.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.