website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

The team event is super exciting though, just like the Mixed 4x400m relay.

Another TV bullshit, city events with 20 secs. courses. Thanks, I'll pass, It's bad enough Olympic downhill tracks are flat as hell because they award the WOG to some non-traditional venues. I miss the Lillehammer atmosphere with real fans, real courses and Olympic spirit.

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

That's it. And if it works well I would be totally behind it. But this one is just pointless... we already have a men's and women's 4x400m... adding a mixed event in the same distance adds nothing new. If you are going to add it then you have to remove the two specific gender events to make it have some sense, but that would be worse :d

I feel like "politically correct" is just a term to be thrown at anything people don't like.  What is "politically correct" about the mixed relay?  I guess you'd have to define "politically correct" to begin with.  To me, politically correct would mean including a women's version of an event even if there's not enough competitors.  It would mean including competitors from every continent even though they are not the best in the world (something that is already done).  I don't see how a mixed relay is politically correct.  

Just now, dcro said:

Except that it isn't. Everyone has already figured out the most beneficial order M-W-W-M (except Japan).

Good in both genders? It's just rich getting richer again.

That might be the current strategy, but sometimes, as Nike says, you have to risk everything to achieve greatness. There are so, so many events where the rich get richer. I really don’t see a problem with this one.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

And generally performs very well at the Jeux De La Francophonie...

I wouldn't say that, I think not even in the athletics. Very well would mean top 5 - top 10 in the medals table, I'm not sure about results but I don't think we're there.

That be like saying the only good part of the Tour De France is the time trials...

The 50km is monster. Only athletes with the best fitness and best strategy can win. It’s a true test of Skiing ability.

What strategy? It's 49 km of hanging back in the pack and 1 km sprint. That's all. I'm sorry but you really haven't watched any 50km time trial events in your life?

50km ain't a monster tbh. Have you heard of the Vasaloppet for instance?

Just now, Monzanator said:

Another TV bullshit, city events with 20 secs. courses. Thanks, I'll pass, It's bad enough Olympic downhill tracks are flat as hell because they award the WOG to some non-traditional venues. I miss the Lillehammer atmosphere with real fans, real courses and Olympic spirit.

Right, but when 3/4ths of the world can only ever watch a sport on TV, you have to innovate.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, orangeman said:

I feel like "politically correct" is just a term to be thrown at anything people don't like.

You’re my new best friend :yes

Right, but when 3/4ths of the world can only ever watch a sport on TV, you have to innovate.

It's down to money. China can buy every God damn Olympics if they want to and were allowed to. Hell, Doha would host WOG if they could ship snow to the Gulf!

I can't possibly wait how horrible the Olympic downhill course will be in Beijing.