website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024

Totallympics

Every sport action (Alpine Skiing, Biathlon, Luge, Short Track, Snowboarding and Ski Jumping) on Day 1 & 2 of the Games (Saturday & Sunday 20 & 21 January)in total 19 medal events are schedulled from 9 AM to 2 PM local time so everything between 1 & 6 AM here :p

Nothing after :lol: https://img.olympics.com/images/image/private/fl_attachment/primary/k2euthrn0oaalwoywnsn.pdf

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Every sport action (Alpine Skiing, Biathlon, Luge, Short Track, Snowboarding and Ski Jumping) on Day 1 & 2 of the Games (Saturday & Sunday 20 & 21 January)in total 19 medal events are schedulled from 9 AM to 2 PM local time so everything between 1 & 6 AM here :p

Nothing after :lol: https://img.olympics.com/images/image/private/fl_attachment/primary/k2euthrn0oaalwoywnsn.pdf

16:00 to 21:00 in California. Seems perfect to me :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

16:00 to 21:00 in California. Seems perfect to me :p

Yeah, I´ll give you this one, it was about time for Americas to have some games in normal hours, no problem with that :d

I just do not understand WHY they have to schedule all events-all finals of all sports at the very same exact time ? who came with this epochally amazing idea ? Biathlon and alpine skiing and ski jumping finals at same time short track, snowboarding and luge finals as well... a couple of minutes later nada only 3vs3 girls hockey the rest of the afternoon. That just sounds brilliant to me :p

Real masterclass schedulling for sports not popular and followed/watched in Europe...oh wait...

The only Ski Jumping events of the games

image.png

Biathlon

image.png

Alpine Skiing

image.png

Luge

image.png

Times are local, in Europe it is -8 hours. Masterpiece ! :bowdown:

9 hours ago, intoronto said:

The world doesn't revolve around Europe :mumble:

I think we slightly misunderstood my post here. :p

I never claimed that. I was talking specifically about these four sports, which, let´s be honest fo a second and I guess we will agree, have a significantly larger audience base in Europe than on other continents.

There sports more popular in Americas, sports more popular in Asia, Oceania, Africa etc... and you have some sports more popular in Europe. Luge, Biathlon, Ski Jumping, Alpine Skiing etc... have a better chance of finding fans who will turn on the stream in Europe than in America, but certainly not in the past midnight part of the nights. This is just plain stupid and will only hurt the sports themselves, the Organizing committee and IOC at the end.

Vancouver 2010 made the schedule specially with looking for European fans to watch their sports, Ski Jumping and Biathlon started so early the morning for the sole reason to be before midnight in Europe.

PyeongChang 2018 & Beijing 2022 had them so late in the evening almost at midnight in the freeze and dark for the sole reason to be at better time for Europeans morning.

This nothing special, it happens always, Figure Skating, Short Track in Asia, Swimming, Basketball, Snowboarding, Freestyle Skiing etc.. much more popular sports in North America and Oceania with bigger chances to find higher amount of people turning on the stream were schedulled at times to serve this audience, Swimming had Finals early the morning for example which is completely dumb but it is how it works :d

So I just found this schedulle completelly illogical and plain stupid, How many people will turn on the Luge stream in N. America Prime Time ? in Asia, Oceania morning the 21st and 22nd January ? I guess around 5 people... How many people would turn on the stream around Germany, Austria, Italy, or for Ski Jumping Poland, Norway or Biathlon around Sweden, France, Switzerland etc ?... Millions ? maybe not, Thousands very likely, Now at 2 AM probably none

It has nothing with Europe rulling the world, It is just pointing a mistake, an unprofitable and stupid decision that will only kill any hype and consequently harm these sports

Edited by hckošice

What's going on with the cross-country skiing program being cut to almost nothing? :yikes:

It's only an individual sprint, an individual short-distance race and a mixed relay...and that's all. At least alpine skiing has a somewhat decent program, but damn. I know it's the Youth Olympics, but one would hope the 'development' part would be more in terms of the athletes than the program still being underdeveloped :p 

Not that this, or the whole scheduling thing, will matter at all here in the Netherlands. It's the Youth Olympics, nobody will even know it's going on except for people who are on super niche forums like this one (which is how I know) :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 12/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, vinipereira said:

Brazil should go with 17 athletes which would be our biggest team ever in a Winter competition.

Which is excellent in the cross-country skiing. The Brazilian federation already made their choice for the one boy and one girl long ago (despite the fight in the boys' race still going on, they wanted to have one person to focus on, as per their usual modus operandi), but strangely suddenly switched the boys' choice one or two weeks ago, basically out of nowhere and without really any clear reason.

Now that they've got two spots for both the boys (so both can go) and the girls (where the choice really is super easy), that problem is solved nicely :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!