website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

12 minutes ago, phelps said:

Boxing and Modern Pentathlon being axed (Weightlifting will be saved, I'm more than sure about that...and could even regain a bit of quota places and a couple of weight classes after being almost cancelled in Paris) would likely open the space to increase the number of quota places in those combat sports that are currently heavily penalized in terms of participation (namely, Fencing -going from the current 8 teams, 36 individuals to 12 teams, 48 individuals per event and above all, Taekwondo -increasing to 5 if not 6 weight classes)

there's also a small chance that Karate would comeback into the Olympic program, but it's still a long road

All of this would be convenient for Italy, what a coincidence.:p  Boxing will never leave. Look at the insane effort IOC is willing to make these days to kept it.

Boxing fans are a bit like men's football fans, they watch anything you throw at them. Even low level or rigged competitions like the olympic ones.

4 hours ago, Dolby said:

Personally, I don't think Cricket at Olympics much sense. But, it is not because of it being boring or crazy long game. A T20 game lasts only about 3 hours including mid-inning break. I am sure a baseball game is longer than that. Regarding sacrificing more Olympic fitting sports/quota, all of us are seeing it in the wrong way. We see it as Cricket/Breaking/Surfing etc. replacing more traditional and more Olympic fitting sports. Reality is those sports are losing out no matter what. They will be dropped unless they can get more eyeballs/money. The question is how long can they survive and who replaces them. 

From Indian medal point of view, Kabbadi in Olympics is better than cricket but Kabbadi is not even in the same league as Cricket. 

And do give Cricket a chance. Try to watch it in the upcoming Asian Games. I remember the apprehension (even scorn) a number of users here had regarding Kabbadi before watching it. 

Okay, but somebody should actually make that happen. Kabbadi is my favorite sport to watch during the Asian Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

All of this would be convenient for Italy, what a coincidence.:p  Boxing will never leave. Look at the insane effort IOC is willing to make these days to kept it.

Boxing fans are a bit like men's football fans, they watch anything you throw at them. Even low level or rigged competitions like the olympic ones.

it might be convenient for :ITA right now (not that in those disciplines -except for Fencing, where we actually would be happier with less opponents- we've always won tons of medals), but my opinion wasn't created keeping our interests in mind

it's just what I think (and a couple of things I know)

p.s. boxing is not so safe as many still think, imho

I know that Bach and its current agenda are determined to save it at all costs, but the 1976 olympic champion and his crew are going in 12 months time

the new leadership might think that keeping such bunch of corrupted people around is not worth the effort

IOC management can still go from worse to worst...and once on the bottom, they can always start digging deep

20 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Multiple media outlets in UK reporting that T20 cricket is "very likely" to feature on the 2028 Olympic programme. With the format being a pool of 5 teams for both men and women. 

5 teams per gender....and that's all then? So I would assume it would feature as a sort of demonstration sport and not an official medal event? Seems rather too tiny for that with a field of a grand total of five :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 hours ago, hckošice said:

Cricket ? oh man.. Do they really want bore the audiences to sleep... They already have Field Hockey for that

You're definitely my favourite Slovak ever buddy, but you misspelled 'ice' and wrote it as 'field' again!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I said it years ago. USA, the country with the biggest history and lineage of all time would never throw out Boxing. They have more traditions in it, than practically any other sport, with the exception of athletics, swimming and basketball.

If this was a country with no traditions like Australia, sure, there could a possibility of excluding boxing. But USA, come on. It's absurd that people even think it, no matter what their opinion on the sport is currently.

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

Is that true though? Pro boxing, the big heavyweight fights and such, has quite a following for example in the Netherlands (not huge, but a good amount of people watch the heavyweight title fight if it's being shown), whereas basically nobody would watch the non-professional form of boxing. Maybe for a few minutes if there's a match with a Dutch fighter, but that's about it.

Feels the same as kickboxing or something: I very much enjoy the big pro kickboxing fights, but for example the lame versions at the recent European Games....I noped out of that after a few fights in which absolutely nothing happened.

Edited by heywoodu

21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Imagine thinking field hockey is entertaining and ice isn't :wall:

Imagine thinking either is entertaining :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela