website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

And in some sports, even when they send their best athletes, they are beaten by other nations. Case in point: artistic gymnastics and diving. Both Canada and the US sent some of their best athletes and were beaten by Brazil both in gold and overall number of medals in artistic gymnastics (the US tied in overall medals with Brazil, actually) and, so far, by Mexico in diving (Mexico has more gold medals AND overall medals in diving than any other nation).

Let's stop pretending the rest of the continent can't keep up and the competition is hopeless, please.

I'm quite uninterested in the rest of this discussion, but regarding diving Canada didn't send anyone to compete in the 1m because it is not an Olympic event. So far in Olympic events, CAN and MEX have each won 2 golds, while CAN has won 5 medals to MEX's 4.  

I'm not saying this to prove Canada is superior and I'm not trying to be needlessly nitpicky.  I'm just saying, in events that both countries take seriously, they are pretty evenly matched.  Watching diving has been a treat!  

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

I really enjoyed watching the individual ball final. I really appreciated the skill and the artistic expression. The 5 ball is much less interesting as an event.

The music and choreography have much to do for a routine to be interesting. The  Brazilian girls did very good, but music killed them a little.