:ISR Shira Rishony OR Tamar Malca

:CHI Mary Dee Vargas Ley

:GER Katharina Menz

:BLK Sabina Giliazova

:CHN Guo Zongying

:AZE Leyla Aliyeva

:UZB Khalimajon Kurbonova

:BRA Natasha Ferreira

World Junior Championships now underway in Odivelas, Portugal. Japanese judokas sweep all four gold medals on offer on the first day of action. Both men’s 60 kg and 66 kg won by athletes of the same name: Yamato Fukuda 

i had to double check the names to make sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me :d

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 2023 continental championships - Asian Games, PanAmerican/Oceanian championships and this weekend's Europeans count towards the first qualifying period - so should they be credited at 50%? Looking at IJF website, they've credited 100% for Asian games which seems a bit strange.

5 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The 2023 continental championships - Asian Games, PanAmerican/Oceanian championships and this weekend's Europeans count towards the first qualifying period - so should they be credited at 50%? Looking at IJF website, they've credited 100% for Asian games which seems a bit strange.

Poor enough outing for GBR. Lachland picked up a couple of wins which was good, and Giles was dependable as ever. Otherwise? I counted a single win by Yates-Brown and thats it. Every other fighter lost first round.

4 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Poor enough outing for GBR. Lachland picked up a couple of wins which was good, and Giles was dependable as ever. Otherwise? I counted a single win by Yates-Brown and thats it. Every other fighter lost first round.

You're right - it was an absolute horror show for :GBR :hairpull: although some of the guys did get some pretty tough draws. Will ignore the women because I still think we are well placed to qualify in 5 of the weight classes and have realistic medal prospects in both Giles and Renshall (She wasn't at the Euros after picking up injury in Zagreb). On the women's side, I would probably be most disappointed for Nekoda Smythe-Davis who had to fight for her place in the squad and wasn't able to take advantage of the opportunity. 

Had high hopes for Sam Hall to do well as he has had some decent form over the last couple of weeks, but he drew 4th seed Khyar in the 1st round which was always going to be difficult. I just wish he and Charlie Young had been reversed in the draw because I think Hall could have had the beating of Garcia Torne but that could just be wishful thinking. 

Both Petgrave and Moorhead need to get their s**t together and start banking some points PDQ or they will see their potential quota places disappearing quicker than Usain Bolt. 

On a side note, was very surprised that Olympics.com site was suggesting that Wesley Greenidge (+100Kg) was one of the British athletes to watch as a potential qualifier for Paris. He is so far off the pace that the suggestion that he could qualify is almost laughable.  

• 3 weeks later...