website statistics

Track Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Last thoughts - on women's sprint events:

Women's Team Sprint:

Confirmed Quotas: :GBR :CHN :GER :MEX :POL :NZL :NED

Contested Quotas:

:FRA - 5403.75

-----------------

:CAN - 4852.50

As with the men's evet, this will be close and will likely come down to whoever is able to finish highest in Milton this weekend. Beyond being hometown favourites, Canada have the added advantage of only counting 1 2024 NC event whereas France have 2. This means that France need to finish higher than 7th in order to improve their ranking points total. On an adjusted basis, Canada have a lead of around 170 points so France would need to finish at least 3 places higher than Canada to secure the quota. With a reduced field in Milton, Canada should be able to do enough to take the quota.

Individual Sprint/Keirin

2 Individual Quotas Through Team Sprint: :GBR :CHN :GER :MEX :POL :NZL :NED :CAN (16)

Individual Quotas - Sprint: :FRA :JPN :COL :ITA :AUS :BEL (6)

Continental Quota: :EGY (1)

Belgium have a 500 point lead over :USA for the last quota spot - probably too much to be made up in Milton.

Individual Quotas - Keirin: :JPN :FRA :COL :BEL :AUS :ITA (6)

Contested Quota:

:MAS - 2254.50

---------------

:ESP - 2185

:HKG - 2176

Malaysia should be safe in the last quota - the three nations are all pretty equally matched in terms of their results to date and realistically Spain or Hong Kong would likely need a top-10 finish to really stand chance of moving up the ranking. 

CORRECTION: After a great spot from @Adriano, need to make a couple of changes 

Women's Endurance events

Women's Team Pursuit:

Confirmed Quotas: :NZL :GBR :AUS :IRL :ITA :JPN :GER :FRA :CAN :USA

Women's Madison:

Confirmed Quotas from Team Pursuit: :NZL :GBR :AUS :IRL :ITA :JPN :GER :FRA :CAN :USA

Safe Individual Quotas::DEN :NED :POL :BEL :SUI

Missed out Denmark from initial post who are actually the safes of all the individual quotas! :facepalm:Anyhow, net effect is that there should be no contested quotas in the event.

Women's Omnium:

Confirmed Quotas from Team Pursuit: :NZL :GBR :AUS :IRL :ITA :JPN :GER :FRA :CAN :USA

Expected Quotas from Madison: :DEN :NED :POL :BEL :SUI 

Safe Individual Quotas: :NOR :POR :LTU :CHN :HKG

Continental Quota: :EGY

Contested Quotas:

:CZE - 2015.50

-----------------

:ESP - 1854.50

Czechia have quite a high bar in order for them to be able to increase their points total as they would need to finish 9th or better but it's not any easier for Spain because although they have a lower discard score, in order to be able to overtake Czechia they would need to finish at least 10th.  Czechia should therefore be safe for the final quota.

So I was checking wiki and the qualified athletes and I have some questions. Did not find the information but if one athlete gets a quota in sprint, it means he also has a quota for keirin. At the same time, can the same country get the quota for keirin, too? As the matter of fact, if you qualify a sprint team, you have up to 2 quotas in the individual sprint. But if you dont qualify a team but you get one quota in individual sprint and one in keirin, it means that you have also 2 quotas in both sprint and keirin, right? I am not so certain about this rule. But can you qualify 2 riders for these individual events you if you don't qualify a team? Thanks. 

Edited by Jan Linha
Wrong autocorrect

11 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

So I was checking wiki and the qualified athletes and I have some questions. Did not find the information but if one athlete gets a quota in sprint, it means he also has a quota for keirin. At the same time, can the same country get the quota for keirin, too? As the matter of fact, if you qualify a sprint team, you have up to 2 quotas in the individual sprint. But if you dont qualify a team but you get one quota in individual sprint and one in keirin, it means that you have also 2 quotas in both sprint and keirin, right? I am not so certain about this rule. But can you qualify 2 riders for these individual events you if you don't qualify a team? Thanks. 

Yes you can qualify 2 individual riders in the sprint/keirin and technically, it is possible for it to be the same athlete that qualifies in both events. 

Take Trinidad & Tobago as an example - it has been Nicholas Paul's results that have secured the quota in individual sprint and in keirin but they will be able to take Kwesi Browne as their second athlete.

It is more complicated for Israel and Suriname as they don't have a second eligible rider so they will not be able to take their second quota. 

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Yes you can qualify 2 individual riders in the sprint/keirin and technically, it is possible for it to be the same athlete that qualifies in both events. 

Take Trinidad & Tobago as an example - it has been Nicholas Paul's results that have secured the quota in individual sprint and in keirin but they will be able to take Kwesi Browne as their second athlete.

It is more complicated for Israel and Suriname as they don't have a second eligible rider so they will not be able to take their second quota. 

Thanks a lot. I have done exactly the same counting. I was checking.....  :TTO  surely have 2 eligible athletes, even though it is Nicolas Paul who has collected most of the points. Surely  :ISR and :SUR will probably have to refuse the second quota or they "won't get it approved"? Anyways, how about, if you actually get two quotas by the same athlete who gets it in sprint and keirin and you want to take another athlete, but for example someone who has never competed in WC or WCH, maybe some national level. Are there any standards which the athlete they decide to qualify, must achieve? Any UCI points or someone who has participated in some certain events? 

10 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

:TTO  surely have 2 eligible athletes, even though it is Nicolas Paul who has collected most of the points.

Yes they do and I expect them to take Kwesi Browne as their second rider. 

11 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Anyways, how about, if you actually get two quotas by the same athlete who gets it in sprint and keirin and you want to take another athlete, but for example someone who has never competed in WC or WCH, maybe some national level. Are there any standards which the athlete they decide to qualify, must achieve? Any UCI points or someone who has participated in some certain events? 

In order to be eligible for selection the rider has to have gained at least 10 UCI points in a qualifying event - '23 & '24 Nations Cup events, '23 World Champs and '23 and '24 Continental Champs

1 hour ago, rybak said:

Its still somehow possible that we will have two quotas in mens individual sprint or its wishfull thinking?

Can't see scenario where you get a second quota. Poland improved their ranking in Keirin after Milton but it wasn't enough to get into a quota spot and I think because they already have a quota in the event, they would not be eligible for any reallocation. 

Final track cycling quota projection:

image.png

I think there are 2 quota reallocations on the cards on the men's side - Israel and Suriname don't have a second eligible rider and so they will have to reject the quota. Assuming that is the case, I'd project that :HUN and :KAZ will get an individual quota for sprint/keirin. 

On the women's side, there is only 1 quota which should be subject to reallocation - Italy don't have an eligible second rider in the keirin/sprint behind Miriam Vece. In the most likely scenario, Italy will probably reject the keirin quota resulting in :ESP picking up the spot for sprint/keirin.

However, it may be possible that Italy could accept the second individual keirin quota and use it to nominate an extra endurance rider. Technically, I don't see anything in the qualification document that would prevent this - unless the eligibility clause relating to 10 points applies to the individual event - and it would give them the option of resting a rider for team pursuit qualifying. Given the team pursuit is run over 2 days rather than 1, I'm not sure it would actually give them that much of an edge though, so I'd still expect them to return the quota.