website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Mexico earned 7 more quotas by ranking:

Women’s 200m - Cecilia TAMAYO GARZA :clap:

Women’s 20km racewalk - Ilse GUERRERO & Alejandra ORTEGA.

Men’s 800m - Jesús Tonatiu LÓPEZ :clap:

Men’s High Jump - Erick PORTILLO & Edgar RIVERA

Men’s Hammer Throw - Diego DEL REAL

They join 5 women & 5 men previously qualified by Standard, including one who will enter the Mixed racewalk relay, 

So 17 in total.

The only other with very slim chances to join is Avilés Ferreyro in men’s 400m, who finished 53rd in the ranking.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

I would think it particularly disgraceful to see a home nation refuse quotas 

Always has been the policy, home nation or not.

Edit: Still it's going be the largest french athletics team in a very long time. Possibly, ever.

Edited by De_Gambassi

3 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

All the :CZE athletes as I predicted qualified and few of them on the waiting list. Really hoping for Petr Meindlschmid in long jump. Czech Rising start, 7th in ECH this year, currently 2nd below the line. 

He is 1st Alternate now. As Sreeshankar :IND is currently 7th in the list ( He achieved entry standard last year) but is out injured & won’t participate in Paris. 
Jeswin Aldrin :IND our other long jumper is currently placed 33rd ( first alternate) but he will get in due to his teammate withdrawal .  So Meindlschmid :CZE is now the first alternate in the list. You need just 1 more withdrawal.

3 hours ago, dodge said:

Jodie McCann of Ireland is 5 places off the standard but her coach told journalists that they’re confident they’ll get in as they expect “8-10” to not take their quota

For now :IRL adds 5 through the rankings 

Here coach is right , a number of athletes who achieved qualification in 5000 will not run as they qualified in other events & the schedule is not kind. 
Parul Chaudhary :IND qualified in both Steeplechase & 5000 but she is most likely to withdraw from 5000 & concentrate on her pet event i.e Steeplechase. I hope there is 8-9 withdrawals  as our other girl in 5000 Ankita is 7 places outside the cut off range. With Parul’s likely withdrawal she needs just 6 more withdrawals. I hope Jodie’s coach has got the number spot on. 

3 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Here coach is right , a number of athletes who achieved qualification in 5000 will not run as they qualified in other events & the schedule is not kind. 
Parul Chaudhary :IND qualified in both Steeplechase & 5000 but she is most likely to withdraw from 5000 & concentrate on her pet event i.e Steeplechase. I hope there is 8-9 withdrawals  as our other girl in 5000 Ankita is 7 places outside the cut off range. With Parul’s likely withdrawal she needs just 6 more withdrawals. I hope Jodie’s coach has got the number spot on. 

Same for Regan Yee. So that’s 5 away for Ankita.

Edit: Yavi will probably also focus on the steeplechase. 4 now. 

Edit: Nuttall’s quota will get declined by Great Britain, and Warner-Judd is injured, so that’s 2.

Edited by Josh

:IND has qualified 8 more athletes by ranking 

Women: 

1. Jyoti Yarraji - 100mH

2. Annu Rani - Javelin 

3. Abha Kathua - Shotput

Men: 

1. Sarvesh Kushare - High Jump

2. Abdulla Aboobacker- Triple Jump

3. Praveen Chitravel - Triple Jump

4. Tajinderpal Singh Toor - Shotput

5. Jeswin Aldrin - Long jump ( he is ranked 33rd but gets in due to Sreeshankar’s Withdrawal/injury) 

They join our qualified athletes: 

Men: 

Neeraj Chopra - Javelin 

Kishore Jena- Javelin

Avinash Sable - 3000m SC

20k Race Walk- 3 athletes 

4x400m Relay- 5 athletes 

Women: 

Parul Chaudhary 3000mSC & 5000m 

Kiran Pahal - 400m 

Priyanka Goswami- 20k Race walk

4x400m Relay- 5 athletes 

Mixed events: Race walking mixed team 

So total 26/27 athletes qualified in athletics. :thumbup:

This takes our total contingent size for Paris to 110 athletes in 16 sports. :clap:

Edited by Roamingrover86

2 hours ago, dodge said:

They’re allowed because they’re the last continental championship for the Bahamas

At this stage, I'm pretty confident Sophie and Jodie will get in (already heard/know a number of withdrawals in both events) - Tom might be in more trouble, but I understand from yourself needs fewer withdrawals.

5 hours ago, prso1000 said:

I dont think 5km counts for 20km ranking 

5 hours ago, Faramir said:

yes, it should count (maximum one result in a 5 or 10km)

It is supposed to count to replace her 10km result and move her up from 54 to 51 on the rankings, I'm not sure when World Athletics will correct this or why they haven't, but I guess it doesn't really matter unless 3 other athletes ahead of her withdraw.

Just sad for her because she worked so hard in the last years, then was injured and had to miss the Balkan Championships and National Championships this year where she could've gotten easy points to boost her ranking, though she herself said she didn't expect to compete at all in 2024 due to injury so in a way she thought it was impossible to make the Olympics anyways but now she is fully recovered right at the end of the qualification period.

Edited by Makedonas