website statistics
52 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Fits perfectly. Every slogan is...so blood-boilingly lame.

Dare to Dream
Celebrate Diversity
Come Together
Building Bridges
We are One

Yuck. Point me to the restroom so I can vomit please.

We Are One is probably the most lame of those listed :d 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
Just now, OlympicIRL said:

I was told by an American before that my accent reminded him of the Minnesotan accent.... no idea what that sounds like so :d

Just listened to the Minnesota accent on YouTube and it's nothing much like our accent. Not that any Irish accent is anyway similar to any American accent.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah I thought the MidEast/MidWest would be the closest to you :d

I was told by an American before that my accent reminded him of the Minnesotan accent.... no idea what that sounds like so :d

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I got Reno and Fresno. I don’t get LA because my grandma, who I’m close with, was raised in Kansas, so I’ve picked up some of her slang. Plus, I’ve picked up some of my dads from the NorthWest, so I get put somewhere in the middle of those three, hence Reno.

What about you guys @dezbee2008 @Maxim Fastovsky @bmo @Rdbc @Csapo?

I’d be interested in @intoronto @ofan @orangeman answers too, and maybe @OlympicIRL @Grassmarket @Dragon since our language is the closers in similarity.

I got Lexington, Knoxville and Honolulu :d

Yep, I was actually taught this in school. All Hallows’ Eve was invented by the Catholics to win over Celts. No fireworks in the US, lots of video gaming parties though.

It's the worst night of the year for dogs, because they are already on edge with strangers constantly calling round door to door, and then fireworks going of every couple of minutes :d

Btw, Derry always holds a massive festival on Halloween week. Many people from my town go there on Halloween night since it's very close and it's quite something:

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

With the US well into “Spooky Season”, I was wondering what other countries have either adopted Halloween or celebrate some type of similar celebration. I would the UK and Canada celebrate Halloween because of their closeness to American culture, but what about the rest of the world. Halloween’s always been my favorite holiday, even if was only the 4th best as a kid, because it’s close to me birthday. 

Immigrants from Ireland and other Celtic countries brought the custom to the US :P

Halloween has been celebrated here for centuries, owing its origin to the pagan festival Samhain. These days it's celebrated pretty much in the same way as in America. Lots of parties, trick or treating, people dressing up in costumes (adult and children's parties) and many people buy fireworks and set them off :d

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

So with the Rugby World Cup now underway, it's a blessing to again hear the best theme song in world sport on our TV screens once again.... The World In Union, theme song of every Rugby World Cup.

Kiri Te Kanawa - World In Union (Rugby World Cup theme)

And a lovely French version too....

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What do you guys do when studying for an exam, out of these two options?

1) The night before the exam, go to bed early enough to have an extra decent amount of sleep.

2) Sacrifice sleep in the night before the exam, and spend the extra time studying, with the drawback that you'll be tired come exam time.

Option 3 ("Make sure you've got all the studying done in time so this dilemma is not necessary anymore") is not an option :p 

Option 2... though I never could pull all nighters. Instead I would always get up really early in the morning and try to cram in as much as possible :d 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

I had Irish schooling apparently :p. Everything you said is true to my schooling. To be fair Irish very often = Catholic :p. I guess catholic schools have adopted the Irish model. The only differences are: 1) in elementary school we got Thursday-Friday off during Thanksgiving and in high school we got the whole week off 2) I only got 2 weeks off for Christmas, but most American public schools get 3 3) I only got 1 week off at Easter, but many schools are getting 2 weeks off now.

Also I got a lot of random days off (some holy days and whatnot, so I could attend mass and definitely not say at home and some multi-sports games :lol:). Interesting, American’s don’t take Halloween off even though it’s a big deal here. 

Yes, at primary school, we had random days off for holy days of obligation or whatever :d

And yes, I was educated in Catholic schools... my secondary school was run by priests and my sisters attended a "convent" school run by nuns :d.  It's only the older I get I realise how weird the Irish education system is :dI think I posted a picture of it here before, but here it is again, a pic of my secondary school

6763431_orig.jpg

St-Eunans-College.jpg

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Primary schools re-opened here today. The school year for primary schools runs from September - June with 2 weeks off at Christmas and 2 weeks off at Easter as well as other mid term breaks. Age group 4-12 years.

Secondary schools open the last week of August / first week of September and finishes in May. So they have 3 months free in the summer (June, July and August) and 2 weeks off in Christmas and Easter as well as mid term breaks. Age group 12-17 / 18 years.

My primary school and secondary schools both had uniforms so I wore a uniform from 4-17 years of age :d 

Oh, and there is no tradition of gifts for teachers :d