website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

The biggest example tomorrow. :d Sad that my cable network has stopped CNN. It would be fun seeing their faces, when Republicans win again. 

Or when my party retakes the house :p

Except that I’m not a Democrat so...

I do get to vote for the first time tomorrow thought :champion:

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
2 minutes ago, bestmen said:

I didn't like this idea only children can see the clown and effects 

Well in It2 they’ll comeback and try to find it when they’re adults apparently. I actually like the premise a lot. It makes a lot of interesting statements about growing up in America.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
26 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Officially 56.4% of voters rejected independence of New Caledonia

There will be two votes (because the constitution says so) in 2020 and 2022. So we have a few more chances to see a new NOC

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
3 hours ago, bestmen said:

I'm watching IT , those kids :lol:

It was a good movie. I think it could have been done a little bit better, but overall it was one of the best movies last year

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The UK has history of naming streets after the political opponents of oppressive regimes

The South African embassy (during apartheid) was/is on Mandela St. (A fact mentioned during the 2014 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony)

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
3 minutes ago, bestmen said:

+ the street khashoggi is near the embassy of KSA :roflmao:

The UK has history of naming streets after the political opponents of oppressive regimes

Posted
7 minutes ago, Finnator123 said:

Let's post another random Youtube -video to spark conversation (Hopefully) :p

Prager U is seen in the US as the FOX of YouTube. That said they’re videos are interesting, but are still generally biased towards conservatism. They don’t present both sides of the argument well. 

Also, a side point. Literature, comedy, cinema will always lean left because liberal ideology is more suited to these formats. I’m not saying there aren’t good conservative movies or books, but it is called liberal arts after all.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

The Halloween tradition of trick or treating goes way back here to Celtic times. Obviously not kids looking for candies :p. But for more simpler things like nuts, and fruits from the harvest. Halloween is thought to have its roots in the ancient Irish Celtic festival of Samhain.

https://www.newgrange.com/samhain.htm

Yep that’s what we’re taught in history class here on Halloween

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

That's only a mexican thing that mixes christianity and indigenous beliefs :d 

It’s celebrated here in California too

16 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Wtf non-american kids asking for candies? 

We are so late to globalization... i've never seen such a thing here. 

Yeah, but most Latin American countries have the Day of the Dead with similar activities in 2 days.

Well the mood has gone from festive to somber at my school as we learned that the long time history teacher (who taught my mom and her sisters, taught with my mom, taught me, ran the history department, acted as Basketball coach, acted as Athletics director, and deeply cared about the students) has passes away during doctor’s appointment

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Me neither :d 

Although it wouldn't be a bad way to get some discipline.

Edited by Olympian1010
The website is broken for me, but my response was: I’m the opposite of discipline

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Are you in the army high school? Or secretly British? 

Nope, but private high school.

The last place you’d see me is army school or the army.

Edited by Olympian1010

I’ve got a few hours till our Halloween starts. However because I’m in high school they had us dress up (which is better than wearing my uniform). I came as a Icelandic Footballer. I won’t trick or treat tonight, I haven’t since I was 12, but I will had out candy because my neighborhood is a hotspot for kids. Plus, it’s called cold outside, so it takes balls to go door to door.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Two months and two days later and we're finally getting somewhere: 15km for the first time today :cheer:

Now you can run as far as a certain Brazilian biathlete regulars skis (probably)

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
5 hours ago, Griff88 said:

I don't think Olympic posters collection are going to expand, unless you count "e-posters" :lol:

Pins are much more worth it, since I've seen our athletes collected them and many countries have different pins per for each editions (even two or three different pins from the same country in one Olympic) -> but don't blame me if one day you are broke

I really want to collect pins, and it like the posters because they’re cool (most are reprints obviously). I’m thinking about mascot and torch replicas as well

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

I’m looking to get into Olympic collecting, but what do you guys think are things most worth collecting? Pins, collectibles, posters?

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
27 minutes ago, hckosice said:

So it was about Beneš then, he was the "president" of the Czechoslovak government in exile in London

Yes, it was a great read to. That man loved his country and tried hard to keep it democratic.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I have no idea which book you meant, but during WWII Czechoslovakia did not existed, since 1938 after the sadly known "Munich agreement (here called: Munich betrayal) between Nazi Germany, Italy, GB and France" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Agreement  Czechoslovakia was dissolved, with the Czech part becoming the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and Slovakia became shamefully a cleric-fascist Hitler´s puppet Republic, after the end of the war both parts were thankfully reunited again in new Czechoslovakia.

So I guess you meant Edvard Beneš ? the president before and after WWII  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Beneš

I don’t remember much about the book, but it was about the ruler in exiles government in London. Which as in historian knows London was because the head of all real European governments at the time.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

@hckosice I remember reading a book about the Czechoslovak President during the Second World War, and how he struggled to gain his countries freedom and his governments recognition. I don’t remember the name of the book, but it was fascinating read.