website statistics
2 minutes ago, Cobi said:

:ESP has 5 boats: KL1, KL3, VL2, VL3 (men) and KL2 (women)

Apologies, I tried my best to make the count accurate. It’s hard to look through all those little boxes without getting a headache.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Paracanoe quotas: https://www.canoeicf.com/sites/default/files/paracanoe_quota_allocation_-_tokyo_2020_-_media_format.pdf

8 boats - :GBR

7 boats - :RUS:BRA

6 boats - :HUN:JPN

5 boats - :GER:ESP

4 boats - :ITA:UKR:AUS:POL

3 boats - :FRA:UZB:CAN

2 boats - :CHN:ARG:POR:NZL:USA:IRI

1 boat - :AUT:KAZ:BLR:IRL:CHI:ISR:SWE:IND

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Paralympic Sports Discussion Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Most sports replay available in youtube. But is it same for all countries or is it blocked anywhere 

@Olympian1010 

I believe it’s open to all countries at this point. I have two playlists I keep if you want them.

I was rewatching the Games for a while towards the end of summer, but then school work got in the way.

Posted

When I was archiving results recently, I came across a database set up by the IPC to document the results from all of the editions of the Paralympic Games. It reminds me lot of a Olympedia actually. It’s pretty user friendly, and not too difficult to navigate. Here’s a link for those interested: https://db.ipc-services.org/sdms/hira

I’ve really enjoyed reading through the results of the earlier editions. The most surprising result I’ve seen so far is Jamaica’s silver medal in Women’s Wheelchair Basketball in 1972.

Posted

Hopefully Para Bobsleigh will be added to the 2026 Winter Paralympics. It was originally supposed to debut in 2022, but the IPC decided some criteria for inclusion weren’t met. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1097429/para-bobsleigh-2026-winter-paralympics

Parapan American Games 2019
Posted

2 Brazilian athletes have been caught doping so far. One was a cyclist who did not medal, and the other was a swimmer who did. So Brazil loses 1 silver and 1 bronze medal. Argentina is upgraded to silver, and Brazil is upgraded to 2 bronze (they had the fourth place swimmer in both events).

16 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I've just discovered paralympic powerlifting and I'm in love with this sport. It's so exciting to watch! I never trusted weightlifting after so many doping scandals, so I could never get into it, but powerlifting is absolutely amazing! 

Yeah para-powerlifting is quite fun. I really find most of the Para-sports to be highly entertaining affairs.

Posted
10 minutes ago, dcro said:

I like how there is no bulshit with IPC. Russia doping - banned. Belarus protesting - banned. Wheelchair basketball irregulations - removed.

If only IOC had a spine like that...

It’s truly blissful isn’t it. They have to be one of the best governed sports bodies worldwide.

My general rule is that people who grew up on the bottom, generally know how to better govern than those who grew up on top. Many of the people in the Paralympic movement grew up in the face discrimination, hardship, etc., so they want to make things as free, as fair, and as equal as possible.

If you read the article I posted a few days ago, you can see that the IPC is always looking for ways to improve the sports they govern. It’s so refreshing, and it’s one of the reasons I like Para-Sports so much.

I can’t wait for the Paralympics this summer (with or without Wheelchair Basketball :p)

Posted

Bombshell announcement by the IPC today: https://games24.totallympics.com/?p=1690

I’m rather shocked by this. It’s the most played paralympic sport worldwide. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Posted

Livestreaming information for the 2020 Para Track Cycling World Championships: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1089776/canada-paralympic-committee-cycling