website statistics
India National Thread
Posted
48 minutes ago, sounak said:

Had Bajrang not recovered fully from his injury? His defensive style during the whole 3 bouts suggests so. I also read an article that suggests that he still might be carrying a slight pain in his knees.

Dont think its just the injury. We saw the same across other wrestlers too. Im inclined to think there was some strategy behind it, which has not worked

India National Thread
Posted
5 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Surprisingly too much defence and lack of attack in many cases

Yeah. Im inclined to think its a coaching strategy given the way it is being repeated by almost every wrestler.

Terrible approach. I hope a medal or 2 does not put a layer over these issues

India National Thread
Posted

5 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Wrestling :

Saara Hamdi of Tunisia beat Seema Bisla 3-1 in the 1/8 Final of Women's 50 Kg Freestyle wrestling

4 Indian women wrestlers went to Tokyo. Vinesh is the only one to win her 1st bout.

Sonam, Anshu, Seema Bisla have all lost their opening bouts.

Doesn't tell a good story

India National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, Dolby said:

I have high hopes from both Bajrang and Neeraj. Would be delighted if one of the dark horses does win a historic medal. 

Imagine, how great this Olympics would have been if we would have won couple of Shooting medals as well. 

yes, 8 seems reasonable.

For me, the magic number would have been 10.

We should have crossed 10. We've lost chances quite a few chances.

India National Thread
Posted

Just now, Madhusudhan said:

Our wrestlers playing so defensively and relying on slender 1 or 2 point lead is a big mistake.....

Deepak, Anshu and Sonam all lost the matches which they should have won by playing aggressive wrestling

I don't know whether it's fault of players or coaching staff.... even for that matter vinesh was also not aggressive enough.

I hope bajrang will take note of above for tomorrow his bouts.

Ur right abt this. It seems as if the entire Indian contingent is doing this, almost as if it is a strategy. Even the Men's boxing contingent used a similar approach. Something has gone wrong,either in the coaching strategies or we as a team have become more afraid of losing and so we are trying not to lose rather than fighting to win

India National Thread
Posted
2 minutes ago, sounak said:

That seems a bit jumping the gun to me. Although Deepak's bronze is very much assured. But by no means is Ravi's gold assured. Russians always find a way to beat you.

Let a brother dream:d Starved for an Indian gold

India National Thread
Posted
Just now, Madhusudhan said:

Vinesh has continued the trend of all indian world no.1's (Amit, Deepika, n no of shooters) losing in initial rounds....

I hope she gets into repechage rounds!!!

My point exactly. All of our pre-event favourites have not done well.. not adding Deepika there.

Vinesh looked slow, weak...all her attacking moves got countered rather easily. Maybe she had some physical difficulties like an injury or some illness

India National Thread
Posted
2 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

Vinesh lose in QF is one of the worst performance in this Olympics.

add Amit Panghal to the list. Vinesh's loss is a little hard to digest.

India National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, tirtha22 said:

Wrestling:

Vanesa of Belarus beat Vinesh Phogat on fall in the quarterfinals of Women's 53 kg freestyle wrestling

what a weird Olympics. Most of our favourites have not done well

India National Thread
Posted
2 hours ago, tirtha22 said:

Tentative schedule for India on August 4

Athletics 

Men's javelin throw Qualifications

Neeraj: 5:35 AM

Shivpal: 7 AM

Wrestling

1/8 Finals - (Around 8-9 am)

Ravi Kumar

Anshu Malik

Deepak Punia

Boxing

SF - Lovlina: 11 AM

Hockey

SF - IND W v ARG W:

3:30PM

Golf

Aditi, Diksha: 4 AM

Big day

India National Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, sounak said:

But @Sanjib I do not deny the fact that India should recognize that PCs are an important component of modern hockey and should have tried to have some penalty corners of their own when they went into the Belgian circle (because they did that quite a lot of times, 20 to be precise against 23).

but the question is, did the final 15 mins see some shoddy umpiring decisions. Especially the penalty shot that was awarded.

India National Thread
Posted

News of rift in the shooting contingent. Issues between Jaspal Rana and the shooters has gone out of hand. Rana apparently went too far and displayed Manu Bhaker's text message on his shirt in the shooting range.

Complete overhaul of coaching staff will happen. Support staff too could change.

NRAI President talking to the shooters.

India National Thread
Posted
8 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Just exploring an angle. Did the shooters face mental pressure with weight of expectations. We ardent Indian sport followers knew the likes of Bhaker, Valarivan, Chaudhary etc but now the average Indian knows about them.

These same shooters performed well in 2019 World Cups but only faltered in Croatia World Cup. 

If you look at the results, then the 'pressure' assessment is not incorrect.

Saurabh Chaudhary has a bad 10 minutes in the finals after the smashing performance in qualifiers.

Abhishek Verma's last 4 shots dropped him out of qualification.

Today, Manu falters in the 2nd series after topping the first series. There are other examples too...

India National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, Sanjib said:

I'm sure Rahi will not qualify too

Sadly, I cant argue about it, I wish I could.

Definitely there needs to be some tough calls. Every media channel, mainstream or otherwise, went about apologizing  for Manu's equipment malfunction. No one speaks of the fact that she had the lowest scores in the field of shooters and we dropped from 1st to out of contention. Not asking for blame-game but there needs to be some standard of accountability. When we lacked facilities, individual brilliance of 1-2 athletes brought us medals. Now that we have improved our facilities, this isnt the result that you want. Federations and ministry are also leaving behind their apathy.

With all of this, we have the ability to finish in the top 20 in the world. We can win bunch of medals in shooting, wrestling and boxing and bring out individual brilliant performers in other sports. 

Our progress is in the right direction but the results at the big stage are not.  Its just a matter of 1 performance, 1 motivating medal, 1 event, 1 session that can change the tide for us and we wont ever have to look back.

Tidbit: Did anyone observe the commentary at the opening ceremony when our contingent marched. It was all about how we have not reached our potential. that is what we were here to change and announce our arrival at the big stage. Sadly, we failed.

India National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Don't know when the next medal is going to come from. Perhaps we can trust on Aishwary Tomar, Manu Bhaker and Rahi Sarnobat. Also Amit Panghal, Simranjit Kaur didn't even start yet. Men's Hockey quarterfinal match will be barometer for medal potential as all teams in Group B seem equally good. And lastly hoping the wrestlers are in good shape

Maybe Women's 25m pistol

India National Thread
Posted

If you want to see India in top 20 of the medals tally, start calling a spade for what it is.

Our present batch of shooters are capable and the facilities they get puts them in a much privileged position that shooters from yesteryears did not get.

Lets put things into perspective and leave out all the excuse behind.

Calculate the conversion rate of entries into finals and finals into medals. 

We need to get ruthless, because if we dont, the under-performers tag will stay on and the albatross of the past will keep weighing us down.

Truth is, the shooters have let us down big time. Almost everyone has faltered in crucial moments.

the performances are terrible, we are capable of doing much more.