website statistics
1 hour ago, Quasit said:

Not their best day but also we shouldn't forget Shohei Ono didn't get onto the mat to have his fight.

Also some extra motivation for the French to make Riner win another gold after not winning the individual.

I think Riner must be a contender to light the flame in three years time. 

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies
Posted
51 minutes ago, Bohemia said:

Thank you Tokyo for hosting these Games despite the difficult circumstances :hatoff:

Can't wait for 2024, it will be the first time in so long that the events will all happen at a reasonable hour for me, finally! I hope I can go see some events, having the Olympics in France will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity. No idea which events to prioritize though (NOT breakdance).

For any events you fail or can’t afford  to get tickets for try the Paralympics. It was how I got to experience the main stadium during the London Olympics at an incredible cheap price for a night packed with finals and royal guests, 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The rumor was that the flag was supposed to be a real, and a huge stunt. I’m not sure what happened with that…I thought they did a test run last month. Clearly they had to pivot to the CGI version.

The BBC said weather conditions caused it to be cancelled but the world record will stand after a test event in June. 

Posted
35 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Pedro Ibarra (hockey) will carry :ARG

Everyone else, including volleyball team that played today, has already left Japan. They made this man stay for a few more days just for this.

Interesting that it seems that it was allowed to keep someone in the village many days past the 48 hour rule just for flag carrying duties but relatively few counties have done so - with many using only those who have completed in the last couple of days,

Posted
32 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I hope a country names 2 flagbearers to troll the IOC

:ROC should have picked the Artistic Swimming Duo then. Or :JPN with the Abe siblings. 

No idea who :GBR  will choose. A lot of people thought it be Tom Daley but he has already left Tokyo.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

There’s been one British doomsayer who’s gone very quiet the last couple of days despite talking non stop all week about how this would be a disaster for GB

I’m here, 

I am a natural pessimist - it gets me through life. 

18 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Also two golds in the 4x400 m relay. China should win gold in men's table tennis and men's 10 m diving? More interesting question for me is who will finish 7th to 10th. I think the Netherlands will finish ahead of Germany and if Italy continues fluking golds in athletics, they might also finish ahead of Germany (in terms of total medals they definitely could). France is a bit disappointing for me, i thought that they would be better just 3 years away from their home olympics.

France will end with less medals this games than Rio which is not the usual trajectory for the next host.

20 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Need to see the numbers from an Olympics not tainted by a pandemic.  Only so much we can figure from the numbers here

I’m not sure the pandemic can be blamed as the sport has been excellent and the lack of crowd not that noticeable.

Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Well, so much for diversity when two people holding one stick looked totally awkward & downright stupid in some cases ( poor :ALB ).

I’m not sure it’s because of that - but there will simply be more countries that only have athletes of one gender  left in the village by Sunday. Everyone who finished competing before Saturday will presumably be gone.

Maybe in 2024 they should have two flags per country - representing the new tradition of having two Olympic cauldrons. 

26 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Dang, the end of the Rowing looks like a fatal blow to :GBR's chances of winning the prestigious Fourth Place Counter / Wooden Medal championships.  On the bright side, the end of the Swimming could similarly strand :USA

:USA probably have more chances of fourth places in Athletics than :GBR

8 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

A lot of the time though, Auntie isn't even showing a live event on BBC One. So they have two streams, but only one (and sometimes none) of them are showing live sport. We missed a lot of the Athletics because they were showing BMX on Red Button (understandably because GB were about to win two medals) and... boxing highlights on BBC One.

I think with Athletics it was decided to catch up on them a bit later as that is a bit quicker.

31 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

My thoughts on the coverage (having mostly watched BBC) is:

Each day, they start the overnight coverage at about midnight with JJ Chalmers,

Then they move to "Olympic Breakfast" from 6-9am presented by Dan Walker and Sam Quek.

After that, they move to a show presented by Hazel Irvine, until 3pm when the live action has stopped and there is a review program presented by Jason Mohammed, and there are other highlight programs in the day.

The overnight programme is good, with Chalmers a very good presenter, who usually lets the experts in the sport do most of the talking, which is a good idea. Hazel Irvine is obviously someone that I don't have a bad word to say about either, who talks a bit more but is knowledgable enough to do so. The main problem for me is the "Olympic Breakfast" programme, which mainly focuses on medals Britain won overnight, and will only show live coverage if there is a British medal chance. The presenters are also too informal (this is a problem in general, but in the Breakfast programme particularly), forgetting the Olympics is elite sport and treating it like a sports day in primary school. Interviews with a British medallist's family are a common annoyance on this programme.

That said, the analysts and commentators have been in general very good. Lutalo Muhammad on Taekwondo was excellent, and Mark Foster is a great voice for swimming. In general, when people who know their sport are talking, it's good. When Dan Walker reveals that his kids have been "loving the gymnastics", less so.

The BBC has two streams, BBC One as I have described above, and the "Red Button", which is pure sport with no analysis, generally avoiding having the same thing on both. This means it's a lottery whether you can actually watch what you want to, because the BBC utterly refuse to show more than two events at once at all times.

A lot of people have complained about Eurosport, but I can only say I have had no problem with them. For me, they have been excellent when I've wanted to watch an archery or judo match that the BBC think isn't 'important enough' to show. Even when the BBC had 100% coverage, they wouldn't show every apparatus, or every judo mat - I'm pretty sure this was an oversight. So now we have complete, 100%, uninterrupted OBS coverage - excepting the Archery Ranking Round and Shooting qualifiers - complete with no ads, and no interviews with Adam Peaty's family. I should note that the channel choices seem deliberately bad to me as well, but I don't really mind paying for one month of Eurosport Player to watch the Olympic Games, considering that Sky Sports costs more than five times the same

The BBC do not have the rights to air more than two events at once - the deal their did with Discovery to keep rights for 2022 and 2024 (As discovery was talking about setting up their own freeview Channel) have prevented that.