website statistics
Tennis 2017 Discussion Thread
Posted
5 hours ago, dareza said:

Serbian team for match against France: Lajovic, Djere, Krajinovic and Zimonjic. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The only player that is truly missed is Novak and maybe Janko. Viktor wouldn't score a win against any of them, bar Nenad, of course.

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

Many people talk about this in Tennis community and even here that Nadal didn't face top 20 players , so he doesn't deserve to be mentioned for his Grand slam victory , so I just clarified that it isn't his fault. Shapovalov could be something really big in tennis , I cheer for this player since I saw him in Rogers cup and I hope he just can end Big four dominance in Tennis and doesn't take foot steps of other young players who upsetted us , kyrgios , Dimitrov , Raonic , Theim and Zverev look like they would be the same , it doesn't matter if u win 4 masters , people will remember u for a slam victory 

Rafa won this title fair and square, but he didn't beat anyone worth of mentioning, nor did he play an epic match or something. He was great indeed, but it's also true that his main rivals were either injured or out of form.

Zverev is 7 (seven) years younger than Raonic and 6 (six) years younger than Dimitrov. They're not in the same age group for sure. Both of them could only dream of having 2 Masters title at his age.

Also, are you aware that Andrey and Sascha are the same age? :d Take a look who's had more impact on Tour thus far. Yes, Sascha lost early in NYC, but he always struggles against Borna. Andrey is a very talented player, but as Wanderer said, his game is still raw and his mental strength is far from good. It will be a long journey for him before he reaches top 10 and rack up big titles. Thiem is also an established player, who's been doing a great job last two years. Kyrgios is a streaky player, which he admitted himself, and he'll be always like that, take a look at Wawrinka, for example - an older and maturer version of him.

Question for you: Who do you think is more respected in tennis circuits Čilić or Nalbandian? ;) GS are important, but not everything in tennis.

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

I mean this overall season , who really would think that Nadal would become world no.1 before that season starts , same for Federer ofc

Federer's comeback is way more impressive, in my opinion. He had a serious injury which he successfully overcame. Not to mention that he managed to improve his game at the age of 36. Of course he skipped the clay swing, but at his age that was the smartest thing he could do.

On the other hand, Nadal is still the same old Nadal - we've seen a lot of comebacks and injuries throughout his whole career, which is understable given how physically demanding his gamestyle is. :dunno: His body can't hold up for two complete seasons, it never could.

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
16 hours ago, rybak said:

And before Pliskova, Konta, Cibulkova and even Jankovic who was number 1 in ranking without winning GS! Why you didn't mention about them? :mumble:

Because they're not pushers :dunno: Not that Stephens is, but she played like one yesternight

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Not that Federer was less lucky... Murray had the toughest luck

Federer literally ruined Roddick's career :lol: If I'm not mistaken he won 4 titles against him.

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
17 hours ago, vlad said:

Yes yes yes, Tecau and Rojer are the new champions:champion: Tecau has now 3 grand slams...Halep still without title...and Romanians love her more than Tecau:smash:

Singles > Doubles. Period. I really enjoy watching doubles, but it will never get as much publicity as singles competition gets.

15 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Good news for Kiwi tennis - if there are no results in singles, than there are doubles :d Michael Venus is in mixed doubles final, paired with Hao-Ching Chan. Venus won French Open earlier this year partnering Ryan Harrison.

Both Angel and Michael are having an amazing year :)

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
9 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Well... these new "four" are yet "stars in the making", except Venus, ofc :d 

I guess you're all for Venus? :d

Of course I am :cheer: She deserves her Slam this year!

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
9 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Nine players ranked #1 in 25 years, 1975-2000. In last 17 years we had 15 them. And 5 them in the last decade only... And given the point difference between top 5 players, we'll see at least one more new name until the end of the year lol

And if there wasn't Serena to lock 2013-2016, damn, it would have been even more crazy :d

It's such a shame that players like Sabatini, Novotna and Mandlikova never made to the top spot. Also, I think both Zvonareva and Kvitova deserved to be #1's as well. Both of them had better results than Pliskova and Muguruza in 2010 and 2011 resprectively.

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
5 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Federer is doing the best he can to lose today , but all credit to the big man Delpo :bowdown:

IKR? Awful match for both players. Hopefully he won't just bend over to Nadal now...

Tennis US Open 2017
Posted
28 minutes ago, crovitlaci said:

I don't see Anderson or Carreno Busta having much stronger opponents, plus they will play one versus another in GS semifinal. :d

At least Anderson defeated one seeded player :d