website statistics

The 800m freestyle is like having the 3000m event in athletics so if there has to be cuts, it will likely be the first to go. In terms of competitiveness (as in the number of nations competing) the 400m IM is the least competitive individual event and could also be at risk. The 4x200m relay is also quite uncompetitive and may be removed. At best FINA could combine it to make it a mixed relay (and unlike athletics have a set order for male/female athletes)

As for the medley relay, FINA needs to decide whether to have separate genders or a mixed event. Personally, there's enough competition to have it split, but you can't have both.

19 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Any reasons why?

Not sure, at the Polish Open Polanska and Kossakowska are listed as qualifying for the relays. Maybe one of them got injured?

Poland also doesn't have a lot of individual qualifiers and since "relay only" athletes must have reached the OST in the event, maybe Poland was unable to make a proper team. Like they may have to use Laura Bernat as one of the 4x200m free members...

Took a quick look at all the relay qualifying countries

Finland still needs to qualify one woman (either through OQT or OST and selected) in order to keep their medley relay. They have only qualified a single woman and can only select 2 relay only athletes so they need another person.

1 hour ago, DaniSRB said:

Do you know how many competitions are being held till deadline? I am interested in men's 4×100m free

Meets still ongoing until May 31st

South Africa Grand Prix No. 4 ( :RSA Durban)

Selectivo Juegos Olimpicos Tokyo 2020 ( :PER Lima)

Grand Prix Internacional SYC  ( :PAR Asuncion)

Alberta HP Test Event  ( :CAN Calgary)

Campeonato Nacional por Categorias 2021 ( :VEN Caracas)

Division 1 LC Competition Part 2 ( :HKG Hong Kong)

Chinese National Summer Championships - 50m ( :CHN Xian) (Only the first day so I don't know if any relays will be held)

Lithuanian National Championships - 50m ( :LTU Klaipeda)

Turkcell Turkish Youth Junior and Open Winter Nationals ( :TUR Edirne)

Grand Prix Burgas ( :BUL Burgas)

Prague 2021 ( :CZE Prague)

Akropolis Swimming Grand Prix ( :GRE Athens)

13th ISM Banja Luka Open ( :BIH Banja Luka)

Ekipno Prvenstvo Hrvatske ( :CRO Zagreb) 

38th Meeting International de Natation de Monte Carlo 2021 ( :MON Monaco)

Hamilton Qualification Meet ( :NZL Hamilton)

2 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Akropolis meeting in Athens

Here is a video: 

And an article: http://sportsfeed.gr/tromerh-4x100m-meikti-agkalia-me-thn-olympiakh-prokrish/

Sorry the article is only in Greek. It also says that the qualification period ends in two days (for the relays I guess). Is that true? I never heard this before.

Correct, the qualification period for the relay events end on May 31st.

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

Probably they will pick who has the standard.

It makes sense in events where only 1 or 2 athletes reached the OQT standard, but it get tricky in events with more athletes. Especially when you consider that most of those OQT standards were done back in 2019. Then you have the whole choosing athletes for the relays.

23 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

No swimming competition is scheduled in the Polish Swimming Association's calendar for 2020 in those days - there is one of the events from Polish Grand Prix cycle on 25-26, but it has to do with the Olympics as the others - you can get the minimum also there. But knowing how our federation is, it means nothing - they could have simply not update the calendar or the rules or anything else.

FINA has the Polish Championship to be held in Lodz scheduled for those days.

29 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's rather pretentious to call it "Olympic trials" for some of these nations. :p

Yeah places like Ireland and Singapore had three athletes in 2016.

A quick look at the 2016 Olympics, the largest teams not to have trials are the Czech Republic, Finland, Israel and South Korea.

Last month, SwimSwam put together a list of Olympic trials that will be held. Note that this may not be the only way an athlete from those nations can qualify, some selection policies allow for athletes which performed well at certain other meets (like the World Championships) to be selected, but the conclusion of these events should give us most of the swimming team. Here is the calendar of events (yes Netherlands has two events).

:UKR Ukraine - 10-13 March

:ITA Italy - 17-21 March

:LTU Lithuania - 19-21 March

:HUN Hungary - 24-28 March

:DEN Denmark - 28 March - 1 April

:NZL New Zealand - 31 March - 4 April

:CHN China - 28 March - 5 April

:CAN Canada - 30 March - 5 April

:IRL Ireland - 1-5 April

:SUI Switzerland - 2-5 April

:NED Netherlands - 3-5 April

:JPN Japan - 1-8 April

:ESP Spain - 4-8 April

:RUS Russia - 3-9 April

:RSA South Africa - 4-9 April

:NED Netherlands - 9-12 April

:HKG Hong Kong - 11-12 April

:FRA France - 14-19 April

:GBR Great Britain - 14-19 April

:BRA Brazil - 20-25 April

:GER Germany - 30 April - May 3

:BEL Belgium - 21-23 May

:POL Poland - 20-24 May

:BLR Belarus - 22-24 May

:GRE Greece - 28-31 May

:AUS Australia - 14-19 June

:SGP Singapore - 24-27 June

:USA United States - 21-28 June

:SWE Sweden - 26-30 June

37 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Overall i would consider most of the predictions pretty good, but i am not sure about the following predictions for overall medals:

Right now the assumption is the top two athletes of each nation will compete in all events they are eligible for. For athletes like Sjostrom or Hosszu the events they are listed may not match the events they will compete in. Once we know for sure I'll remove them from those events. For Sweden they also have chances at winning medals in the 4x100m free and medley relays which slightly boosts their chances. Overall, the over/underperformance is pretty much due to how well a nation performed in 2019, it doesn't take into account injuries.

43 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

In the end it is still a long time until the olympics and i am sure a lot of things will change until then, so probably it is still too early for predictions like that to be taken too seriously, although of course it will be interesting to compare the actual medal table to your predictions. When/how often (if at all) will you update your predictions?

The main focus is to get all the sports up, but there will be at least one more update closer to the games.