website statistics
17 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Isn't he still banned ?

A quick Google search says he was banned for 4 years and 3 months from February 28th, 2020, so assuming his ban ends at the end of May of this year. The qualification period runs until June 23rd so theoretically he could qualify but it is beyond unlikely to be honest.

Edited by OlympicIRL

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The wording makes no sense since as you said, the second statement means athletes under the age of 30 would be allowed to compete in more than 2 Olympics, which is obviously not the intention by World Aquatics or else they wouldn't have written the first statement. It's almost a paradox.

I think they meant "and" instead of "or"

Yes, an "AND" statement would make much more sense. In that case it would be like my 2) scenario in my earlier post. No athletes who have already participated in 2 Olympics can claim a universality quota. And also those over the age of 30 are likewise not eligible. So for now without clarification it's not certain what way to interpret this :mumble:

Edited by OlympicIRL

7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The wording is a bit awkward.

It's written that athletes under the age of 30 can only compete in two Olympics through universality. It's then implied that over 30 year old athletes can compete in more Olympics.

It's a dumb rule in my opinion and hurts a small handful of athletes in their mid to late 20s who may be excluded during what may have been their peak Olympics

World Aquatics seems to imply the opposite in their website so it almost seems like they can compete in more than 2 Olympics if they are under the age of 30.

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 21.31.33.png

Edited by OlympicIRL

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The wording is a bit awkward.

It's written that athletes under the age of 30 can only compete in two Olympics through universality. It's then implied that over 30 year old athletes can compete in more Olympics.

It's a dumb rule in my opinion and hurts a small handful of athletes in their mid to late 20s who may be excluded during what may have been their peak Olympics

Never ceases to amaze me how every Olympics you get these badly-worded qualification documents. It's really not that hard to specify the rules clearly, at least employ someone who can do a better job :d

14 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Now that both the 2023 and 2024 World Championships are over, it's a good time to look at which countries are eligible for universalities. Looking at the entry lists for both championships, we can compile a rough list of which countries are eligible.

The following NOC's are eligible for both a male and female universality quota (123 NOC's, 246 athletes):

So as of now, we are looking at 282 universality athletes from 159 NOC's

There is also the following rule concerning athletes entering through a Universality place:

"An athlete entering through Universality will be limited to a maximum of up to two Olympic Games in his/her career provided the athlete is not older than the age of thirty (30) as of 31st December 2024".

The wording is a bit unclear, does it mean that.....

1) an athlete entering via Universality can participate in more than 2 Olympic Games so long as they are not older than 30 years old at 31st December 2024?

2) Or does it mean that no athletes over 30 years of age can claim a universality quota AND no athlete can claim a universality quota if they have already participated at 2 Olympic Games?

Does anyone know how to interpret this rule?

If it's 2) then the following athletes/nations are ineligible for a universality quota:

:ALG Amel Melih (W)

:CIV Talita Te Flan (W)

:EGY Farida Osman (W)

:LES Refiloe Chopho (W)

:MAS Jinq En Phee (W)

:QAT Nada Arakji (W)

:SKN JL Harding-Marlin (W)

:TTO Cherelle Thompson (W)

6 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

14:34.07 for :IRL Wiffen. PB for him to win gold. Paris will be fun

I've been daring to believe Wiffen could do something big in Paris for a couple of years now but this is really beyond my wildest dreams. Hopefully he can replicate his performances here in Paris but I imagine the opposition will be even stiffer there. Still though, going to celebrate this remarkable achievement for what it is.... 2 gold medals is insane :bounce:

Edited by OlympicIRL

Swimming LEN Short Course European Championships 2023
Posted (edited)

:IRL Daniel Wiffen just smashed the oldest world record in the books (SC or LC) winning gold in the men’s 800m freestyle :bowdown:

An impressive triple gold for Wiffen here (400/800/1500m free) and wonderful to see his twin Nathan join him in the finals too  :) 

Edited by OlympicIRL

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I did a nations ranking (only olympic events) according to the FINA scoring system* (can't guarantee that everything is correct):

:USA 925

:AUS 749

:CHN 499

:GBR 376

:CAN 356

:JPN 309

:FRA 307

:ITA 249

:NED 237

:GER 180

:HUN 171

:BRA 141

:SWE 125

:KOR 90

:SUI 67

:ESP & :NZL 63

:IRL 53

:TUN 52

:POL 49

:ISR 46

:RSA 42

:DEN 40

:LTU 39

:HKG 30

:GRE 28

:UKR 27

:ROU 26

:CAY 23

:AUT & :BIH 21

:EGY 18

:BEL & :POR 15

:ISL 14

:EST 13

:TUR 12

:CZE 11

:TPE 10

:BUL 8

:CHI & :FIN & :VEN 7

:ARG 6

:MEX 5

:KGZ 4

:KAZ & :SGP & :SLO & :SRB 3

:CRO & :GUA 2

:TTO 1

* Scoring for individual events: 18-16-15-14-13-12-11-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Scoring for relays: 36-32-30-28-26-24-22-20

There will be a full programme swim-off between :ESP and :NZL for the 16th place to see who advances to the semis. 

42 minutes ago, Josh said:

McSharry realistically had no chance at the podium anyways, she did well to achieve a 5th place finish. King, Meilutyte, Jacoby, and Schoenmaker were always going to be 1-2-3-4 (In some order). 

While I agree it was unlikely she going to be on the podium and 5th place is actually a great result, I wouldn’t say based on her semi final performance she had no chance. But again 5th is actually a great result for her and improves on her 8th place in Tokyo.

Exciting for Irish swimming to finally have contenders on the world stage.

Mona McSharry goes in the women’s 100m breaststroke final later today as the 4th fastest qualifier. A medal may just be out of reach but she is in the hunt.

Daniel Wiffen into the men’s 800m final as 4th fastest in a new Irish record. His best event is still to come as well, the 1500m freestyle.

Not to mention Ellen Walshe placing 9th overall in the women’s 200m IM and just missing the final but setting a new Irish record in the process.

Dare we hope for a medal at these championships? Here’s hoping!