website statistics
1 hour ago, phelps said:

Women's Individual Sabre Grand Prix (:TUN Tunis)

Gold: :ESP Lucia Martin-Portugues

Silver: :TUR Nisanur Erbil

Bronze: :KOR Choi Sebin & :ITA Chiara Mormile

Semifinals

Martin-Portugues b. Mormile 15-6

Erbil b. Choi 15-14

Final

Martin-Portugues b. Erbil 15-5

Full Ranking & Results

https://fie.org/competitions/2024/1431?tab=results

Georgiadou 6th, Gkountoura 33rd. Georgiadou probably needed to take advantage of Gkountoura's result and do a little better than 6th to really close the gap between her and Gkountoura for the Greek quota spot.

It must be so awkward for them to be competing against each other for this quota, especially because they are good friends...

Fencing FIE World Cup 2023 - 2024
Posted

It seems like Georgiadou and Gkountoura always find themselves on the podium. It's really a shame that only one will be able to go to the Olympics.

I know I am biased but FIE should really change the Olympic qualification procedures. So unfair that Greece with two fencers in the top 4 will only be able to send one fencer to the Games but other countries will get 3 spots...

Fencing FIE World Championships 2023
Posted
On 7/27/2023 at 12:00 PM, Vektor said:

This situation with Greece should inspire the people in charge to make new qualification rules for fencing. It makes no sense whatsoever that we won't have one of the top fencers in the world in Paris just because Greece doesn't have a good enough third fencer. It's cruel, this isn't judo or wrestling where every NOC only gets one place. 

I agree, it's really such a shame! We have two of the current top 4 in the FIE world rankings in the women's sabre.

On 7/27/2023 at 2:04 PM, Mateus Nagime said:

I don't think a rule should be changed because of an exception.

Having said that I could see a place for a country with 1 individual quota on the rankings trying a 2nd quota on the OQT.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that a rule was changed because of us, it happened in women's water polo when our girls were 2011 world champions and 2012 European silver medalists but still did not manage to qualify for London 2012. Now, the world champion is always automatically qualified for the Olympics ;)

On 7/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, phelps said:

no, they don't have a 3rd good fencer, unfortunately

even with 2 among the best (and even in a "poor" weapon like women's sabre), it's impossible to make the top 8 on regular basis with a 3rd member like Greece's 3rd

It's very unfortunate that Vougiouka retired after Rio 2016, she was only 30 yo which in this sport is not too old. She was ranked in the top 5 in this weapon and with her on the team, I think she would give a big boost to our team, and I'm surprised there wasn't more of a push to bring her back to the sport after Georgiadou didn't get the chance to qualify for Tokyo due to this rule.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:04 AM, Illya said:

Why I'm not gaggin' why our girls lost to Greece in such way? It's obvious, we can win France, Hungary, Italy, USA, but Greece is our biggest rival(

Our two best fencers are ranked in the top 4 of the world

Fencing FIE World Cup 2022 - 2023
Posted

I just hope that they can keep this up once the ranking points start counting for OG qualification. Georgiadou has a real shot at a medal in Paris, which is crazy because she was a nobody until the last 1.5 years or so, now she is a top fencer in her 30s!

Of course the other alternative is to qualify in the team event, which will be difficult but we keep improving so you never know.

Fencing FIE World Cup 2022 - 2023
Posted

We got 9th place in the women's sabre team. I think we were unlucky to have to play South Korea so early, as we beat two top 10 opponents (USA and Poland). Still, we are slowly moving up the rankings and I believe soon we will be in the top 10 where we belong.

I must say it is a shame that we probably will only have one woman at the Olympics when we have two ranked in the top 6 in this discipline, really I wish they would both get a chance but it will be very hard to make it in the team event. However, I think for Los Angeles 2028 we will have a better chance as we'll have more time to get a good third fencer.

12 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

greece and spain are gaining momentum in women's saber, maybe a team in paris 2024

Yes, I never expected this after Vougiouka retired in 2016! She is still only 36, I really wish she would come back to help us qualify for Paris 2024. She was ranked number 4. I don't know if she can get that high again but with proper training there is no reason why she can't be top 50, top 30....

After Georgiadou and Gkountoura, our third fencer in women's sabre is ranked 168...

12 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Georgiadou continues her incredible improvement, wow! At 31 years old she is having the best season of her career. She never made the top 20 in her career, and now this year she is already number 4 (and that's not including her bronze medal here).

Georgiadou is number 3 in the new rankings, and Gkountoura is number 6 :clap:

Georgiadou continues her incredible improvement, wow! At 31 years old she is having the best season of her career. She never made the top 20 in her career, and now this year she is already number 4 (and that's not including her bronze medal here).

Also she becomes the second Greek fencer to win a World Championships medal, after Theodora Gkountoura (who got 5th place here) also did so in the same event at the last World Championships, where she became the first.

It's pretty cool to see us doing well in the women's sabre. I just wish the Olympic qualification system was more favourable, but who knows, maybe we can keep improving and qualify in the team event?!

Fencing FIE World Cup 2021 - 2022
Posted

Greece went up from 39 to 25 in the team rankings (women's sabre). I think we could make the top 10/12 or at least top 15 within the next year based on our recent results (13th and 9th). We were very close to beating Poland. Actually our third fencer (Mpenou) did far better than expected. Georgiadou and Gkountoura lost us some points.

Georgiadou is now 5th in the rankings :yikes:

It's incredible how much she improved in the last year since she was denied the chance to qualify for Tokyo

Gkountoura is also still top 10, it's great to have two Greeks in the top 10. I didn't think it was possible after Vougiouka retired in 2016 that any other Greek fencer would make the top 5/top 10 for many years. It's a shame that only one of them will be able to make it to Paris 2024 with this current qualification system. Though we did get 9th in the team event here which is a big improvement from the past.

Another incredible result for :GRE Despina Georgiadou in the World Cup in Tunisia. She beat world number one Brunet 15-9 in the semifinals!

Unfortunately she just lost 15-13 in the final to Misaki Emura from Japan, who beat the other Greek girl Theodora Gkountoura 15-14 in the round of 16.

Posted
2 hours ago, Wumo said:

2021/2022 Fencing World Cup

Women's Team Sabre (:BUL Plovdiv)

Gold: :FRA France

Silver: :AZE Azerbaijan

Bronze: :ITA Italy

Semifinals

Azerbaijan b. Bulgaria 45-32

France b. Italy 45-23

Bronze Medal Match

Italy b. Bulgaria 45-29

Gold Medal Match

France b. Azerbaijan 45-39

Full Ranking & Results

https://fie.org/competitions/2022/826

How many of the fencers are actually from Azerbaijan?

Posted
On 1/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, maestro said:

She will get 26 points, that provisionally bring her to 10th. @phelps said 32 points, but I think these are for the winner. Yoon will also get some points for her result, which will probably be enough to keep Gkountoura behind her. Conclusion is, Gkountoura will be ranked 11th. It will be confirmed soon, anyway.  

Yes, she is 11th and Georgiadou is 15th! It's too bad they both can't make it to the Olympics with this current qualification format. I've said this before but I really wish Vougiouka would come out of retirement for Paris, she is younger than Velikaya and Zagunis who are both still top 10. We'd have a real shot at qualifying in the team event if she can get back into good shape.

Our next best sabre fencer is Marina Paizi who is ranked 165...

Posted
47 minutes ago, maestro said:

She will get 26 points, that provisionally bring her to 10th. @phelps said 32 points, but I think these are for the winner. Yoon will also get some points for her result, which will probably be enough to keep Gkountoura behind her. Conclusion is, Gkountoura will be ranked 11th. It will be confirmed soon, anyway.  

Thank you. I remember after Orleans, Greek sports sites were reporting what rankings Gkountoura and Georgiadou would move up to, but I didn't see anything this time around.

Is there a way to check old rankings? I am curious as to what Gkountoura's best ranking was. I think she was in the top 10 at some point, maybe she was 8th or 9th? It looks like the FIE site only shows your ranking at the end of the year.

Also, what about Vougiouka? She was 4th or 5th I believe? At Gkountoura's age I think she has a chance to become the highest ranked Greek fencer ever.

Posted
33 minutes ago, phelps said:

2021/2022 Fencing World Cup

Women's Individual Sabre (:GEO Tbilisi)

Gold: :FRA Caroline Queroli

Silver: :GRE Theodora Gkountoura

Bronze: :ITA Rossella Gregorio & :RUS Yana Egorian

Semifinals

Queroli b. Gregorio 15-14

Gkountoura b. Egorian 15-14

Final

Queroli b. Gkountoura 15-12

Full Ranking & Results

https://www.engarde-service.com/?Organisme=hunfencing&Event=2022_01_14-17_tbiliszi&Compe=sws-in&lang=fr&large=E

Gkountoura is currently ranked 12th, so now how much will she go up after this result?