website statistics
Just now, TeamGB said:

Clearly what he is trying to say is that they should never compete again.

And how is going to make his point when they inevitably not banned. Boycott or protests - with China pulling the race card at all opportunities.

Just now, TeamGB said:

No he’s not, all he did was post about the 400m free from 2015 and how Sun shouls have lost his medals. Considering your track record of swimming predictions I’m going to politely ignore your opinion.

He has on Twitter. 

‘UK Sport, the government agency that provides funding for the British Olympic and Paralympic programme, will have to cut 25 per cent of staff jobs and 50 per cent of its directors by July.‘

Medal targets are going to be very important as clearly funding is becoming a big issue across UK Sport. 

3 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Do you have any actual evidence to back that up, or are you just guessing?

Because unless Freya chooses not to go or her illness gets worse again, I would be stunned if GB don't take her. Even if just as relay cover.

We saw in London that Freya at 90% (her description) is still good enough to be in the 4x100m free team. With the 4x200m and mixed medley as well, it would be crazy to not take her.

It would be utterly self defeating to not select her.

Just her social media this weekend has been a little downbeat which is making me fear she hasn’t been selected. They were told last week ready for Tuesday’s announcement. 

Qualification to Paris 2024
Posted (edited)

I think getting 51 medals - as many medals as Beijing, is the minimum needed to avoid issues about the whole idea of lottery funding coming under scrutiny. And that’s a very tough target.  Anything under 40-45 medals and even successful sports will be getting cut. 

My guess is about 42-47 medals. 

Edited by Orangehair43

Team GB medal hopes - Swimming
Posted (edited)

The 4 x 100 is the first day. Not the best look to skip a relay on the first day due to an artificial quota particularly as the two solo finals that day won’t have any British entrants in the event nor one of the two evening semis. 

Edited by Orangehair43

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TeamGB said:

I hope, they change the team limit. They changed the selection criteria for last years worlds during the national champs so you never know.

In terms of the team, this is who I would predict to make it based on current form.

Men's 50m Freestyle - (21.88 QT) - Ben Proud, Lewis Burras

Men's 100m Freestyle - (48.06 QT) - Matt Richards, Lewis Burras

Men's 200m Freestyle - (1:45.96 QT) - Tom Dean, Matt Richards

Men's 400m Freestyle - (3:45.43 QT) - None

Men's 800m Freestyle - (7:47.81 QT) - Dan Jervis

Men's 1500m Freestyle - (14:54.29 QT) - Dan Jervis

Men's 100m Backstroke - (53.68 QT) - Oliver Morgan, Luke Greenbank

Men's 200m Backstroke - (1:57.28 QT) - Luke Greenbank, Oliver Morgan

Men's 100m Breaststroke - (59.45 QT) - Adam Peaty, James Wilby

Men's 200m Breaststroke - (2:08.29 QT) - James Wilby

Men's 100m Butterfly - (51.56 QT) - James Guy, Jacob Peters

Men's 200m Butterfly - (1:54.97 QT) - James Guy??

Men's 200m IM - (1:57.49 QT) - Duncan Scott, Tom Dean

Men's 400m IM - (4:11.90 QT) - Max Litchfield

Men's 4x100m Freestyle - (3:13.04 QT) - Tom Dean, Duncan Scott, Matt Richards, Lewis Burras, Jacob Whittle

Men's 4x200m Freestyle - (7:07.40 QT) - Tom Dean, Duncan Scott, Matt Richards, James Guy, Joe Litchfield

Men's 4x100m Medley - (3:33.15 QT) - Oliver Morgan, Adam Peaty, James Guy, Matt Richards.

Women's 50m Freestyle - (24.65 QT) - Anna Hopkin

Women's 100m Freestyle - (53.55 QT) - Anna Hopkin, Freya Anderson

Women's 200m Freestyle - (1:56.85 QT) - Freya Anderson, Freya Colbert

Women's 400m Freestyle - (4.04.98 QT) - None

Women's 800m Freestyle - (8:25.84 QT) - Amelie Blocksidge??

Women's 1500m Freestyle - (16:01.95 QT) - Amelie Blocksidge, Fleur Lewis??

Women's 100m Backstroke - (59.89 QT) - Medi Harris, Lauren Cox

Women's 200m Backstroke - (2:08.91 QT) - Katie Shanahan, Honey Osrin

Women's 100m Breaststroke - (1:06.31 QT) - Angharad Evans, Kara Hanlon??

Women's 200m Breaststroke - (2:23.04 QT) - Angharad Evans??

Women's 100m Butterfly - (57.17 QT) - None (This time is quicker than the national record):facepalm:

Women's 200m Butterfly - (2:07.96 QT) - Laura Stephens, Emily Large

Women's 200m IM - (2:10.62 QT) - Abbie Wood, Katie Shanahan

Women's 400m IM - (4:37.84 QT) - Freya Colbert, Katie Shanahan

Women's 4x100m Freestyle (3:36.40 QT) - Anna Hopkin, Freya Anderson, Lucy Hope, Abbie Wood, Evelyn Davies???

Women's 4x200m Freestyle (7:51.89 QT) - Freya Anderson, Freya Colbert, Abbie Wood, Lucy Hope, Medi Harris

Women's 4x100m Medley (3:56.89 QT) - Medi Harris, Angharad Evans, Harriet Jones, Anna Hopkin

Mixed 4x100m Medley (3:44.10 QT) - Medi Harris, Adam Peaty, James Guy, Anna Hopkin

Total - 14 Male + 17 Female (31)

Obviously some of these may be a stretch, but similarly there could be others who I have missed out, but I would expect the team to be around this number, maybe slightly higher depending on relay squads.

Can they fit enough for all the relays within 30? I can see one of the women medley relay getting the boot if they need to cut one or two people.

Edited by Orangehair43

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I am sorry but you really do talk some nonsense - I'm not sure if you genuinely believe half the stuff that you write or whether you do it trying to get a rise out of someone. 

The IOC loves control and the governing bodies love control. Athletics is clearly heading towards an entirely world ranking based system and swimming will follow. 

Edited by Orangehair43

11 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

But the actual cost of sending the team to Paris doesn't fall on British Swimming - as far as I am aware, the bill is picked up by the BOA so cost shouldn't be a factor. 

It looks like British Swimming have always had a team limit in their selection policy - I thought it had been reduced to 30 for this cycle but it's been set at 30 for Rio and Tokyo so I can't even blame it on Buckner. 

Hopefully as you say, if more than 30 athletes are able to get the individual qualifying standards GB Swimming will have the sense to flex their criteria - they did show they were willing/able to be flexible at last year's trials when they realised they had completely balls'd up their selection for Fukuoka.

Wiki says the limit was actually 35 for Tokyo. The squad was 30 in Tokyo and they skipped one relay when they still seem to be aiming to accept all the relays this time around. , 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:11 AM, Cinnamon Bun said:

She may have achieved the OQT but she's still has to knock 3 tenths off to achieve the British Swimming standard. But if she continues in the same vein as she did at BUCS, where she knocked 6 tenths off her PB, she should have no problem achieving it. 

I suspect come Brisbane in 2023 that policy is gone - it’s clear the direction of travel is for NOC’s and domestic governing bodies to lose selection power and things to be uniform across the world.