website statistics
10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

:IRC participation question will definitely be the forefront of LA28 headlines if lacrosse is approved by the IOC Session.

They are really pushing their luck... First, introducing a sport (or sports) that is (are) nowhere near deserving to be at the olympics for apparently local political reasons, then letting the athletes cap goes wild without concerns for future hosts and now asking for breaking the nation-states basis of participation. 

God, I wish IOC tells them to fuck off with their silly ideas (not going to happen obv).

Edited by De_Gambassi

43 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Rugby League nine's wouldn't bother me, despite it being unlikely Ireland would get in. The Rugby League World Cup is a niche event, but the international game exists. The better comparison would be Flag AFL, or Dublin hosting a game and reinstruding Gaelic football 9's or Hurling. Actually, lacrosse, hurling...

You'd love hurling though. Only sport in the world actively designed for psycopathy.

AFL doesn't even have a proper World Cup. It's a world festival or something without an australien team.

All these sports were and would be perfectly fine as demo sports as we used to have. 

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Local politics coming into play is sort of an inevitable consequence of allowing the host organizer to pick some additional sports. Especially when presumably there was some quid pro quo wrt adding cricket, a sport that was obviously not *really* picked by the LA organizers.

I don't see local politics in play with Tokyo and Paris choices. Not to the same degree anyway.

Everyone were ok with Tokyo additional sport, they were borderline olympic sports that made sense in a japanese context. Since then, it has been a mess. I guess RL nine is a lock for 2032 :facepalm:

6 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The key is Lacrosse is an indigenous sport in the US, and North America - in a way even flag football and basketball are not. There are major political benefits, potentially, to including a sport like that. 

That's local politics, which should not be IOC concerns. If IOC validates such a weak international sport, that would be a travesty of the olympic universal ideals.

I had a look at some Lacrosse numbers. Australia is by large the 3rd biggest Lacrosse country in the world with less than 5.000 registered players. I'd be surprised if there are more than 10.000 players worldwide besides the US and Canada. What an amazing deserving olympic sport.

2 hours ago, El Analyzer said:

I have some thoughts but could be totally wrong:

• Team sports (which is my favourite sports outside the Olympics) are the most boring sports in the program
  • Spending 90 min watching two teams trying to finish a game 0/0 or watching 7 sports in the same duration (I’d go for the latter)
  • Why IOC not adding to each program a sport which could add to the medal tally of the small nations, It would be more fair imho to get (for example)  :GUI :ALB :ESA :BAN on the medal table 
  • Karate is a repeat of similar Martial arts Olympic sports, would it be more fair to have 2 out of karate, Taekwondo and Judo each Olympics and keep rotating? Kickboxing can be added too
  • Similar for squash why not rotating with badminton and table tennis
  • Breaking is not a sport with all respect, otherwise Salsa and Tango should be included
  • Boxing, weightlifting and modern pentathlon are part of Olympic heritage, can’t believe they could be excluded (but each of them needs to work on some internal issues)
  • Golf at Olympics, I would be surprised to see between each 100 persons one is watching it at Olympics!

We are not talking about the CWGs, these sports are built around the Olympics, you simply can't have any of them on a rotation basis. And really, Judo on rotation ?

The issue with martial arts is quite simple anyway, we have the wrong one :rolleyes: Taekwondo should never have been an olympic sport to begin with. Without TWD, Karate would have entered the program at some point in the 90's and absolute no one would have asked for the introduction of TWD after.

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme
Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

LA 2028 organisers (LA28) are understood to be willing to accommodate cricket in return for “flag football” — a non-contact version of American football where players are tackled by having Velcro tags removed — being included as well.

What a load of BS... Originally, the additional sports - who were part of the Agenda 2020 program whose sole purpose was to cut costs for the hosts - were a neat idea on paper. They were supposedly be a net-postive for the host using local sports popularity to ease the pain of hosting. Now LA, will have to build a freaking dam cricket stadium somewhere.

It was never reported, but it's also very easy to assume Breaking entry for 2024 was IOC Bach's idea and only his.

Basically, these additional sports have been turn into a way of expanding the olympic program and adding new sports, potentially huge cash makers for the organisation, without the political cost of dropping other established olympic sports.

Edited by De_Gambassi

47 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

Exactly, athletes quotas is the main concern, IOC wants to cap the entries but keeping unversality.

my personal feeling that IOC doesn't care so much, revenue is important of course but just feeling bad for athletes in other sports who deserve to be olympians 

And also athletes in established olympic disciplines who are cut because of the quotas limitation (I'm strongly thinking about canoeing slalom here)

Honestly, there is little you can do with the current cap of 10,500 athletes and the olympic program as it is. You can tweek it a bit, but really, just a bit.

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

If cricket and baseball rotated beginning LA 28 baseball, Brisbane 32 Cricket, India might be able to line up a 2040 Games bid, knowing they'll have cricket, and the humongous money making crowds such a tournament would bring.

So basically a forever rotation between North America / Japan and former british colonies. That's a fantastic idea.

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, you need a dedicated big sized stadium (expensive, even if it normally have small stands) and it's always about the same 12 Nations qualifying in both men and women's tournaments (and not all of them are truly competitive at the highest level)

in terms of competitivity it's more or less like Waterpolo...too little interest outside the usual 4/5 places

p.s. I like FH and WP and I don't want them to be thrown out of the Olympic schedule, but I understand if someone shuold make it a case 

international federations should try and find the way to develop those sports in a lot more places

WP is safe because it's part of FINA. If it had it's own federation (like some WP enthousiasts wish for), it would be the one to go.

5 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I can understand if Boxing or Weightlifting would be cut. Even MP I can understand why they would, but if they do, it's the end for MP as a whole. Cutting them for team sports doesn't seem too great for me. Cricket would really just be for the Indian market. Baseball has been tried over and over and it is... well... not great for the games.

I'd rather try Cricket over having Baseball though. Don't see them cutting Rugby Sevens btw, that seems highly unlikely to me. Even here I feel like there are quite some people who follow the Sevens tourney above everything else. If they need to cut a team sport, it would be Field Hockey, but the western European countries dominating that (GB, Germany) sure won't like that.

I feel for cutting sports there must be a pretty clear reason.

Indeed. People have forgoten that, but when Wrestling was cut, the second sport following whith the most votes to be excluded was Field Hockey.

24 minutes ago, Vektor said:

All these new sports are being considered, while they want to drop legacy sports... Weightlifting is one of the most iconic Olympic sports, there must be a solution to save it. Like, I would even take the option to get rid of the weight classes and have only one men and one women competition (essentially only the highest weight class) instead of completely removing from the program. This isn't a sport that can exist outside of the Olympics, unlike boxing. Same for modern pentathlon. IOC must realize that they will literally kill MP if it's out of the program. There goes a sport with 100 years of history. 

There must be other solutions. Like only including new sports that will justify an increase in the budget. If it's such a net positive decision to include cricket, just increase the number of the athlete quotas. Those Indian broadcasting rights can pay for the increase in the budget.

The only solutions that exist are radicals : e.g. splitting the summer OG, going for a more lose organisation like the European Championships, this kind of things.

7 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Multiple media outlets in UK reporting that T20 cricket is "very likely" to feature on the 2028 Olympic programme. With the format being a pool of 5 teams for both men and women. 

Qualification would be based on world rankings so would include :IND:NZL:PAK:RSA and :GBR for men and :IND:NZL:AUS:RSA and :GBR for women (always assuming Scottish cricket don't raise any stupid objections) If they reserve spot for :USA as home nation, then :RSA would lose out in both cases.

It looks like this is purely being driven by money - if cricket is included, the value of broadcast rights in India could increase to 10 times their current value - but it would eat up about 110 athlete quotas.

Given it has to be a pretty safe bet that baseball/softball is also going to return to the programme and that is going to require around 230 athlete quotas, it begs the questions, where do these 340 quotas come from? 

Looking at the Paris quota breakdown, for the non-core sports (breaking, skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing), given USA will be expecting to medal in skateboarding and surfing, I can't see them being dropped. Likewise, I think sport climbing is becoming established in the programme so would be unlikely to be dropped. This means the only sport not likely to return in Los Angeles is breaking but that only frees up 36 quotas. Boxing, Weightlifting and Modern Pentathlon aren't officially on the schedule yet so you'd have to assume that the quotas will come from those 3 sports. Modern pentathlon probably joins breaking as a goner - freeing up another 72 quotas but that would still leave 200 short. 

Losing 23 individual medal events to be replaced by 4 team medals would seem to be a bit extreme.

I'm assuming Indian media rights have allready been sold for 2028 (if anyone can confirm) and in any case, IOC will bank the extra revenues, not LA 2028.

From a Los Angeles point, there is little to nothing to gain, and there is a cricket stadium to built somewhere... Make little sense tbh. And the quotas issue makes it literraly impossible.

3 minutes ago, Dnl said:

Hey what about addition to already existing sports like Compound to archery or 5x5 to football and thing like that? 

Later process. These disciplines are already covered by established olympic federations. This is about new federations trying to enter the 2028 program.

7 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

It’s funny how I am arguing in favour of a sport like cricket that I never really followed nor is it particularly a sport I want to in the Olympics but just being objective.

I know the feeling :d And yes, cricket is hugely popular in a few countries, but then its popularity drops off a cliff.

Anyway, there is no defintive way to judge of one sport popularity. So one knows, and I don't even really care neither(the trap of arguing stuff on the internet :lol:)

52 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yes cricket has way more relevance around the world than hockey or water polo. I mean hockey isn’t even popular in most of the countries who actually do well in it and that’s a small number to begin with.

Whether you want it in or out is a personal preference but you can’t say it’s any less deserving than hockey or water polo.

Depends on how you look at it, outside the test nations*, cricket is basically a non entity and it's played (when it's played) only by people coming from cricket nations. 

Handball, field hockey, water polo have domestic traditions in many more countries (often small, but still). Cricket is a sport still alien to 90% of the nations of the world.

*Please that someone don't give me the exemple of the Netherlands

50 minutes ago, phelps said:

remember...right now, boxing and weightlifting are out of the 2028 Games...if it's confirmed, it might make room for those sports that need quite some quota places...

That's a good point, bur with climbing, skateboarding and surfing in (and likely,  baseball/softball) it doesn't make for many quotas to spare (an hundred or so)

EDIT:

With Boxing, MP and Weightlifting out, we are saving 444 quotas from Paris program, plus the 32 from breaking not guaranteed to be at LA. Assuming we will have Baseball/Softball with the same format as in Tokyo, it left us with 242 quotas for any other additional sports and/or any of the three sports left out to make a come back. That's really not a lot... 

EDIT2:

With these numbers, it hard to see how boxing could feature in LA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlavalette/2022/04/29/as-plans-gain-steam-for-a-major-ground-in-orange-county-cricket-eyes-los-angeles-olympic-bid/?sh=4dbc1b1f2dea

There is a project to build a cricket stadium in the region, so I guess there is that.

Still a weird list : Some of the usual suspects are missing (Wakeboarding, snooker...); I thought motor sports were banned from the olympics :question:; Lacrosse a sport basically played in two countries; flag football still in very early stages.

Besides any new sport will have to fit into the 10,500 athletes quotas which makes virtualy impossible for a new team sport to enter. Weird.