website statistics
Just now, Monzanator said:

I hate fantasy theme. Lord of the Rings and all that crap. No way I'm gonna waste any time for GoT either ;)

I also don't like fantasy (I'm more of a hard sci-fi guy myself) but GoT drew me in.  It did spin its wheels for a while in the middle seasons and the ending was underwhelming.  But there were some great stories along the way.  I also think watching them without 1-2 years between seasons would help.  

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

I am really surprised by some of the comments on here. I remember before the start of the competition some canadian user said that the canadian men (all sports combined) might not win a single medal in Tokyo and now that they already have 5 medals there are still complaints ...

I would really like to see the predictions by those people ... personally i only expected one silver medal for Canada here (by Warner), so for me Canada is way overperforming already, but maybe thats just me ...

I think if Canada could win 2 or 3 medals in athletics in Tokyo it would be a great result for them and i wouldnt bet anything on them winning more medals than that.

Basically, it came down to De Grasse. He won 3/6 of the medals in athletics for Canada in Rio.  He's been injured and hasn't really produced since then, so it just depended on whether he was back in form for Doha or not.  He definitely seems to be, so going to Tokyo Canada has some good shots at some medals.  Warner was expected, but Dunphee in race walking and Ahmed in the 5000 were surprises.  Not huge shocks since both of them finished 4th in Rio, but they're still probably not favourites for medals next year.  

I'm happy with Canada's performance so far.  Not just medals, but making finals and semis as well.  The only disappointment, if you can call it that, is Warner.  But with decathlon, anything can and often does happen.  

With Mayer out, that was Canada's only real shot at gold here.  Unless the 4x100 M team can work magic, which is not impossible given De Grasse and Brown's performances in Doha so far.  Still, it's a long shot.  Sage Watson could put together a surprise tomorrow in the 400 hurdles since she's been having a great season, but even a medal for her would be incredible.  5 medals so far, and another 1 or 2 would be great leading to Tokyo.  

For years Canada had nothing in swimming or the track, and Rio gave us 6 medals in each.  Canada just got their most medals at the swimming champs this year, and could tie their most in Doha with some break throughs (8 medals).  So that's nice.  

Just now, phelps said:

so, before the last 1500m run...

:EST Uibo 7869 pts (PB over 1500m, 4.25)

:CAN Warner 7854 pts (PB over 1500m, 4.24)

:GER Kaul 7850 pts (PB over 1500m, 4.15)

:RUS Shkurenyov 7826 pts (PB over 1500m, 4.24)

:CAN Lepage 7796 pts (PB over 1500m, I don't know)

Kind of sad to think that if Mayer didn't get injured Warner probably wouldn't even have gotten a medal here.  Heck, Victor may have surpassed him.  

Just now, phelps said:

Kaul passed the last throw in the decathlon's javelin...he's trying to save as much energy as he can for the final 1500m...

Unless Warner has a massive throw in his last try, they're basically tied going into the 1500m, but Kaul has a much better PB.

Just now, LowerSaxony said:

Yeah, I Think it'll be pretty close between Warner, Kaul, Uibo and Shkurenov. Uibo is on fire today.

Yeah, Warner, Uibo and Shkurenov are all pretty even in the remaining events and tied (or pretty much tied) right now.  It'll be an interesting finish for sure.