website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

And yeah I'm ranting about this a little because I'm getting a little tired of one group only calling one other group by name and the other side only calling the first side by name whenever someone from any group does anything. As far as one can even talk about groups.

It's like saying a bear killed someone when a bear killed someone because aggressive, but when a dog killed someone you just say 'oh he probably got scared'.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 05/08/2019 at 23:34, mrv86 said:

Yes, in fact it was one of his first jobs under the "old corrupt regime" as he call it, was to supervise the paramilitary groups that often repressed disent, known as "Halcones". Thanks to that he quickly rose among the party ranks, but defected when said party didn't want to make him candidate for governor of his state.

Who was the best Mexican president after 1945?

33 minutes ago, George_D said:

Who was the best Mexican president after 1945?

Hard to say, but it either could be Adolfo Ruiz Cortines (1952-1958) or Adolfo López Mateos (1958-1964): constant economic growth, no serious political conflicts, industrialization and diversification of the economy.

Of recent times I'd have to say the not so bad were the administrations of Ernesto Zedillo Ponce De León (1994-2000) and Vicente Fox Quesada (2000-2006): good improvements on bureaucratic management, macroenomic growth, good commercial alliances; but they had also many corruption, drugs and money laundering scandals.

The ex-President of :KGZ had his house raided today by KGZ (because I can’t spell that country’s name to save my life) special forces. His supporters began to throw rocks at the special forces and his house was lit on fire (not clear by who from the information I’ve). The majority of the incident was livestreamed by some local media. I don’t know what to make about this as I haven’t read about KGZ politics since the Asian Games last year. I do know that KGZ is one of a few ex-soviet states to actually have a somewhat functional democracy (though it’s still obviously not a true democracy). Hopefully, this isn’t a step in the wrong direction for the country.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The ex-President of :KGZ had his house raided today by KGZ (because I can’t spell that country’s name to save my life) special forces. His supporters began to throw rocks at the special forces and his house was lit on fire (not clear by who from the information I’ve). The majority of the incident was livestreamed by some local media. I don’t know what to make about this as I haven’t read about KGZ politics since the Asian Games last year. I do know that KGZ is one of a few ex-soviet states to actually have a somewhat functional democracy (though it’s still obviously not a true democracy). Hopefully, this isn’t a step in the wrong direction for the country.

I think that speak without know what's happened isn't a smart move...

The former Kyrgizi president is actually accuse of corruption and his house id on fire after the clash between armed supporters (I'm sure that i see some very young people with some rifle...) and special force, 1 member of the special force died yesterday.

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@phelps What was the new Italian law that threatens athletes you mentioned earlier. Could you give me your best impartial explanation?

basically, this is a law that spoils our NOC of its tasks (and independency)...

they have "invented" a new "company" with all officials named by the Government to control and manage all the amateur/everyday sports activities, replacing the existing one under the direct responsibility of our NOC (as the Olympic Statute requires)...

moreover, it's written in the first chapter that the Government has to/can review and change all the NOC decisions about financial, sport politics and people's nominèes...

in practice, the Government takes over all the NOC activities, except for the high level (Olympic) preparation (which depends on public funding already, so they also have control of that "de facto" -but before it was just the total amount of funding given to the NOC and then they could decide how to give it up to the single federations, now all the money would be given through the new company under a stricter control of the Government)...

all things contested by the IOC through a letter they sent to our NOC boss Giovanni Malagò, who's been fighting against this Government and this law for quite some time (and he has to face also a lot of internal opposition, because most of the presidents of the Italian Sport Federations are also heavily connected with -when not fully part of- our political parties...to name one among the toughest Malagò rivals, our Swimming Federation's President Paolo Barelli has been a member of our Senate for at least the last 20 years, always with "Forza Italia", Berlusconi's party)...

so far, the Government has refused to take into consideration any IOC statement...actually, they said the IOC are wrong and the situation is not like they think, but they're just a bunch of liars...

the last chapter (for now) is about a new letter sent by the IOC yesterday, which askes the Italian IOC members, our NOC main officials and our Government representatives (those who wrote that law) to come to Lausanne next September and discuss about this situation, trying to avoid Italy to be sanctioned according to the IOC rules (in perspective, we're going to get the same punishment that Kuwait got for Rio 2016 and most likely the organization of the Winter Games of 2026 will be stripped from Italy if nothing's gonna change in the next few months).

now we can only wait and see what's gonna happen, because after yesterday's voting (about another issue, nothing related to sport questions...it was about the High Velocity Train Lane between Lyon (FRA) and Turin (ITA), another complicated situation here in Italy...where a bunch of idiots -unfortunately among them there's the second party of the Government coalition, the socalled "5 Stelle", ideologically opposing anything new, modern and efficient- can take the 80% of the Country as hostage, delaying -if not completely stopping- one of the most important infrastructures that should be built in our Country :facepalm::wall:) there's a high risk that this Government is going to fall down rather quickly...and in such case we're going to be for months -until a new voting session and the following consultations to make a new Government- without a leadership capable of taking any decision except for the ordinary affairs and administration...

I know Trump sucks, but in terms of overall damage being done that guy is just absolutely meaningless compared to Brazil's Bolsonaro :sick:

https://www.livescience.com/66120-amazon-rainforest-deforestation-bolsonaro.html

Space agency: "Deforestation went up by 80%!"

President: "No, that's a lie. You're fired."

Next month: "Deforestation went up by almost 300%!"

Let's wait for his reaction this time...I'm guessing he considers it good news, less forest is more space for business and mining :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

53 minutes ago, George_D said:

I would like to ask the Italian friends. What is the actual ideology of 5 Star Movement party? There is the perception that it is crypto - anti-immigration and quite euroscepticist

the big problem is that they don't have one...they're just a bunch of opportunistic and stupid people, prone to trust the most improbable fake news...:facepalm:

if we just watch at their political actions so far, for sure we can say they're more rightist than leftist (with all the consequence of that orientation)...that's sure...

eurosceptist? that's about half of the Country...it's not a question of political parties, rather than social classes...only those who are not touched by the loss of economical power and resources to come to the end of the month with some dignity and something to eat everyday and a few youngsters who are still dreaming instead of living the daily struggles are pro-EU...those who have lost their job or have seen their salary heavily cut because of the European requests to cut the public debt surely can't be pro-EU...

their main feature is that they are "against"...they are against progress, they are against any sort of long term investment and against building any new infrastructure, they think all the other political forces are a bunch of corrupted liars and they are the clean side of the Country, but it's well proven that they are worse than any other political party, even Berlusconi's...

about macroeconomics, they seem to embrace the degrowth theory by Serge Latouche, but this is only marginally true, they just give their own (wrong even in this case) interpretation of that (which is already something out of this world, imho...and they can even make worse than that)...

imho, they are just a disaster...something that I wouldn't wish my worst enemy...where they have some local govern responsibility, everything is falling apart (Rome is the biggest example of that, with no more thrash cleaning from the streets, with public transports not working most of the time and a lot of those malfunctions that make life harder for the people who live in those places)...

hopefully, soon this awful experience will end...but who knows what awaits us? we thought that after 20 years of Berlusconi followed by the German slave Monti nothing could be worse, but we got the "5 Stelle"...

so, following the old proverb (when you've touched the ground, you can always start digging), I don't really know what to expect for the future...frankly, at the moment I don't see any new political force nor any new politician that could really be an inspiring figure to stand up and get back to the Country we once were...:cry::facepalm: