website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

• 1 month later...

With the US well into “Spooky Season”, I was wondering what other countries have either adopted Halloween or celebrate some type of similar celebration. I would the UK and Canada celebrate Halloween because of their closeness to American culture, but what about the rest of the world. Halloween’s always been my favorite holiday, even if was only the 4th best as a kid, because it’s close to me birthday. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Halloween came over about two deacdes ago, but it is by far not that big thing as in the US. Of course, all the American TV shows and movies had a huge impact (same is true for bachelor party's) ;) There a some private Halloween party's held but there is basically no one going around playing trick or treat for candy or something. Most of these people doing parties take advantage of the holidays on Oct 31 (Reformation day, Protestant holiday and only holiday in some Northern federal states) and Nov 01 (All Hallow's Eve, Catholic holiday, only holiday in western and southern germany).

Just now, LowerSaxony said:

Halloween came over about two deacdes ago, but it is by far not that big thing as in the US. Of course, all the American TV shows and movies had a huge impact (same is true for bachelor party's) ;) There a some private Halloween party's held but there is basically no one going around playing trick or treat for candy or something. Most of these people doing parties take advantage of the holidays on Oct 31 (Reformation day, Protestant holiday and only holiday in some Northern federal states) and Nov 01 (All Hallow's Eve, Catholic holiday, only holiday in western and southern germany).

Yeah my catholic school always tried to take credit for Halloween because of All Hallows’ Eve, and then got super mad when I asked when else should I worship the devil if not then. I think the local catholic is glad my reign of atheism at their schools is done :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, LDOG said:

It's the same here, younger people throwing "Halloween parties" and just that. 

But it’s not really Halloween until adults chase little kids around with actual chain saws :mumble:

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

With the US well into “Spooky Season”, I was wondering what other countries have either adopted Halloween or celebrate some type of similar celebration. I would the UK and Canada celebrate Halloween because of their closeness to American culture, but what about the rest of the world. Halloween’s always been my favorite holiday, even if was only the 4th best as a kid, because it’s close to me birthday. 

Immigrants from Ireland and other Celtic countries brought the custom to the US :P

Halloween has been celebrated here for centuries, owing its origin to the pagan festival Samhain. These days it's celebrated pretty much in the same way as in America. Lots of parties, trick or treating, people dressing up in costumes (adult and children's parties) and many people buy fireworks and set them off :d

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

Immigrants from Ireland and other Celtic countries brought the custom to the US :P

Halloween has been celebrated here for centuries, owing its origin to the pagan festival Samhain. These days it's celebrated pretty much in the same way as in America. Lots of parties, trick or treating, people dressing up in costumes (adult and children's parties) and many people buy fireworks and set them off :d

Yep, I was actually taught this in school. All Hallows’ Eve was invented by the Catholics to win over Celts. No fireworks in the US, lots of video gaming parties though.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yep, I was actually taught this in school. All Hallows’ Eve was invented by the Catholics to win over Celts. No fireworks in the US, lots of video gaming parties though.

It's the worst night of the year for dogs, because they are already on edge with strangers constantly calling round door to door, and then fireworks going of every couple of minutes :d

Btw, Derry always holds a massive festival on Halloween week. Many people from my town go there on Halloween night since it's very close and it's quite something: