website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

11 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Don't mind me. I don't know where I got that 24th from :lol:

Hope, my friend. Hope.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Other notes:

Laura Dahlmeier is going to do expert commentary for ZDF on what is going to be "selected broadcasts".  She will be at Le Grand Bornard and Antholz for sure.

One of the stranger stories from US Biathlon, Kari Swenson, the US biathlete who was kidnapped while on a training run, has recently given an interview with ESPN and will be on their 30 for 30 podcast stating Tuesday.  There was a made for TV movie about this that is on Youtube.  

16 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Looks like a nice course.  I have never been able to see races here before. Just to  make sure, the 1994 Olympics did not race here, but just down the road.  Thanks for posting the links to the races.

It doesn’t get used very often for Worlds in CC or Biathlon  We sometimes see it when there is no snow elsewhere, or when other courses are rebuilding.

7 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

It doesn’t get used very often for Worlds in CC or Biathlon  We sometimes see it when there is no snow elsewhere, or when other courses are rebuilding.

It looked liked there were no lights on the course.  This could be part of the reason we do not see it too often.

6 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

How is Norway going to deal with Dale's arrival?  Who misses out on the WC spots?

You're aware Dale already competed in a few World Cups last season? :p

Now it should be even less of a problem, since Henrik l'Abee Lund has retired as well. I'm wondering how long it will take before the new generation (other than Dale) gets more chances at the highest level. Sindre Pettersen already did last season as well and did a pretty good job at it, there's also Aleksander Fjeld Andersen, Endre Stromsheim, Vebjoern Soerum and Sivert Guttorm Bakken who seem to be in great shape and/or had a really good season last year. I'd say the likes of Erlend Bjoentegaard or Lars Helge Birkeland (and Vetle Sjastad Christiansen to a lesser extent) are under some serious pressure if they want to keep their World Cup places.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

How is Norway going to deal with Dale's arrival?  Who misses out on the WC spots?

Henrik L'Abee Lund has retired and Sindre Petersen is part of the development team this season, so Dale's spot in the WC team is somewhat safe.

Norway is one of those nations who have 6 men in their Elite team, which is basically the WC team. 

This season it's:

Lars Helge Birkeland

Erlend Oevereng Bjoentegaard

Johannes Thingnes Boe

Tarjei Boe

Vetle Sjaastad Christiansen

Johannes Dale

http://www.skiskyting.no/?module=Articles&action=Article.publicOpen&id=269

The reserves for the first WC are:

Aleksander Fjeld Andersen

Endre Stromsheim

It's interesting to see that Sindre Petersen is not even a reserve for the first WC. I think the Norwegian coaches gave the two reserve spots to Andersen and Stromsheim because of their podium places in Sjusoen. 

Of course the biathletes in the Elite team are not safe at all if they do not perform up to the tough Norwegian standard in men's biathlon. There are a bunch of very good, young biathletes who are ready to take their spots.   

Edited by Wumo

Thanks for the answers, and yes I had remembered that Dale raced on the WC last year.  I guess my comment was more about the extreme depth of the team. 

I wonder if any of the younger ones have a tie to the US.:d  Their team could use them.  

All joking aside Norway men's relay should continue to be really strong.