website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

Just now, szy123 said:

Wait, congrats for him but

How the hell? 

He was 145. in the olympic ranking. Did we miss like 15 withdrawals since the lists came out? Or did nobody ranked higher accept the reallocation of Cuevas' quota? 

I have no idea. I was also shocked. Next in the line should have been :HUN Balasz and :SVK Martin. But COC has confirmed that they recieved the invitation from ITF for Tomáš Mácháč and they accepted it. Happened today.... I guess ITF has been with the invitation what they want. Or I was thinking whether after withdrawals, they may be contacting countries that haven't qualified anyone yet. Which would perfectly fit to Macháč. All non qualified players in front of him are from countries that have already qualified at least one player. Except :AUT where Novak refused .... :CZE also refused from Veselý on the other hand .... So I am not sure really how but very happy cause he can also play mixed doubles with his GF Siniaková. 

2 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I have no idea. I was also shocked. Next in the line should have been :HUN Balasz and :SVK Martin. But COC has confirmed that they recieved the invitation from ITF for Tomáš Mácháč and they accepted it. Happened today.... I guess ITF has been with the invitation what they want. Or I was thinking whether after withdrawals, they may be contacting countries that haven't qualified anyone yet. Which would perfectly fit to Macháč. All non qualified players in front of him are from countries that have already qualified at least one player. Except :AUT where Novak refused .... :CZE also refused from Veselý on the other hand .... So I am not sure really how but very happy cause he can also play mixed doubles with his GF Siniaková. 

One theory I have now is that Sousa was no longer eligible for European quota, as we were wondering here a few days ago. 

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

18 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

It will be very difficult for them to make the combined ranking cut in mixed doubles, despite Siniakova's high ranking in doubles. Of course, we have to see which players will decide to play mixed doubles, but with two wins you get two chances to medal, therefore I think a lot of top players will be tempted to play.   

26 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Do you think they will be ranked high enough to get into mixed doubles? Only 16 teams can make it

Yeah, am aware of that. As for COC, I guess they will apply and see. Depends who will wanna play. But Machac is ranked 967th in doubles???. So I would be a bit sceptical. But let's see. Siniakova No.2 in doubles, Machac No.144 in singles. If they make it, probably as ome of the last couples....

33 minutes ago, maestro said:

It will be very difficult for them to make the combined ranking cut in mixed doubles, despite Siniakova's high ranking in doubles. Of course, we have to see which players will decide to play mixed doubles, but with two wins you get two chances to medal, therefore I think a lot of top players will be tempted to play.   

I agree with this opinion. But their combined ranking should be 146 which gives them descent chances. Let's see. Anyways, can 2 pair from 1 country enter mixed doubles?

4 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I agree with this opinion. But their combined ranking should be 146 which gives them descent chances. Let's see. Anyways, can 2 pair from 1 country enter mixed doubles?

As far as I know yes. In Rio there were 2 USA pairs in the top 3

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

5 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Yes. 146 is way too high for mixed doubles though. The highest combined ranking to ever qualify for a non-host or continental spot was 58.

7 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Yes, a country can have up to two mixed doubles pairs. With 146 combined ranking though, will be very hard to make it. Probably anything more than 60 will not be enough, as long as every available pair registers to play.