website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Russia ban will stay in all probability.........WADA released a report that says Russian athletes have evaded tests....Russian authorities have threatened officials....Use different tricks to evade tests....

So, after this disclosure, it is expected that the ban will stay

2 hours ago, Vaibhav (minchu) said:

You wanna think of it as tragic or may be a conspiracy against Indian boxers (given the unfavorable results of recent past), but we have stooped down big from where we had reached once. I can't help but remorse thinking about Beijing and London, when all one could see was increasing number of our boxers entering late knock-out stages. Specially London. Since we had so so close bouts for most of our boxers, the immediate feel was of getting revenge by improving to one step more in next games. And look at where we are!! It makes me really sad.

And yes. Thanks. I was in awe of the level of analysis you'd been putting here, so had to join :)

Nah I agree...dont think it is a case of just bad judging. Since London, undoubtedly, boxing has had the biggest decline. Bad judging may happen against Kaz and Aze and hosts and few top boxers, but unlikely to be the reason we are losing to unknown Spanish boxers and barely scraping by Puerto Rican and Guatemalan boxers...

Edited by kapil857

4 hours ago, Vaibhav (minchu) said:

You wanna think of it as tragic or may be a conspiracy against Indian boxers (given the unfavorable results of recent past), but we have stooped down big from where we had reached once. I can't help but remorse thinking about Beijing and London, when all one could see was increasing number of our boxers entering late knock-out stages. Specially London. Since we had so so close bouts for most of our boxers, the immediate feel was of getting revenge by improving to one step more in next games. And look at where we are!! It makes me really sad.

And yes. Thanks. I was in awe of the level of analysis you'd been putting here, so had to join :)

Yes I agree about this conspiracy thing. We need a strong presence in AIBA. And after all the scandals and a lot of unfair results I should say Boxing no longer deserves to be in the Olympics. It should be removed in next cycle. Stay away from Olympics for one Olympic Games atleast, clean your shit, assure IOC of your cleanliness and come back

23 minutes ago, Smit said:

Yes I agree about this conspiracy thing. We need a strong presence in AIBA. And after all the scandals and a lot of unfair results I should say Boxing no longer deserves to be in the Olympics. It should be removed in next cycle. Stay away from Olympics for one Olympic Games atleast, clean your shit, assure IOC of your cleanliness and come back

The scoring system must be transparent as in case of other contact sports like wrestling .

I think personally we seem to mixing up two things 

Indian Boxing - We have messed up big time as IABF -  This is the news of Dec 2012 after which IABF was suspended 

The IABF amended its constitution ahead of its September election to create the chairman's post to accommodate Abhay Singh Chautala at the end of his 12-year reign as the federation president.  That paved the way for his unopposed election as president of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Wednesday, a day after the IOC banned the body for allowing government interference in its poll.  Even though the AIBA suspension is a direct fallout of the Olympic ban, the Indian boxing federation's September election is now under investigation.  "This provisional suspension is also due to the fact that AIBA had learned about possible manipulation of the recent IABF's election," the governing body of amateur boxing said in a statement.

the sports ministry - News in 2012  Compounding the pressure, India's sports ministry also announced on Friday that it had suspended the IABF, effectively cutting off the sport's government funding. - there was no proper funding for the boxers 

This is vijender s comment after that in dec 2012 

"The next AIBA event is quite far away but hopefully we would not sit on it for too long and get the suspension revoked as soon as possible."

But our federation sat on it till last month .............................4 years ..this is the news item of 2016 four years later 

Hope for Indian boxing, elections to set up new body on May 8

what kind of international success do we expect when there is no association no govt funding etc..............

( whether the scoring patterns are accurate etc is a different matter ............... ans of course they should changed)  ...our boxers are doing badly not because of the scoring patterns or conspiracy theory but because we have had no assoc or funding ..... some boxers like shiva,  vikas, sumit  and manoj are funded by OGQ...so will do well but others are in bad state  ......we will have a maximum of 2-3 quota places in boxing ...........

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Weightlifting

Saikhom Mirabai Chanu sets new NR in womens 48kg with a snatch of 85kg in weightlifting selection trials for Rio Olympics

Mirabai Chanu equals Kunjurani Devi's NR in clean & jerk (107kg) and sets NR in total with 192 kg (85+107) at olympic trials

Mirabai Chanu & Satish Sivalingam to represent India at Rio

37 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Weightlifting

Saikhom Mirabai Chanu sets new NR in womens 48kg with a snatch of 85kg in weightlifting selection trials for Rio Olympics

Mirabai Chanu equals Kunjurani Devi's NR in clean & jerk (107kg) and sets NR in total with 192 kg (85+107) at olympic trials

Thats great news 192 is close to medal at rio  ...medal in rio will be around 194 I feel ....and she  has improved a further 2 kgs since the asian qualifiers :clap:

This is the first time since Karnams medal in sydney, that we have a world class female weightlifter , she can be added to any prospective medal list for India ...

how much did satish lift ?.... I actually felt vikas may be the better option ....... but if satish came close / crossed 330 in total then he has some chance of being in the top 12 or so ?

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

5 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Thats great news 192 is close to medal at rio  ...medal in rio will be around 194 I feel ....and she  has improved a further 2 kgs since the asian qualifiers :clap:

This is the first time since Karnams medal in sydney, that we have a world class female weightlifter , she can be added to any prospective medal list for India ...

how much did satish lift ?.... I actually felt vikas may be the better option ....... but if satish came close / crossed 330 in total then he has some chance of being in the top 12 or so ?

Sivalingam Sathish Kumar earned the ticket for Rio after finishing on top among male lifters with a total of 336kg in 77kg weight division. He lifted 151kg in snatch and 185kg in clean & jerk

46 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Weightlifting

awesome just 3 kg below his own record in the 77 kg category ...this would be around 12-15 best in the world in 2015 ........which is great score ...... I am sure he can try to cross 340 in the olympics which if he does means he can come in the top 10 which for mens weightlifting would be a great result ....................any news on how vikas thakur did in the 85 I felt he was doing very well too 

Edited by nitinsanker