website statistics

Modern Pentathlon at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

I think the central problem MP at the Olympics is this insistance on being a last weekend event.  If they

• Kept the existing format
  • Switched the stadium events to Day 1 + 2 when not many medals are given out
  • Held the Fencing RR on Day -1 or 0 like the Archery RR

It would all be a lot more attractive & get more TV attention. But it’s never going to get a huge audience against the big team sport final rounds.

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I think the central problem MP at the Olympics is this insistance on being a last weekend event.  If they

• Kept the existing format
  • Switched the stadium events to Day 1 + 2 when not many medals are given out
  • Held the Fencing RR on Day -1 or 0 like the Archery RR

It would all be a lot more attractive & get more TV attention. But it’s never going to get a huge audience against the big team sport final rounds.

And even more so having it on the same day as the show jumping and having one of the laser run’s clash with the start of the evening athletics season. I wonder how many countries showed it live on their main channel outside of the BBC 

6 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

And even more so having it on the same day as the show jumping and having one of the laser run’s clash with the start of the evening athletics season. I wonder how many countries showed it live on their main channel outside of the BBC 

I watched the OG on the Eurosport 90%+ of the time but as I gathered :HUN public television kept changing from its main event coverage for a brief time when a Hungarian competitor was coming up somewhere else.

So I can imagine that they have shown live only the 2 brief segments where the :HUN were riding/running/shooting etc and then changed back to what they were showing originally. But the whole event, no way of course

Just now, pdr4332 said:

I watched the OG on the Eurosport 90%+ of the time but as I gathered :HUN public television kept changing from its main event coverage for a brief time when a Hungarian competitor was coming up somewhere else.

So I can imagine that they have shown live only the 2 brief segments where the :HUN were riding/running/shooting etc and then changed back to what they were showing originally. But the whole event, no way of course

Here in the Uk yesterday the jumping was on the secondary feed of the BBC live with extended highlights shown on the main channel before the entire laser run was shown live while today the British pair swimming heat was shown I think live but the jumping was not (at least not in it’s entirely) live on any channel other than Discovery + but extended highlights were shown before the Laser run was entirely live. 

4 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Is the new format 8 or 12 in the laser run? Samantha Murray on the BBC said eight earlier on but the trial used both formats and I can’t find confirmation that it’s been settled yet. 

Budapet trial in April had 12 for women and 18 for men, so there's no consistency so far.. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

The women's laser run was on one of the main channels here in Denmark. Didn't notice if the men's was.

Fencing

1st :GBR Joe Choong - 25+1 (252 points) / :GER Annika Schleu - 29+0 (274 points)

36th :UZB Alexander Savkin - 7+0 (142 points) / :ECU Marcela Cuaspud - 4+0 (124 points)

Swimming

1st :USA Amro El Geziry - 1:52.96 (325 points) / :ROC Gulnaz Gubaydullina - 2:07.31 (296 points)

36th :AUS Ed Fernon - 2:10.85 (289 points) / :BRA Maria Iêda Guimarães - 2:32.16 (246 points)

Feels like fencing is way too important while swimming doesn't really matter too much.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.