website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2017

hckošice

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

The free fall was one of the things I was most looking forward to, German TV spent like 20 minutes talking about it and showing it from all angles yesterday and now in the end we won''t even see it :p 

People just love to make such hypes at these events. :p

I've seen more stunning "free falls" (khm... Altenmarkt).

#banbestmen

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIS ALPINE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

v2H+QX54IegN0OnrB8mrR+Prge6PtUDXQ90faoHu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women's Downhill
Final Results

SLO.gif STUHEC Ilka
1:32.85

AUT.gif VENIER Stephanie
1:33.25

USA.gif VONN Lindsey
1:33.30

Stuhec golden in St. Moritz downhill

Z

The weather Gods cooperated and the ladies’ were able to crown their downhill World Champion as Slovenia’s Ilka Stuhec lived up to all expectations and claimed the gold medal in St. Moritz.

Stuhec, who topped both downhill training runs, finished 0.40 seconds ahead of Austrian Stephanie Venier and 0.45 seconds ahead of American Lindsey Vonn.

It was Stuhec’s first career World Championship medal as she continues to have an incredible season. Despite being on the World Cup circuit since 2007 it took until this season for Stuhec to earn her first World Cup podium, which came in Lake Louise. Since then, she has earned five victories and six total podiums.Now she can also add World Champion to her CV.

“I’m amazed,” an emotional Stuhec said after her victory. “I knew it was possible, but still to stand as the World Champion here is unreal to me. Words can’t express what this means. I think the reality will sink in a little later.”

It was also the first medal for Venier, who took home the silver. She was an outside chance to make the podium as she has only one career World Cup podium, which came a few weeks ago in Garmisch Partenkirchen in the super-G.

On the other end of the spectrum, is Vonn, who is one of the most decorated female Alpine racers ever. Today’s bronze was Vonn’s seventh total World Championship medal.

"I'm very happy with today," said Vonn after the race. "I heard that I'm now the oldest female World Championship medal winners and after my injuries the last year, I couldn't ask for more."

After a rare fog bank over the middle of the course forced the cancellation of yesterday’s men’s downhill, tensions were high in the lead-up to today’s ladies’ downhill as the same weather pattern looked likely. But the ladies’ raced in a perfect window under blue skies and in front of a crowd of more than 50,000.

After the completion of the ladies’ race, it was still planned to stage the men’s race at 13:30.

Full Results Here

Ilka Stuhec

Downhill World Champion 2017

Race Replay

FIS ALPINE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

v2H+QX54IegN0OnrB8mrR+Prge6PtUDXQ90faoHu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men's Downhill
Final Results

SUI.gif FEUZ Beat
1:38.91

CAN.gif GUAY Erik
1:39.03

AUT.gif FRANZ Max
1:39.28

Fairytale finish for Feuz with downhill gold

9k=

With the hopes of an entire nation on his shoulders, Switzerland’s Beat Feuz delivered, winning the World Championship gold medal on home snow in St. Moritz.

Wearing what proved to be lucky bib 13, Feuz took over the lead from teammate Patrick Kueng, who ultimately finished in fourth place. Canada’s Erik Guay gave Feuz some tense moments as he was on pace to take his second gold medal of these championships, but fell short by a mere 0.12 seconds. Austrian Max Franz claimed the bronze medal, 0.37 seconds off the pace.

The race was a thriller, with the lead constantly changing hands and racers edging each other by razor-thin margins. The 50,000 fans were biting their nails as Feuz came down at each interval in the green. They had to continue to sit on the edge of their seats as several racers came close to dethroning Feuz, but ultimately could not spoil the fairytale.

“To win this gold medal at home in front of Swiss fans, I couldn’t have asked for anything more,” said Feuz after the race. “It was a close race today and anyone could have taken the win, but I’m really happy that it’s me to win the gold.”

It was the fifth medal of the World Championships for the host nation as the Swiss speed team has lived up to all expectations in the first five races in St. Moritz. For Feuz, it was his second World Championship medal after earning the downhill bronze in 2015 in Beaver Creek.

Guay ended these World Championships with a gold and a silver medal – a major surprise for the Canadian team, which now has three medals in St. Moritz.

“I get to walk away from these World Championships with a gold and a silver medal which is more than I could have every hoped for,” said Guay. “I’m just over the moon with how everything worked out, and I can go home very happy.”

It was Franz’s first World Championship medal and he was happy to bring home the second medal of the day after Stephanie Venier earned the ldaies’ downhill silver earlier in the day.

“Everything worked well for me today,” said Franz. “When I came down and crossed the finish and saw that I was in third, I was surprised. It’s great to take home a medal from this race.”

Tomorrow, the men are back in action with the alpine combined. The downhill begins at 10:00 CET and the slalom has a 13:00 start.

Full Results Here

Beat Feuz

Downhill World Champion 2017

Race Replay

Michel Macedo :BRA still hasn't recovered, I guess we won't see him :(

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

How many women/men from the GS/SL qualifying will go through to the main event? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How many women/men from the GS/SL qualifying will go through to the main event? 

page 3 and 4, sir :hatoff:

http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/MajorEvents/06/36/57/FISRuleprecisionsspecifictotheAlpineFISWSC2017_05.12.2016_Neutral.pdf