website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

There would be no positives in sharing the medal. The judges did everything to promote the American and screw the Romanian and they probably realize the world actually still pays attention to this sport and see the biased scoring so they found a technical reason not to look biased for once.

Updated Results
as of August 11th, 2024

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women's Floor Exercise
Final Results

:BRA Rebeca ANDRADE

:USA Simone BILES

:ROU Ana BARBOSU

Full Final Results HERE
Full Qualification Results HERE

This whole thing is, quite honestly, absurd. Two wrongs don't make a right, and this is exactly what happened in this situation.

What I understand is:

1. Chiles filed an inquiry based on her difficulty score. One of her leaps was not validated (it was not completed), so she asked the judges to review the leap so she could gain 0.1 more in difficulty. Astonishingly, it's very clear that the leap wad NOT fully rotated, but judges somehow decided that it was complete and awarded her 0.1 more in difficulty, which put her ahead of Bărbosu.

Now, questioning whether the leap was fully rotated or not would open a can of worms because it would come down to interpretations of the code of points, and this would not lead anywhere. It depends on the angles where the judges are sitting and the pressure of delivering a definitive verdict in less than a minute, so a medal would never be stripped based on this;

2. Voinea was penalized with a neutral deduction (-0.1) because judges thought she had stepped out of bounds. Her mother and coach could have challenged this penalty, but instead she challenged Voinea's difficulty score, which was clearly hit by Voinea's somewhat poor execution at some points. Not the most thoughtful move. Challenging the penalty after the competition would not lead anywhere because the rules allowed her to challenge the penalty during the competition and she didn't;

3. Bărbosu did not really have any reason to complain about her scores. She presented her routine and was scored accordingly.

Given the technical procedures, I understand that Romania found a breach so the country could have a medal. Romania is not wrong at all. They have every right to contest the situation and the discovery of the inquiry being accepted 4 seconds too late is a genius move. Romania dodged a bullet by not accusing the execution judges of being biased (which they were, but it's nearly impossible to prove this objectively).

Now, if we want justice, we have to understand that Voinea is the true winner of the bronze medal. She was penalized unfairly and had her mother challenged the penalty at the time, she would have had a medal for herself. Bărbosu has a medal now, and this is great for Romania, but the one who really deserved the medal is still empty-handed because the judges made a mistake. No matter how we look at it, there are no winners here.

Edited by thiago_simoes

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Now, if we want justice, we have to understand that Voinea is the true winner of the bronze medal. She was penalized unfairly and had her mother challenged the penalty at the time, she would have have a medal for herself. Bărbosu has a medal now, and this is great for Romania, but the one who really deserved the medal is still empty-handed because the judges made a mistake. No matter how we look at it, there are no winners here.

Damn, I thought it was simply a matter of either Chiles or Barbosu getting the bronze, but this is even sadder. Literally everyone involved lost here :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

53 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Damn, I thought it was simply a matter of either Chiles or Barbosu getting the bronze, but this is even sadder. Literally everyone involved lost here :( 

Yup. The most ridiculous part of this situation is that the person who should actually have the bronze medal isn’t even in the conversation to receive the bronze medal.

This is horrible for everyone - all three gymnasts.  No one really can celebrate. None of the gymnasts did anything wrong.   I feel for Jordan as she was "unlucky" and missed the AA due to the two person rule from one country and now this. To think you won an olympic medal then bam its gone.  Kind of like Charlie Brown kicking that football and Lucy grabbed it from him. The medal was snatched out of their hands.

And now :USA is appealing the decision, claiming they have video evidence that the inquiry was filed with 13 seconds to spare, not four seconds late.

Once again, reminder that no matter what the athlete that should be in third won’t get a bronze medal regardless of the outcome.

Edited by NearPup

16 hours ago, NearPup said:

I don’t think there is a precedent for a medal being taken away due to a judging error, and plenty of precedents for it being shared (1992 women’s solo artistic swimming, 2002 pairs figure skating and, most recently and imo most relevant, 2022 women’s ski cross)

2004 Eventing team and individual was a judge/rule Interpretation error with no shared medal. 

Edited by Orangehair43

USA has filed another appeal saying there is new evidence and that their original filing was within one minute..  Yes, ironaicall the fourth place finisher who arguable should havve the bronze as she did not step out of bounds will never get the bronze.  It will be either Ana or Jordan.   Or bothif the IOC goes back and say both can have bronze. I think all three should get bronze. But it looks like the USA might get the bronze now.  Honestly whoever gets the bronze it is so tainted.  What a mess.  Whoever gets the bronze medal please take it with gratitude and don't make a commment about winning.. Shut up  and let this mess die.