website statistics

Mountain Bike Cycling at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

44 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Only 2.5 weeks. He’s not out because he has covid but because of fitness, so that could be troubling nonetheless. Hope he can recover in time.

Symptoms of CoVid that go beyond a minor inconvenience will mean he is not 100% for the Tdf - don't think this is going to influence the MtB at Paris in a few weeks time. He will miss a few days training while he recovers which I'd argue is less of a negative than completing the full rigours of the tour.

5 minutes ago, RussB said:

Symptoms of CoVid that go beyond a minor inconvenience will mean he is not 100% for the Tdf - don't think this is going to influence the MtB at Paris in a few weeks time. He will miss a few days training while he recovers which I'd argue is less of a negative than completing the full rigours of the tour.

Yeah, most likely it will be fine or more or less being at 118% instead of 120%. So a minor inconvenience at worst. At least if illness will not be more serious, that is.

47 minutes ago, dodge said:

There isn’t in cycling, so we can assume other sports are similar

Plenty are sick and have had to pull out, but others have said to have tested positive and continued 

I meant specifically for the Olympics. IOC said nothing on the matter AFAIK.

1 hour ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Only 2.5 weeks. He’s not out because he has covid but because of fitness, so that could be troubling nonetheless. Hope he can recover in time.

Surely that is a distinction without a difference - given he was second on stage 9 last week, his fitness levels would seem to have been just fine prior to falling ill with Covid. 

11 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Surely that is a distinction without a difference - given he was second on stage 9 last week, his fitness levels would seem to have been just fine prior to falling ill with Covid. 

Well, I mean Geraint is continuing while having COVID. So it isn’t like he isn’t feeling anything from it at all.

21 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

That was a much different kind of stage to be fair. That was a “standard” breakaway day but he’s struggled in the harder stages in this Tour

So he’s out because illness is affecting his form, rather than simply because he failed a Covid test