website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Men's 100m Freestyle:

image.png

Another strong event for GB with possibly 6 athletes competing for 4 relay spots. Richards should take one of the individual spots and will probably be joined by either Dean or Scott.

Men's 50m Freestyle:

image.png

Ben Proud should be a shoe-in for selection so it is just a question whether anyone will be joining him. Best chance probably will be with Richards or Burras. 

Men's 200m Backstroke:

image.png

Luke Greenbank looks to be getting back to form and is just outside the BST this year. Oliver Morgan and Brodie Williams got the standard last year and should be in the mix again this year. A wildcard pick could be Commonwealth Youth champion Matthew Ward - there's a good chance he can bring his PB down again but it will be difficult for him to get a top two finish.

Men's 100m Backstroke:

image.png

Oliver Morgan and Jonathon Adam could/should both get the standard, but Cameron Brooker isn't too far off the BST. Although Luke Greenbank is back in the mix for the 200, I can't see him getting the standard in the shorter distance. As with the 200m, I expect Matthew Ward to bring his PB down, but I don't think he'll be able to hit the BST. 

Men's 200m Breaststroke:

image.png

Nobody has the BST and James Wilby likely to be the only swimmer who will come close to achieving it this week although we could see new PB from Gregory Butler. 

Men's 100m Breaststroke:

image.png

All eyes will be on Adam Peaty on day 1 - not to see whether he gets the BST but rather what time can he put down. Although the results may not have gone in his favour in Doha, the times he has posted early season are on par with what he achieved going into previous Olympic Games. The question then will be whether he can show the same progression that we saw in 2016/2021. James Wilby should get the second spot although will be interesting to see if Gregory Butler and Archie Goodburn can break the 1 minute mark.

Men's 200m Butterfly:

image.png

Easiest prediction of the week - nobody will hit the BST in the 200m Butterfly. Even in PB shape, Beeley would need to shave off 2 seconds which whilst it doesn't sound a lot, is a tough ask in this event.

Men's 100m Butterfly:

image.png

GB should be able to get two swimmers within the BST. Jacob Peters will start as one of the favourites having achieved the standard last year. along with James Guy, but there are a couple of others who, if in PB shape, could challenge for a podium place and challenge the BST.

Men's 400m Individual Medley:

image.png

Max Litchfield should be able to book his ticket to Paris fairly comfortably but will be interesting to see if he can go below 4:10.00. Although he secured the silver medal in Doha, realistically, he's likely to need a 2 or 3 second PB if he has aspirations of getting on to the podium in Paris.

Men's 200m Individual Medley:

image.png

Barring disaster, both Tom Dean and Duncan Scott will get the nod for the event. Although there are a couple of others who could potentially get the standard but I don't see any of them getting selected ahead of Dean and Scott. 

Squad Predictions Women:

Amelie Blocksidge - 1500m Freestyle

Freya Colbert - 200m Freestyle / 400m IM

Anna Hopkin - 100m Freestyle / 50m Freestyle

Laura Stephens - 200m Butterfly

Keanna MacInnes - 200m Butterfly

Angharad Evans - 100m Breaststroke

Kara Hanlon - 100m Breaststroke

Lauren Cox - 100m Backstroke

Kathleen Dawson - 100m Backstroke

Katie Shanahan - 200m Backstroke / 400m IM / 200m IM

Honey Osrin - 200m Backstroke

Abbie Wood - 200m IM

Squad Predictions Men:

Daniel Jervis - 1500m Freestyle

Kieran Bird - 400m Freestyle

Ben Proud - 50m Freestyle

Adam Peaty - 100m Breaststroke

James Wilby - 100m Breaststroke

Oliver Morgan - 100m Backstroke / 200m Backstroke

Jonathon Adam - 100m Backstroke

Max Litchfield - 400m IM

Matt Richards - 100m Freestyle / 200m Freestyle 

Duncan Scott - 100m Freestyle / 200m IM

Tom Dean - 200m IM / 200m Freestyle

Jacob Peters - 100m Butterfly

James Guy - 100m Butterfly 

Luke Greenbank - 200m Backstroke

Lewis Burras - 50m Freestyle

That's a total of 27 individual spots and doesn't give any provision for relay teams so the selectors could have some very difficult decisions to make - hopefully the first one they make is to get rid of the ridiculous arbitrary squad size of 30. 

10 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Men's 100m Freestyle:

image.png

Another strong event for GB with possibly 6 athletes competing for 4 relay spots. Richards should take one of the individual spots and will probably be joined by either Dean or Scott.

Men's 50m Freestyle:

image.png

Ben Proud should be a shoe-in for selection so it is just a question whether anyone will be joining him. Best chance probably will be with Richards or Burras. 

Honestly in the 100 I think Whittle could sneak the 2nd spot behind Richards. The switch to the Bath performance Centre looks to be working wonders for him; he went 46.3 at European Short Course Champs in December despite having pretty horrific starts and underwaters. Between him or Scott for that second spot imo, Dean's 100 Free hasn't looked great the last 18 months.

35 minutes ago, Surreal said:

Honestly in the 100 I think Whittle could sneak the 2nd spot behind Richards. The switch to the Bath performance Centre looks to be working wonders for him; he went 46.3 at European Short Course Champs in December despite having pretty horrific starts and underwaters. Between him or Scott for that second spot imo, Dean's 100 Free hasn't looked great the last 18 months.

I think the 100m Free is so stacked that it wouldn't surprise me if he did take the second spot - there's a few commentators who have argued that Whittle could put in a flyer to take second and get the BST.

In the end, I've opted for Scott to get the second place, partly as he's a fellow :SCO but equally because not having competed, it is difficult to know what kind of form Dean is in. As I've spent more time looking at results, I am more inclined to think that Dean finishes off the podium but it has also made me wonder whether Lewis Burras will be able to recapture his form from last year and spring a surprise.

8 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Squad Predictions Women:

Amelie Blocksidge - 1500m Freestyle

Freya Colbert - 200m Freestyle / 400m IM

Anna Hopkin - 100m Freestyle / 50m Freestyle

Laura Stephens - 200m Butterfly

Keanna MacInnes - 200m Butterfly

Angharad Evans - 100m Breaststroke

Kara Hanlon - 100m Breaststroke

Lauren Cox - 100m Backstroke

Kathleen Dawson - 100m Backstroke

Katie Shanahan - 200m Backstroke / 400m IM / 200m IM

Honey Osrin - 200m Backstroke

Abbie Wood - 200m IM

Squad Predictions Men:

Daniel Jervis - 1500m Freestyle

Kieran Bird - 400m Freestyle

Ben Proud - 50m Freestyle

Adam Peaty - 100m Breaststroke

James Wilby - 100m Breaststroke

Oliver Morgan - 100m Backstroke / 200m Backstroke

Jonathon Adam - 100m Backstroke

Max Litchfield - 400m IM

Matt Richards - 100m Freestyle / 200m Freestyle 

Duncan Scott - 100m Freestyle / 200m IM

Tom Dean - 200m IM / 200m Freestyle

Jacob Peters - 100m Butterfly

James Guy - 100m Butterfly 

Luke Greenbank - 200m Backstroke

Lewis Burras - 50m Freestyle

That's a total of 27 individual spots and doesn't give any provision for relay teams so the selectors could have some very difficult decisions to make - hopefully the first one they make is to get rid of the ridiculous arbitrary squad size of 30. 

They won’t. If anything they probably want less than 30 for cost reasons.